Oven Sterilization....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limited Visibility

Reaction score
For my next pale ale I am planning on bottling them in all 22oz bottles from stone, like the ruination and arrogant bastard bottles.

Does anyone know if I can over sterilize these with the type of label that these bottles have?

I don't sterilize bottles in the oven, but my gut says to not bake any kind of painted/etched/whatever label like Stone bottles. But then again, I've been wrong too many times to count. :)

Not to critique your method since it's working for you, but have you thought about switching to a no-rinse sanitizer like Starsan? I can sanitize an entire batch of bottles in 10-15 minutes. It just seems easier than loading up the oven, baking the bottles for an hour (or however long it takes), waiting for them to cool down, etc.

And an added bonus is that Starsan removes paint from Stone bottles. I've tried it and it works. :rockin: Scroll down in that thread to see the pics.

I have actually never tried the oven method before but I did read on it a little on this website. I just bought some oxy clean though.

Its going to be a chill Friday night with me cleaning all the labels off my bottles

:mug:

Its going to be a chill Friday night with me cleaning all the labels off my bottles

Not with oxyclean you wont- I tried everything on those. StarSan is the only thing that took the lables off after a few hr soak.

I prefer the oven sterilize technique, but am not sure about the paint on the bottles.

When I sterilize my bottles, I bake at 350 for an hour. I have also just done a dry SANITIZING bake at 170 for an hour. This heat will not sterilize the bottles, but it will sanitize them. If you use this technique just be sure to fill and cap the bottles shortly after baking. This amount of heat would not likely damage the paint on your bottles.

Good luck, whatever route you take! :mug:

Back