Which Temp Controller (Johnson Digital or Brewer's Edge Digital)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBChallenger

Reaction score
Any experience with either? Do they both allow for direct plugin (ie. no wiring)? I know taht that the Brewer's Edge does, but i am leaning towards the Johnson.. assuming it does as well. Anyone that has tried either let me know your experience if you would... this and the drip tray will round out my keezer parts. Thanks!!!

Brewers Edge is a 10A max load, the A419 is 16A... Id get the A419.

Been running the JC A419 for over a year now. Flawless operation and yes, it comes ready to "plug and play" with the plug for the wall and the female plug for the appliance.

I have the A419 Johnson and it has performed flawlessly. Both are plug and play and require no additional wiring.

FWIW, 10A is a lot. I can't imagine approaching, much less exceeding that kind of a current draw for any refrigeration unit I might be using. That would be something on the order of 1000 watts or so! I think my chest freezer is only burning about 160 watts which equates to something like less than two amps when cruising. Start up draw might be double that momentarily.

Bottom line is that either would work just fine.

Thanks for the info everyone, Johnson it is! Now to get this sucker built and dispensing beer (regulators are on their way as is CO2 bottle, everything else is in place).

I have the A419 Johnson and it has performed flawlessly. Both are plug and play and require no additional wiring.

FWIW, 10A is a lot. I can't imagine approaching, much less exceeding that kind of a current draw for any refrigeration unit I might be using. That would be something on the order of 1000 watts or so! I think my chest freezer is only burning about 160 watts which equates to something like less than two amps when cruising. Start up draw might be double that momentarily.

Bottom line is that either would work just fine.

But if you want to use it to control your E HLT later, you will want the A419. JC makes the Brewers Edge, it just less beefy.

Yeah, you have a point there. I was commenting in the context of using these for refer control. OTOH, a Love controller or something similar with a relay might be a better choice for any high power demands such as electric heating elements. These are not plug and play, so some electrical/electronic skill will be required. The OP was asking about a control for his keezer project. The what if's could be endless I suppose.

Yeah, you have a point there. I was commenting in the context of using these for refer control. OTOH, a Love controller or something similar with a relay might be a better choice for any high power demands such as electric heating elements. These are not plug and play, so some electrical/electronic skill will be required. The OP was asking about a control for his keezer project. The what if's could be endless I suppose.

I ended up going with the Johnson, ordered it from Northern Brewer. Should be here Wed or so. Got a dunkelweizen and a hefewiezen that will be at the bottling point just in time to keg it is looking like. Though at this point we will be using the pull the freezer lid open and reach down and grab the faucet method if we go that route. I will have all of the required beer parts but I am just getting into building the wood surround and "bar top"

That's the one I bought also and from the same source. You won't be disappointed. Totally trouble free for more than a year now and user friendly. I think all of us have done the open the lid and picnic tap routine before using real taps. The real faucets do make a world of difference. The downside is that it becomes much too easy to draw yourself a beer! I lived in Tucson years ago. Great town! I was near the Raquet Club at the north end of Country Club.

That's the one I bought also and from the same source. You won't be disappointed. Totally trouble free for more than a year now and user friendly. I think all of us have done the open the lid and picnic tap routine before using real taps. The real faucets do make a world of difference. The downside is that it becomes much too easy to draw yourself a beer! I lived in Tucson years ago. Great town! I was near the Raquet Club at the north end of Country Club.

Nice, I live on the southeast side on the north side of Rita Ranch. Nice and quiet but a bit far away from everything. On the picnic tap note... I will actually be drawing from Perlick's with 4" SS shafts and SS barbed tailpieces... hehe. I have all of the equipment ready to build by "bar", a keezer with wood surround etc. I just haven't gotten all the details roned out on the design and the like. Since I am anxiouis to try out this system I plan to hook one of the 5 faucets, regulators, hoses etc up and give it a shot without having everything in place. I figure I am getting a beer gun anyway, so if need to empty the keg I can use the fill a bottle.. drink a bottle method :p.

I have three of the A419s hooked up to chest freezers (keezer, lagering freezer, and fermentation chamber) and they are great. My only niggle with the A419 is that to switch from hot to cold mode you have to open it up with a screwdriver and flip a couple of jumpers. For the one on my fermentation chamber where I have a lizard lamp when I need heat, I did this so I can just flip a DIP switch. Only 3 switches are in use, but the smallest block I had was an 8 x SPST.

a419.jpg

Back