how to auto-siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=3

See the photo on the right? You take the "inner" part of the autosiphon, and pull it up, then push it down. It "pumps" on the first stroke, and then siphons out. Just remember to always have the receiving container lower than the bottom of the autosiphon, like the carboy on the counter, and the receiving carboy on the floor.

I pump mine once. You may have to pinch the tubing to burp an airpocket, but that's about as complicated as it gets.

One thing to watch out for is loose fitting tubing. If this happens you'll get air seepage into the beer when you siphon which could be bad - you can tell if this is happening if you see a lot of bubbles flowing with the beer in the tubing. When the auto-siphon is working it should be a flow of almost entirely liquid (it may not even be evident that beer is flowing other than seeing it come out of the end of the tube).

If this happens, you can try smaller diameter tubing. I find this to be a pain, especially getting it off, so I use twist ties (I've also heard of people using small hose clamps, too) to tighten the tubing over the end of the auto-siphon cane.

sorry for the hijack.. is there a way to disassemble these to clean them? I got tons of junk in mine..

One thing to watch out for is loose fitting tubing. If this happens you'll get air seepage into the beer when you siphon which could be bad - you can tell if this is happening if you see a lot of bubbles flowing with the beer in the tubing. When the auto-siphon is working it should be a flow of almost entirely liquid (it may not even be evident that beer is flowing other than seeing it come out of the end of the tube).

If this happens, you can try smaller diameter tubing. I find this to be a pain, especially getting it off, so I use twist ties (I've also heard of people using small hose clamps, too) to tighten the tubing over the end of the auto-siphon cane.

I have some new tubing that is supposed to be exactly the same as the older stuff I had been using with my autosiphon, but I can't get it to seal right. I even used screw on hose clamps and it still has enough air leak in to kill the siphon.

I have had trouble with my auto siphon stopping either due to clogs or air bubbles.

If I have to pull it out to restart it do i need to resanitize?

Back