What to do to spice this beer up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickBoz

Reaction score
Ok this is what i have:
3.3 lb Muntons Hopped Amber LME
2 lb Muntons Light DME
1 Ounce U.K. First Gold Hop Pellets
6 grams Muntons Active yeast

Now i can straight brew and get an Amber ale or i can spice it up and thats what i want to do. The problem is i am strapped for cash this month and i have no close brew supply store around me and i hate ordering stuff from the internet.

My idea to add a bit more flavor and ABV is
Half cup brown sugar
3 table spoons Molasses
1 cup powered sugar

Now i need some ideas for flavor and spices that i can get at my local food store.?

I'd stay away from the powdered sugar. There is more than just sugar in there. (cornstarch maybe?) They use an additive to prevent caking at any rate. I usually throw 2# of honey into the mix just to bump the ABV,

Some consensus seems to be 1/2 tsp of spices for a 5 gallon batch, any or all of the following; ginger, juniper berries, cloves, allspice. I would probably go get some hella dark chocolate ideally with some cinnamon and chili spice in it (Mexican Chocolate) and throw in a pound or so chopped into secondary and see what happens.

And then report back because I have been thinking about it but haven't tried it yet.

Another option would be to ferment it on the warm side and see what flavors the yeast adds.

I'd stay away from powdered sugar too. and I'm not sure how the molasses will work, but some brown sugar or honey will probably go nicely. I think I would definitely keep the additions (fermentables) at no more than 2 lbs.

Ok, so i will cut the powered sugar out. I'll probably get maybe 2 pounds of honey , i was also thinking of turning it into a pumpkin ale with the following :

3.3 lb Muntons Hopped Amber LME
2 lb Muntons Light DME
1 pound brown sugar
2 pounds Honey
3 table spoons Molasses
2 16oz cans pumpkin puree
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp ginger?
1 Ounce U.K. First Gold Hop Pellets
6 grams Muntons Active yeast

Any other ideas would be great. ?
:mug:thanks:mug:

I'd stay away from powdered sugar too. and I'm not sure how the molasses will work, but some brown sugar or honey will probably go nicely. I think I would definitely keep the additions (fermentables) at no more than 2 lbs.
I've done the Molasses before with a barely wine i say made by these 2 guys on youtube and mine came out great. I just use the molasses for flavoring it adds a almost rum flavor to the beer, it is quite nice i think anyway.

Rule # 1: it’s your beer, do what you want and don’t let others talk you out of something you think will be good.

That being said I think you have a lot going on with the brown sugar, honey, molasses, pumpkin and spices. I’d save the molasses, pumpkin and spices for your next batch. After this one, when you get a few bucks saved up get some LME, hops, and Yeast and use the rest then. Just what I would do though.

Rule # 1: it’s your beer, do what you want and don’t let others talk you out of something you think will be good.

That being said I think you have a lot going on with the brown sugar, honey, molasses, pumpkin and spices. I’d save the molasses, pumpkin and spices for your next batch. After this one, when you get a few bucks saved up get some LME, hops, and Yeast and use the rest then. Just what I would do though.
Yes i hear what you are saying and i might drop stop out ,but really i am just idea hunting to make this amber ale a bit more "WOW" ya know. So i will see how it goes and let all know what i did. Right now i have a true brew IPA in primary right now and my yeasties are hard at work. I heard that the True Brew IPA isn't a true IPA but what ever.

If you are aiming at more of a pumpkin pie, most (pie) recipies also call for cloves nutmeg and allspice in varying degrees. I would put them in at the same concentration as the cinnamon, with ginger being a half dose. But thats just how I like my pie. A potentially interesting combination for pumpkin also would be cinnamon sticks not ground I just can't think of when to add them. Vanilla beans as well, cut but not scraped. The vanilla in secondary probably and the cinnamon sticks in primary ferment maybe even 10 minutes in the boil. just use the vanilla beans gently, maybe one bean for the whole batch or it could get cloyingly sweet.

If you are aiming at more of a pumpkin pie, most (pie) recipies also call for cloves nutmeg and allspice in varying degrees. I would put them in at the same concentration as the cinnamon, with ginger being a half dose. But thats just how I like my pie. A potentially interesting combination for pumpkin also would be cinnamon sticks not ground I just can't think of when to add them. Vanilla beans as well, cut but not scraped. The vanilla in secondary probably and the cinnamon sticks in primary ferment maybe even 10 minutes in the boil. just use the vanilla beans gently, maybe one bean for the whole batch or it could get cloyingly sweet.

Cost being an issue though, a vanilla extract would be a better way to go and give you more mileage in the kitchen or for the next batch.

You could also forgo all the spices separately and get "pumpkin pie spice", which is a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice, all in one handy package. Cheaper than buying all the spices and I've seen them in really small plastic jars, like 1 oz or so. I've never done a pumpkin ale, but I'd think an ounce would be more than plenty for a 5 gallon batch.

YYMV of course. Cheers! :mug:

Thanks i think im gonna go with the straight pumpkin ale deal. I just put my IPA in the secondary and i sampled it and it was real nice and hoppy the way i like it. So i will probably get to work on that pumpkin ale soon. But i was told there is a pumpkin shortage, so as a result i can not find pumpkin puree in any store around me, But i am gonna keep my eye open and head down to the organic food store and the small mom and pop grocery down the road and see if they have any.

Cost being an issue though, a vanilla extract would be a better way to go and give you more mileage in the kitchen or for the next batch.

You could also forgo all the spices separately and get "pumpkin pie spice", which is a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice, all in one handy package. Cheaper than buying all the spices and I've seen them in really small plastic jars, like 1 oz or so. I've never done a pumpkin ale, but I'd think an ounce would be more than plenty for a 5 gallon batch.

YYMV of course. Cheers! :mug:

Thanks im gonna look into that 1 oz spice pack.:tank:

Pumpkin shortage :confused:

Pagans must be multiplying much faster than the cotton tops down there in St. Augustine

hahaha I don't know how true it is but no stores have pumpkin puree or even pumpkin pie filling (don't worry i wouldn't use the filling) but i bet the organic store will have it.

Back