Not sure whats happening. Transferred to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibrewzza

Reaction score
HEy guys

I have a Porter I made the other week and it's been fermenting for 10 days. I racked it to a glass carboy yesterday after fermentation apparently stopped for 2 days. Well it's been bubbling pretty good since then at about 1 bubble every 5 seconds or so.

Someone I trust suggested refrigerating to stop the yeast, is this smart?

I'd love some opinions thanks!

Oh and when I checked the gravity I was 1.014 and my FG is supposed to be 1.012. My OG was 1.056 which according to brewtoad is what I wanted

Was it @ 1.014 for those 2 days it "apparently" stopped or are you just talking about bubbles in the airlock? Although, after 10 days it's likely done fermenting if it's gotten down to 1.014. Just a note, the 1.012 suggest by Brew Toad is an estimate based on your ingredients and stuff you've entered. There's a number of things that could change (I won't list for now), but to be within .002 of that number is pretty good and your likely ok. Putting it in the fridge will slow the yeast and they'll begin to drop out and it shouldn't cause any unwanted issues. I do this all the time around the 14th day to cold crash and clear up my beers before kegging. I've never done this if your bottling, so be mindful you might drop out too much yeast and have issues or longer carbing times with whatever yeast doesn't drop out. Either way, I think your good to go with the advice you've already been given. Cheers!

Someone I trust suggested refrigerating to stop the yeast, is this smart?
No! If the yeast is still fermenting, let it finish. But the only way to know is with a second gravity reading a few days past the first. If it's stopped dropping, package it.

If the CO2 release is being produced by fermentation, and you bottle, the yeast will continue the fermentation in the bottle. This fermentation and the addition of priming sugar will cause high CO2 pressures. Let it go a week then start taking hydrometer readings. When two to three readings are the same, several days apart, fermentation is complete.

If you just stop the yeast by cold crashing, they will start working again during bottle conditioning.

Back