Kegging Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Influence

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm starting to hit the frustration point bottling and would like the convenience of kegging.

2 main questions I have are.... what effect does this have on freshness? It would take me a couple weeks to down a full keg (I do like my variety now!).

I've bought commercial beer in kegs that just didn't keep very well.

The next question is more of a "which type of keg". I've seen so many available and recycled. Very common "Cornelius - Pepsi" style fountain kegs and such.

If I should stick to bottles...... make me at least think that kegging is such a pain in the butt :eek:

Thanx,

Jonathan

Kegging is easier and gives you more draft style beer.

One thing to clean- vs cases.

Corny kegs are the keg of choice due to ease and cheapness. Also I thought 5 gal would be a lot too. Its not, and it will stay fresh plenty long

Make no mistake, Kegging brings with it a whole learning curve and new expenses, but it does get better than bottling pretty quickly.
I'm guessing that your commercial kegs went bad because you rented a party tap, and did not use a CO2 system. This introduces air, which stales the beer quickly. A corny keg under CO2 will last as long as a bottle.
Go for it, and move quickly. Cornys are getting harder and harder to get and more expensive every day.

Thanx... all.

My only concern is the ball valve style. I see a lot of soda styles mentioned in ads and swaps.

Is there a difference I need to look for?

Cleaning and sterilizing a couple of kegs is a lot easier for me then 4 cases of bottles!

Jonathan

There are 2 types of kegs, ball lock and pin lock. Ball lock kegs are more common. Check out morebeer or northern brewer online for some ideas. Ebay is a good source for used ones. You will need to replace the o-rings also, any homebrew shop carries them. You will also need to buy a CO2 tank and regulator. Shop around, there are several sources online for all your needs. I can't stress how much you will love kegging, I brew 25 gallon batches and have kegs full and waiting in my chest cooler for almost a year. I hope this helps...cheers.

Yep - thanx!

I've used them like 20 years ago when I worked in a restaurant - same ones too!

Never took them apart and all.

Did question the quality of stored brew and all - but that was with bad "party keg" style beers (which I never really liked most of 'em anyway).

Funny, I thought I hated beer until I had good stuff and it's all been a fun ride since (sometimes more fun than others!).

Jonathan

Bad Influence said:
Thanx... all.

My only concern is the ball valve style. I see a lot of soda styles mentioned in ads and swaps.

Is there a difference I need to look for?

Cleaning and sterilizing a couple of kegs is a lot easier for me then 4 cases of bottles!

Jonathan
The ball locks are a little taller and narrower and the pins are a little shorter and wider.
Ball Lock Kegs:
25" High x 8 1/2" Diameter

Pin Lock Kegs:
two different size kegs.
22-23" High x 9" Diameter

I need to use pins with the Kegerator I got. In use or expense there is no real difference. Even if you get mixed, it is only a little more expense and hassle to have both disconnects available.

Thanx,

I did forget one thing - what's a fair price for a Corny keg?

I've seen the prices VARY bigtime.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Let me start by saying that IMO kegging brew is the best way to improve your beer and cut work thereby making the hobby more enjoyable.

Keeping your beer cold and under CO2 does wonders for the flavor and clarity of beer. Perfect carbination every pint just never really happened for me priming bottles.

Don't be intimidated by the equipment requirements...there is a kegerator for every budget. Free fridges and cheap chest freezers are avail. thru craigslist or other classified. Corny kegs are avail and run 20-30 bucks. 1/6 and 1/4 sankeys are probably avail. where you are as well. Basicly, a co2 tank, regulator, fridge or freezer(w/ temp control) and a picnic tap and hoses are all you need to do the most basic basic setup. If you are in an area that has reasonable winter temps. you could do a garage kegerator w/out refrigeration at all.

Don't sweat the investment...everything you buy is very saleable if you decide to move on.

Mike

Back