Is it necessary to boil the water not in the strike/sparge volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure I understand the question. If the water isn't strike water or sparge water...what is it? I know all the water that ends up in my boil kettle is either strike water or sparge water.

If you are talking about top-off water added after the boil, then I never used to boil it and never had any problems; but it has been a long time since I used any top-off water.

-a.

In a partial mash/partial boil, it is not necessary to boil the 'top-off' water you add to the fermenter, providing you trust the source of the water.

If you buy water, you are probably OK. If you have safe drinking water and have a charcoal filter in the line, you are probably OK. If you don't have a filter, boiling will drive off any chlorine in the water.

I have always boiled top of water. Just a bit of a sanitation nut. I typically boil a few gallons before I start my wort boil. That way it has plenty of time to cool to pitching temps. I also typically use some of this to hydrate the yeast in, if not making a starter.

I never boil my top off water but I do treat it with campden with the rest of my brew water.

Back