Transplanting old vines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLObrewer

Reaction score
So, a distant neighbor is demolishing their vineyard, 5 acres of chardonnay, and I was wondering if I can transplant some of the old vines. They haven't been watered yet but some are growing new vines, looks like they were cut off at ground level last year. Is it going to be a job for the tractor to dig these up? Do I split them somehow? Will they survive since they aren't dormant anymore? Is this even possible?:confused:

They grow like weeds. I bet any root or part thereof will take if planted soon enough.

This spring I took a chunk out of a couple of roots to transplant in a new position. Both parent and offspring are doing fine.

I don't know where you live but in most parts of the world vines are grafted due to phylloxera. The rootstock may well be a different, non fruiting variety so transplanting them would be pointless. All vineyards in the USA and Europe are grafted.

Oh crap!! I found this thread using the "new posts" button. I was thinking we were talking about hops!!! I hadn't had my coffee at that time in the morning!!

Sorry, COLObrewer, all bets are off. I feel such a fool!! :(

I don't know where you live but in most parts of the world vines are grafted due to phylloxera. The rootstock may well be a different, non fruiting variety so transplanting them would be pointless. All vineyards in the USA and Europe are grafted.

Most vineyards I've been to here in Colorado are not grafted, they are from varietal rootsock, no phylloxera here, ...yet.

That's very surprising, I didn't know there were ungrafted vines in the US, where phylloxera is native. I would still ask the grower, many people in non-phylloxera areas use rootstocks just to be on the safe side. You would probably find tyaking cuttings an easier proposition if you want a vineyard and you dont have to graft. The roots are the most important part of a vine and you will get a better root system if you start from scratch. They take really easily from cuttings, dormant or green. Chardonnay is very frost susceptible so another variety would be better if you get spring frosts.

. . . .They take really easily from cuttings, dormant or green. Chardonnay is very frost susceptible so another variety would be better if you get spring frosts.

So do I just cut off the few new shoots that are growing and set them in some root hormone water? Or just in a bucket of moist soil? or? I don't know when they are going to plow this up so I may have to "store" them for a bit before my vineyard is ready.:confused:

You can use potting mix or damp sharp sand. Hormone powder (or gel) helps speed up the process but is not necessary. Green cuttings need to be left in a shady, sheltered place and kept well watered until they strike. Each cutting should be around 3-4 inches long with just a couple of leaves at the top. You can put about 10 per 6 inch pot and pot them up separately when they start to grow, if you use a bucket make sure it has drain holes.

OK, I have appx. 30cuttings in pots of damp sand, so how long do I wait for them to strike? To what degree do I let them strike? then can I just plant them in the vineyard or do I pot them until next year? Thanx, Vern.

You don't say if you used hormone, if you didn't roots should form in 3 weeks. The roots grow pretty strongly and when you see them emerging from the bottom of the pot you can pot them in individual pots or tubes, and autumn planting should be fine with a plastic tree or vine guard.
Good luck.

Back