Cider looks like tea (slightly lighter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UlyssesGrant

Reaction score
I've racked to my secondary about a week ago. No activity in the airlock. Cider tastes like a dry, white wine. I plan to backsweeten before bottling so it carbs in the champagne bottles I have. It has come a long way in terms of clarity. It is by no means transparent, but now has an opacity similar to an orange tea. How clear is clear enough to bottle?

Mine is crystal clear after 4 weeks in the secondary. You should be fine to bottle now so long as the FG is stable. Carbing in the bottle will create some additional yeast haze, but you could always try to eliminate this via the champagne process of disgorging.

Bottled last Saturday. Took all fargin day too. I got up at eight, and we hammered down the last cork at 6pm. Got 47 bottles. 25 of them are apple, rosewater champagne, the rest are my standard fare with brown sugar. Most of the latter were done up in 1litre, brown, flip top bottles.

fyVMtP8A

Put them all into cases, and stacked them up in the cool, darkness of my storage unit. I'm hoping to forget about them for as long as possible. The stuff with the brown sugar should be ready in about 4 months. The stuff sweetened with rosewater/honey should be ready in about 2. Ideally, I would like to completely forget about it, and not even open a bottle until next October when I make my next batch.

Pics to come

100_6818-57216.jpg

apple rosewater sparkling dry cider in the clear bottles. regular, brown sugar apple cider in the brown bottles. this was soon after starting. got alot more bottles out of the 2 carboys

Back