imperial stout question #5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barside laundry

Reaction score
I racked my Imp. Stout into the secondary last week and plan on letting sit until November and then bottle it. I am planning on adding Champagne yeast but I am not sure when. Thoughts? The final gravity is still 1027 which is high but that could be because: A. the yeast is dead or B. Its done fermenting and there are a lot of unfermentables in the beer.

As always, thanks ahead of time.

Hm, not really sure you even need to add the extra yeast. If you just racked it to secondary it will probably go a little farther down. But from your post we can't really tell how long you had it in primary, how high the gravity was to begin with, what yeast you used, etc. Not knowing all that, I bet if it gets down to 1.024 or so, you would be fine. The extra yeast would probably do a good job of drying it out if thats what you want. You might want a little sweetness to counter the usually high hop rate of an Imperial Stout.

DT

Champagne yeast is a slow yeast, so add it now. Ideally, you would keg it with the yeast. Makes for an amazingly fine head.

I used california ale yeast. It was in the primary for 2 weeks. the OG was 1098.

I have never added champagne yeast before, do I have to rehydrate it or just pour it in?

My plan is too add the champagne yeast today, let it sit in the secondary for 3.5 months and then bottle. sound good?

Back