Hodgepodge of ingredients need help with recipe!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so I'm sorta new to brewing and have come into a pile of odds and ends due to lack of stock ect. so now i need help making a decent brew outta what i got.
I will need to buy more dme but i'd like to clean house a tad.

What I have: 1 Kg pale dme, just under 1 kg dark dme, 3 oz. E.K. Goldings, 2 oz. Northern brewer, and about .5 lb of crystal 70, Wyeast british ale yeast.

Kinda a weird blend but it has to be able to turn into something. Just to make it harder I wouldn't like to have a super hoppy bitter beer I've been making a lot of IPA lately.

Well I suppose that's the challenge if anyone has suggestions on a decent track to go on that would be awesome.
Thanks everyone
Budworth

How about an English pale ale? Or an English ESB? I like the idea of a low OG Scottish beer- a 60+/- beer since you don't have much extract. I'm not a fan of dark extract, but if you have it you could use it. I'd rather use everything else, and get more light DME.

If you want to use only what you have, I'd do this (Scottish 60 schilling): This is a US 5 gallon batch (19L):

1.00 kg Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract 44.84 %
1.00 kg Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 44.84 %
0.23 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 10.31 %
35.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (60 min) Hops 19.1 IBU

I was thinking along the same lines. A dark amber to light brown ale. Use an ounce each of Kent golding & Northern Brewer. It'd be a bit malt forward,as English ales tend to be.

Thanks for the ideas guys! I think i'm gonna make an all extract porter to burn up the dark malt just need a little amber and found a recipe that will accommodate the AAU's I need. Here we go!

Latest posts

Back