Prickly Pear Cactus fruit (las tunas)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runhard

Reaction score
Out running one morning with the Vizsla and Wiem I saw a huge prickly pear cactus. I went back after work with tongs and a bag. I collected a lot of very ripe prickly pear fruit. Carefully, I removed the skin and juiced the remaining fruit. I've got about 5 cups of fruit. A friend told me that pectin is very low as she did a pectin test previously. My question is should I cook the juice first to sanitize it or just dump it into the secondary fermentation? If pectin is low will it hurt to cook it? I don't care if the beer is a little hazy but I'd like for a slight bit of the flavour to come through along with that brilliant colour. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Oh, the beer is a Pilsner with mild hopping but should end up around 6% ABV.

Runhard how did your catus beer turn out ? I would be interested in making a cactus brew if any one has a recipe :)

Latest posts

Back