Airlock refills?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Token

Reaction score
Do you ever have to refill your airlock? I don't remember having to do that in previous batches. But this one just keeps going (it's down to mabye one "burp" every 10 minutes). I've had to add water to my airlock a few times now. And I plan to keep it in this carboy for another 2 weeks. I'm using the S type air lock. Should I just stick to the 3-piece for future batches? Would I have to keep adding water to that one too?

I put vodka in my airlocks (3pc btw) and I refill them regularly. During primary fermentation I might have to top it off 2-3 times in the span of a week. Vodka evaporates faster, but even with water, and especially in the primary I wouldn't be surprised at it.

The vodka won't harbor any nasties, and if any gets sucked into the fermentor, it will just boost the ABV of the beer without contributing any off-flavors or increasing the chance of infection.

Latest posts

Back