German Kolsch extract recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoke

Reaction score
Hello all.
I've fairly new to brewing still, this will be my 3rd extract batch and I am looking to create a nice lighter beer for the upper coming spring/summer months.
So I have decided on a Kolsch and I am looking for some pointers regarding a recipe.
The most important thing to realize for me is that I have a limited selection of supplies at my local brew shop, getting supplies shipped is costly because of the shipping costs themselfs and duties I have to pay to bring supplies over the boarder.

So the recipe I am thinking of would be something like...

5 gallon batch

6.6 lbs light ( or extra light ) LME
.5 lbs Munich malt ( steeped )
.5 lbs wheat malt ( steeped )

1.5 oz Hallertau ( pellets ) for 60 mins.
pinch Irish moss near end of boil.

Is that too much Munich or Wheat? Should I consider adding some carpils for more of a mouthy feel? I know Kolsch beers usually have a mouthy feel.

I know a different German noble hop would be preferred but I am having trouble getting different kinds.

I understand that Kolsch beers should only use hops for bittering and not for aroma or flavor. Do most people agree on this or should I add some hops later in the boil?

Any advice that can be provided would be great!

The Munich and Wheat malt should be mashed, not steeped. Hallertauer is perfectly fine for a Koelsch.

Your starting gravity looks to be a bit on the low side for a Koelsch.

I would eliminate the Munich malt. Kolsch is made with pilsner malt and sometimes a small amount of wheat malt. You can steep the wheat malt but as has already been mentioned mashing it would be preferred. Hallertau is perfectly fine for a Kolsch. A small quantity of late hops is OK if you want a little flavor and aroma but Kolsch doesn't have the hop nose of a pilsner. Yeast is very imortant in Kolsch. If you use a generic ale yeast you a just making a blonde ale. That isn't a bad thing but it's not a Kolsch. Both Wyeast and White Labs have good strains to use. :mug:

Thanks for the advice.
The local brew shop does carry yeast Kolsch yeast, so I think it'll be ok.
:mug:

Back