Thin beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe028

Reaction score
What causes a thin tasting beer? Is it the original gravity? Complexity of the grain bill? Temp of mash? out of balance recipe? source water profile? mash ph? all of these? none of these?

Joe

I'd say it could possibly be from: low OG, bland grain bill, low mash temps, low IBU balance, or even possibly yeast strain.

I'm not sure how water and pH would effect it, but it could be a factor, too.

The biggest factor in thickness is the type and amount/gal of grain you use, and the attenuation of the yeast you use. Grains that have more unfermentable sugars will leave more body behind after fermentation. Adding more grains or malt extract to a recipe will also increase the body, but also the ABV. Also, some varities of yeast will eat more of the fermentable sugars than others, resulting in a dryer, thinner beer.

Don't know where you are in the process but uncarbonated or undercarbonated beer always tastes thin to me.

100% extract beers (beers with no steeping grains) taste thin to me. I presume its because they have fewer unfermentables. Adding steeping grains helps. Adding 4 to 8 oz. of CaraPils helps. Adding lactose helps.

Mainly the amount of unfermented malt sugars. If you are doing extract, maltodextrine will help. AG, higher mash temperatures or Carapils. Less complex ales will taste thinner. You'd be surprised what the average IPA tastes like without the blast of hops.

Joe028 said:
What causes a thin tasting beer? Is it the original gravity? Complexity of the grain bill? Temp of mash? out of balance recipe? source water profile? mash ph? all of these? none of these?

Joe

All of the above + yeast strain. Let us know what you are brewing and we can give you more specific advice.

Back