Pear Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ber

Reaction score
I just bottled my Pear wine. My first efforts, but everyone has raved about it. So seems a great success. As for me, I made it just as I like it, a nice dry beautiful to drink and excellently colored wine.

I had bosc pears off my tree I raise organically, picked and set at room temperature to complete ripening to a nice soft, but firm texture. Then used my masticating juicer and used the pressed pear juice. I used the Lavlin K1 yeast and it cleared beautifully to a beige/pink tinted wine at 14% it is a nice sipping wine. I dislike sweet wines all together and this is just perfect for me.

Yeah!!

Ber

Made wine from bosc pear last year. Turned out great at 14%. Using the same pear again this year when they get a bit cheaper! I purchased my pears almost over ripe froze em first and just put em in a straining bag and squeezed the juce and let the rest seep for a few days. Almost a year later mine turned out on the sweet side without back sweeting.

So I just bought a cider mill to grind and press my pears. I have made pear wine in the past that many liked.

I am thinking of a pear brandy using the pomace left over. Anyone done this and got any recipes or direction on how to proceed. I am looking at Switzerland and Swedish sites for leads as my grandmother used to speak of a schnapps they left outside after making cider.

Thanks from the piney woods of North Florida longing for big timber of North Idaho!!

I haven't tried much else with mine, I am a newbie. I was told that my wine wouldn't clear if I used the juicer, but since mine is a masticating - it preses and grinds - not a blender type it made the difference. It cleared beautifully.

I would LOVE to hear what comes of your brandy or other efforts! :ban:

Made wine from bosc pear last year. Turned out great at 14%. Using the same pear again this year when they get a bit cheaper! .

If you are near an Azure Drop, D'Anjou pears are 27.50 for organics and transitional pears are 18.00 for 20# They should make a great wine! I have juicing apples on the way and can't wait until they arrive!!

Back