So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making 5 gallons of a saison on Saturday. My parents are taking the kids for the day and SWMBO will be out shopping with a friend. House all to myself. Lovin' it.

Had a stroke of genius! Smoke that Pork Butt in the freezer this weekend while the wife is away! Work on car and brew beer and eat pulled pork and drink too much beer!!

or bite the bullet and haul my woodworking tools downstate and help the MIL with some house projects...

I'm afraid of Karma right now.

I'm brewing this weekend. I bought a house back in October, and haven't had much time since then, but I think I'll finally have a weekend where I don't have anything really planned. I went and picked up ingredients yesterday for 3 gallons of Edwort's Haus Pale from AHS's new location here in Austin. The new location is really hard to find, since there's no visible sign, and if you miss it, you have a nightmare of one way highway frontage roads to navigate in order to turn around. Their new showroom is pretty nice, though.

This is gonna be very relaxing. :cool:

Had a stroke of genius! Smoke that Pork Butt in the freezer this weekend while the wife is away! Work on car and brew beer and eat pulled pork and drink too much beer!!

I'm afraid of Karma right now.

if you aren't doing all this in your underwear and a wifebeater then Kharma certainly will bite you in the ass.

Just got a bunch of flip-top bottles off craigslist, gonna brew up a RIS for this winter and fill em up! (It will probably be better the winter after that though, lets see if it'll last). :)

Brewing a German pilsner this Sunday. It's going to be fo my buddys 30th birthday. Then brewing up an ESB for another friends birthday.
Love excuses to brew!

Just had the most brutal brew day ... wife took kids to grandparents until tomorrow afternoon so I ran to the LHBS to pickup supplies for a Dogfish 60 clone even tho I have two Brew Builder batches coming tomorrow from Brewmasters Warehouse

LHBS didn't have 66% of the hops I need

Pretty sure he didn't grind in the 6oz of Marris Otter I needed ( didn't realize till later )

He double charged me for a pound of DME ( didn't realize till later )

Get home to inspect keggles ... forgot to clean them after last batch ( two weeks ago ) ... they're an absolute mess ... takes a while to get them all clean

Can't get the burners working on my brew stand ... have to use the turkey fryer which means lifting & moving the very hot keggles multiple times

Stuck sparge

Stuck boil kettle!! probably crap from forgetting to clean ... dumped 1/2 gallon of water into MLT to see if I can get pump primed ... nope ... dump all of boil kettle into MLT, forgetting about the 1/2 gallon of water ... SG ends .011 points low

Hose side of plate chiller springs a leak

Look at primary fermenter and realize that's probably oxi clean in there rather than star san ... this is with 5 minutes left in the boil

Dump stir plate into primary

Dog crapped on rug

Making 5 gallons of IPA tonight. The garage will be a sweatshop but this time of year it comes with the territory.

Brewed a bitter yesterday in the hot humid weather...it was in record timing though. From start to finish ( including cleaning and sanitizing equipment) it took 5 hours.

I feel dead today...but at least its rockin away with a nice krausen! :)

For the first time I brewed two batches in one session on a 95 degree day. Went pretty well except for dumping boiling wort on my hand. I was distracted because the neighbors were curious what the hell I was doing. Did 10 gallons each of Franzikaner Hefeweissen and Wounded Knee IPA.

180-brewing.jpg

Yesterday I brewed a Fat Tire clone. It's my first time fermenting in my Johnson Control-led deep freeze, and it seems to be going beautifully.

Brewing right now as I type, waiting the 60min mashing time.
Brewing a wit beer, my own recipe as follow, 5gal batch:
4.5# white wheat malt
1.5# pilsen malt
1/2# Briesss aromatic
1# Briess Munich 10L
2# flaked wheat
1# rice hulls
1/2 oz Hallertauer for 60min
1 oz Hallertauer for 5min
1/4 oz cracked coriander
1 oz sweet orange
1 oz bitter orange
1 tsp irish moss for 20min

Mashing at 153F.
S33 dry yeast

Expected numbers:
OG=1.046
FG=1.009
ABV=4.7%
IBU=10
SRM=6

Really itching to test both a) my roommate's new MiniMash MLT and b) our new chest freezer for fermentation temp control (and also pump setup for wort chilling). A lot of new stuff to test in one brew - hopefully it's ready this weekend in time for a Yeti clone.

Brewing the Lady Liberty Pale Ale from Palmer's How to Brew on July 4. Picking up the grain, hops, and yeast tomorrow. The empty keg in the freezer is crying out for a quaffable summer beer!

Edit:

APA is in the fermenter, cooling to pitching temp.

Brewing up 8 gals of an American Amber tomorrow morning. Going to split it between two 5 gal fermenters. One half will get blackberries, and the other half is a toss up between dryhopping and blackberries/bugs.

Just brewed 5gal of a Smithwicks and introduced a guy to the world of brewing. First fermentation in the new chamber too, hope it holds the temp, I guess we'll see in the morning.

Might try to squeeze in an ESB tomorrow.

July 4th pale ale brew im calling ALE TO THE CHEIF. 9 pounds 2row .5 pound 2row toasted 2 ounces amerillo hops so i think it could be a SMaSH ale? God bless America!!:D

For the first time I brewed two batches in one session on a 95 degree day. Went pretty well except for dumping boiling wort on my hand. I was distracted because the neighbors were curious what the hell I was doing. Did 10 gallons each of Franzikaner Hefeweissen and Wounded Knee IPA.

180-brewing.jpg

Sweet setup. I kegged 15 gallons of Wounded Knee today and brewed 15 gallons of Bavarian Hefeweizen.

Making this today:

9Lbs 2-row
1lb brown malt
1lb crystal 40
.75lb roast barley
.25lb chocolate 350
.5 wheat

Mashing at 152f

OG hopefully 1.053-1.055.

30 IBUs from two additions of Willamette hops, 60 and 10 mins.

Gonna ferment it with Burton Ale yeast at 68f.

My experiment, turning JZ's brown porter into a stout with some American ingredients and more fruit from the yeast.

This is my first beer using a stir plate, temp controller, and oxygen tank w/stone. Hope it works well!

I didn't brew this weekend, but I did rig up a temporary toolbox-mounted pump. I plan to redo the way I'm mounting the pump, but for now I should at least be able to brew with it the way it is. I just need a couple more fittings from HD/Lowes, and then I'll be ready to use my plate chiller on the next batch.

I also designed a new recipe that I'm kind of excited to try out. I think it's going to taste great, but only time will tell.

About to mash in with an IPA

13 lb 2-row
3 lb Munich
1 lb 60L

Hopped every 10 minutes starting 30 minutes into the boil with a mixture of Chinook and Cascade, increasing the percentage of Cascade and decreasing the Chinook through the 90 minute boil. Dry hopping with additional Cascade.

Cheers!

Doing Midwest's Irish Stout extract kit tonight.

Tomorrow I'm doing their Octane IPA all grain kit.

To accompany me I bought a sixer of Flying Dog's Snake Dog IPA.

Fun weekend in store.

Making a variation on the Bass clone that Biermuncher has posted.
8 lbs MO
2.5 lbs flaked corn
.5 lb 60L
.5 lb honey malt
.14 lb roasted barley
3 oz EKG
notty dry

strike water is heating now....

I need to keg the Janet's Brown from BCS and gonna try my hand at a CDA (BIPA or whatever you wanna call it) this week. That's the last recipe I have planned atm, so I need to fire up qbrew and figure out what's next.

Back