Back sweeten or?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKelly

Reaction score
Question about sweetness.

I have multiple batches of cider going now and one is almost complete.
One i quite dry but (been going since last October).

I also just started a batch of maple wine. The maple wine was sap boiled down to sg of 1.09, 1.5 cups wildflower honey, yeast nutrient, and Lavin 1118 yeast(5 gal batch).

A post i saw about maple wine said the following:

For a sweet wine, rack at three weeks. Add 1/2 cup sugar or maple syrup dissolved in 1 cup wine. Stir gently, and place back into secondary fermentor. Repeat process every six weeks until fermentation does not restart with the addition of sugar. Rack every three months until one year old. Bottle.

Can this be done or has anyone tried this with cider?

I was wondering? If using a specific yeast that will only stand a specific abv level and following the above guidelines. Would the yeast die off when the abv level maxed out leaving you with a sweeter more flavorful cider?

Of course this would require patience.... The hardest part.

MK

It looks simple enough.

The instructions are telling you to continually feed the yeast until they stop converting sugar to alcohol. Any sugar not converted will produce the sweetness.

Go for it.

There was an extensive experiment done by one of the forum members with different yeasts. I have to agree that a Hefe Weizen yeast with a general attenuation of 75% produces a nice sweet cider where no potassium sorbate is necessary. :mug:

Yeah those directions are just based on one of the options for backsweetening. However, you used ec-1118. That yeast is good for 18-20% abv. If you intend to sweeten it using that method you will have every bit of 18%+ before the yeast die off and you are actually sweetening it. If you let it get that strong, you will most definitely need to age this for at LEAST one or even two years before the hotness of that much alcohol starts to die off.

Latest posts

Back