kettle for an mlt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

payton34

Reaction score
ineed some advice.i was thinking about making a kettle mash tun with a manifold and pumping the wort into my brewkettle. then use the burner under my bk and pump back into mlt so i dont have to have a burner under the mlt. i am worried about scorching the grain if the fire got too high. i was wondering if anyone has had any problems with this kind of setup

A certain volume of liquid is required to prevent scorching. Dumping wort directly into a kettle would be a high risk operation. Brewers use either a RIMS or HERMS setup for this reason.

If you chose to place a burner under the MT, you will want to use a false bottom to provide the volume needed.

I've been using direct heat for awhile now and haven't gotten any scorching. Just stir a lot. I use a large metal spoon to pick up the grain from the bottom. Also don't put the flame on full blast. Just a nice small flame does the job. I'd be worried with what you want to do would denature to many enzymes.

Back