Medieval Burnt Mead!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa! This sounds like a nightmare! Anyone with some true stories?

Carmelized 3lbs of honey last weekend over a campstove....first there was one bee...then he brought a friend....and then they brought friends....and sure enough after awhile I had like 20 bees in a bit of a hover around my boil pot...

Carmelized 3lbs of honey last weekend over a campstove....first there was one bee...then he brought a friend....and then they brought friends....and sure enough after awhile I had like 20 bees in a bit of a hover around my boil pot...

Did you share any with them? I think I would have let them lick the spoon at least.

Just started a batch this morning, 22 pounds of honey in a 8 gallon pot, and we still almost had a boil over. Had to remove it from the heat a few times, and if we ever do it again we'll put newspaper down on the floor to catch all the little honey bombs that fly out of the bubbling pot. Didn't burn it black but it was damn dark, and started smelling a little burnt. Diluted it to 6 gallons and had a SG of 1.120, added yeast energizer, and nutrient, then pitched EC-1118. hope this works out because we're going to have a bunch to drink in 18 months or so.

Back