Mr. Beer Goes Horribly Wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibanous

Reaction score
Randomly found this on Youtube, didn't see it previously posted.

Cracked me up. What a trooper. He uses some very old Mr Beer ingredients subs in some bakers yeast, "dry hops" with some shredded coconut and it "Tastes kind of awful...wow it's gross" but then "...that said though, you know I could kind of get use to this..."

From his later comments it looks like he has brewed some more successful batches with new/proper ingredients. So in the doesn't matter brewed beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know though, he sounds well versed in homebrewing for a new guy. It sounds like he's done a lot of research prior to brewing, and he'd probably be hooked as a homebrewer if he had a newer kit with decent yeast.

heres another interesting beer of his. chile pepper beer.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1a7N17R7nM&feature=channel_video_title]Chile Pepper Beer ( Home Brew ) - YouTube[/ame]

"Of course I put two cups of sugar in because I like alcohol." Priceless! He is definitely a home brewer now!

i have a feeling this is gonna be me.. I haven't brewed anything yet, just doing research but i think i'm gonna start my first brew with a mr. beer kit just cause i can get one pretty cheap and still get the feel of home brewing before i go all out on buying anything.

i have a feeling this is gonna be me.. I haven't brewed anything yet, just doing research but i think i'm gonna start my first brew with a mr. beer kit just cause i can get one pretty cheap and still get the feel of home brewing before i go all out on buying anything.

Bro, just buy a 1 gallon carboy at your local homebrew store and start with one gallon brews. Just take a 5 gallon recipe, divide it by 5 and you can do them on your stovetop super easy. That's how I started, and believe me you will want to invest in some basic equipment to start making 5 gallon batches. I wouldn't bother with Mr. Beer to be honest.

Bro, just buy a 1 gallon carboy at your local homebrew store and start with one gallon brews. Just take a 5 gallon recipe, divide it by 5 and you can do them on your stovetop super easy. That's how I started, and believe me you will want to invest in some basic equipment to start making 5 gallon batches. I wouldn't bother with Mr. Beer to be honest.

Could I just use like a 1 gallon jug?

For sure. They make 1 gallon carboys, and you can buy little lids that you can put an airlock into.

If you're wanting to get into home brewing, skip the Mr. Beer and jump right in to all grain batches. There isn't really much you can screw up as long as you sanitize everything. Your local home brew store (LHBS) will have some Star San sanitizing solution that you can buy.

I would suggest finding your LHBS on google, and head in and talk with them about it.

For sure. They make 1 gallon carboys, and you can buy little lids that you can put an airlock into.

If you're wanting to get into home brewing, skip the Mr. Beer and jump right in to all grain batches. There isn't really much you can screw up as long as you sanitize everything. Your local home brew store (LHBS) will have some Star San sanitizing solution that you can buy.

I would suggest finding your LHBS on google, and head in and talk with them about it.

well i just met a guy on here earlier today who has a home brew store 10 minutes (if that ) from me so im gonna head up there tomorrow!

Oh wow I didn't check out his other videos...yeah if he has a fridge conversion he's a goner. Frunkasduck :)drunk:) I don't know exactly what's included in the Mr. Beer kits, but you can make a vast improvement on flavor by doing a few small things. Newer extract brewers usually start with kits similar to this, Coopers, etc. By adding some hops, steeping grains, and quality yeast, it can taste really fantastic. If you have a local homebrew store, you should be able to pick up a small quantity of these items and they can direct you in what hops/grains/yeast to get for the recipe. It's something to think about, and if you're investing the time waiting for the beer, it's better to wait for something good!

I guess I subscribe to the "whatever gets you into the pastime" theory, but 15 years old? Dayum!

Is this TSA a couple years ago? Did the beer have nice lacing?

Greetings and Salutations, My name is Mike Jewel, and I'm the creator of this video. Wow thanks for posting this here! I've been a silent stalker of this forum for about seven months, and now that my videos have received some attention here, I guess it's time I step out of the shadows and introduce myself.

I'd like to thank everyone for being kind with your comments. When I first started to get massive hits on the 'Mr. Beer Goes Horribly Wrong' a lot of the comments (especially the ones when it got posted on liveleak) weren't so nice. Mostly people calling me an idiot and questioning my sexuality. So again thank you all for being polite.

Just to confirm / answer some of the comments you guys have made;

Yes, I am totally hooked on home brewing. Since this first initial terrible experience back in May of last year I've made a good 14 more batches. And, as some of you have seen from watching my other videos I'm now making five gallon brews in plastic carboys and kegging them.

After my initial failure I immediately ordered a refill kit for Mr. Beer's west coast pale ale, and filmed myself making it from beginning to end, determined to get an acceptable result. I also read a few books and started making a five gallon batch of Coopers Australian Ale simultaneously. The Mr. Beer went into bottles and the Coopers went into a secondary carboy and conditioned while I made my Kegerator conversion. About a week or two before I kegged the Coopers Is when I brewed my first brew from dry extract and pellet hops.

I still use the Mr. Beer Kit. C'mon that thing was a six dollar investment:D But nowadays I mostly ust use it to make small experimental brews or to use up leftover DME and hops from my larger batches. Early on I made their witty Monk witbeir and their seasonal Belgian Dubbel, from the prehopped LME refill kits they sell. I must admit that both were delicious, but brewing with prehopped extract has lost it's appeal to me at this point. As it's basically just reconstituting and fermenting beer that was brewed by someone else.

Most of my more current brews are extract with specialty grain or partial mash. I'd like to make the transition to all grain and am in the process of designing a mini mash ton. However for now, my major focus is on renovating and selling my house and moving in to a larger home with my fiancee. So most of my brewing projects are on hold for the moment until I get moved into my new house. BTW if anyone here lives in the Washington DC area and wants to buy a 3 bedroom 1 bathroom condo in Northern silver Spring I should be listed by the end of the month. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYuMpxGKKrg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v3bbrVbfRY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh4x7fxoe20

Greetings and Salutations, My name is Mike Jewel, and I'm the creator of this video. Wow thanks for posting this here! I've been a silent stalker of this forum for about seven months, and now that my videos have received some attention here, I guess it's time I step out of the shadows and introduce myself.

I'd like to thank everyone for being kind with your comments. When I first started to get massive hits on the 'Mr. Beer Goes Horribly Wrong' a lot of the comments (especially the ones when it got posted on liveleak) weren't so nice. Mostly people calling me an idiot and questioning my sexuality. So again thank you all for being polite.

Just to confirm / answer some of the comments you guys have made;

Yes, I am totally hooked on home brewing. Since this first initial terrible experience back in May of last year I've made a good 14 more batches. And, as some of you have seen from watching my other videos I'm now making five gallon brews in plastic carboys and kegging them.

After my initial failure I immediately ordered a refill kit for Mr. Beer's west coast pale ale, and filmed myself making it from beginning to end, determined to get an acceptable result. I also read a few books and started making a five gallon batch of Coopers Australian Ale simultaneously. The Mr. Beer went into bottles and the Coopers went into a secondary carboy and conditioned while I made my Kegerator conversion. About a week or two before I kegged the Coopers Is when I brewed my first brew from dry extract and pellet hops.

I still use the Mr. Beer Kit. C'mon that thing was a six dollar investment:D But nowadays I mostly ust use it to make small experimental brews or to use up leftover DME and hops from my larger batches. Early on I made their witty Monk witbeir and their seasonal Belgian Dubbel, from the prehopped LME refill kits they sell. I must admit that both were delicious, but brewing with prehopped extract has lost it's appeal to me at this point. As it's basically just reconstituting and fermenting beer that was brewed by someone else.

Most of my more current brews are extract with specialty grain or partial mash. I'd like to make the transition to all grain and am in the process of designing a mini mash ton. However for now, my major focus is on renovating and selling my house and moving in to a larger home with my fiancee. So most of my brewing projects are on hold for the moment until I get moved into my new house. BTW if anyone here lives in the Washington DC area and wants to buy a 3 bedroom 1 bathroom condo in Northern silver Spring I should be listed by the end of the month. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYuMpxGKKrg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v3bbrVbfRY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh4x7fxoe20

I've watched all your recent videos of brewing and see how good your newer stuff is turning out, and how much its improved from when you started, and it gave me inspiration to start brewing. Once my fiancee and I move into our place, I am going to give it a shot. I have no idea when this will be, so i don't wanna start anything right away if im just gonna have to ruin it by trying to transfer it lol. so thank you for your videos!

Here's how I know something's going to go wrong...

"This is my first video NOT about gardening..."
"So for $6 to brew 9 quarts, it can't be too shabby, right?"
"I looked at this can of the wort condensed... it had a date of best used by August 11, 1996... it's 2011."

Haha

Awesome man, it's good to see that you're still enjoying the hobby. When you're looking for that new house, make sure you silently scope it for a private brewing storage room, and a small section of yard to grow hops :p

Welcome Mike,

Loved your videos and attitude toward the whole situation. Glad to see you joined up here. It's a fantastic place to expand your brewing knowledge. Good luck on selling the house, and congrats on the engagement.

Happy Brewing!

Holy crap dude...I am sitting here at work crying I was laughing so hard. Now everyone is looking at me like I'm the crazy one. Thanks dude.

Your video definitely made me laugh. I’m glad you are such a good sport about all the friendly ribbing you’re receiving here. In the end we are all brewers (or soon to be in some cases) so I would hope you would see any comments that are unduly harsh.

I think the fact that you went through the process, came up with less than good results, yet proceeded to get hook regardless is a testament to how enjoyable this hobby is.

Oh man, this is the best thread I've read in weeks. Mike, I love your delivery:

"And I guess I sort of dry hopped it. Because well, I let it ferment with the coconut in it...I dry coconut-ed it. Because I didn't use any hops, I added coconut...So coconut ale...Hmm, I wonder what that will taste like?".

A) Congrats on the success and the new hobby. Mr Beer or not, it's all the same basic process. Also very cool of you to post here.
B) I think you've got a future doing these vids. Your delivery is perfect, don't change a thing. I might have to check out your gardening vids.

I've watched all your recent videos of brewing and see how good your newer stuff is turning out, and how much its improved from when you started, and it gave me inspiration to start brewing. Once my fiancee and I move into our place, I am going to give it a shot. I have no idea when this will be, so i don't wanna start anything right away if im just gonna have to ruin it by trying to transfer it lol. so thank you for your videos!

Thank you, you're really welcome. I'm renovating right now myself and in a similar situation, getting married, moving, etc. So I'm taking a small brewing hiatus until I can get all my gear set up in the new house. Which is probably going to be a couple months from now. I must warn you, this hobby is addictive, My fiancee and I just kicked my last corny of the year this past weekend and I'm not going to have anything new racked for months. I can honestly say the withdrawal is excruciating. That's brewing withdrawal, not drinking withdrawal. I'm still drinking... :mug:

Awesome man, it's good to see that you're still enjoying the hobby. When you're looking for that new house, make sure you silently scope it for a private brewing storage room, and a small section of yard to grow hops

Definitely, I just started reading a book on growing hops last week. Mandatory requirements for new home = Brew Cave + Hops Garden.

Definitely, I just started reading a book on growing hops last week. Mandatory requirements for new home = Brew Cave + Hops Garden.
Cool, might I also suggest The Homebrewer's Garden which has a number of alternative plants that you can grow and use in your brew. I saw that you also do gardening, so this would be right up your alley. I'm currently growing only a few from the book, but it's a great way to start doing historical beers or adding a unique touch to the flavor.

Cool, might I also suggest The Homebrewer's Garden which has a number of alternative plants that you can grow and use in your brew. I saw that you also do gardening, so this would be right up your alley. I'm currently growing only a few from the book, but it's a great way to start doing historical beers or adding a unique touch to the flavor.

That's exactly the book I'm reading! I'm focusing more on the chapter 1, hops related stuff. But a lot of the chapter 2 herbs are very interesting and I might consider growing them if I have the space to do a secondary herb garden after all my hops and vegetables are planted. I'm also thinking about growing a raised bed of Jora, if it's not too different from growing regular corn.

If you can spare some time reading and half a day brewing, check out "Brew in a bag" as a quick introduction to all grain. There is a nice intro to it here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab-brewing-pics-233289/

A search on BIAB will keep you busy reading for quite a while.

Awesome, I will check it out.

That's exactly the book I'm reading! I'm focusing more on the chapter 1, hops related stuff. But a lot of the chapter 2 herbs are very interesting and I might consider growing them if I have the space to do a secondary herb garden after all my hops and vegetables are planted. I'm also thinking about growing a raised bed of Jora, if it's not too different from growing regular corn.

If you can spare some time reading and half a day brewing, check out "Brew in a bag" as a quick introduction to all grain. There is a nice intro to it here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab-brewing-pics-233289/

A search on BIAB will keep you busy reading for quite a while.

Awesome, I will check it out.

Hops growing is pretty easy too. I planted Cascade, Hallertau, and Williamette in northern MN. Got some first year hops from Cascade and Williamette. Added it all in a dry hop for my pale ale which smells heavenly. Expecting much bigger crop next fall.

A guy doing gardening vids would probably get a few ounces from each in their first year. Definitiely recommend jumping in. Just need to either build a trellis or put an eye hook up in a tree with ropes.

I think what I find so funny about that first video is that I completely understand. While I never did Mr. Beer, I remember the first several batches my buddies and I made, and making something pretty atrocious but wanting so bad to like it.

ahaha I really enjoyed this video. I remember the first time I tried a homebrew, a friend of mine made it, and it was definitely infected. I didn't know it at the time, but looking back he had a serious infection going on.

Haha!

Awesome video, and awesome attitude. I admit, if I had started this hobby as you did, I'm not sure if I would have continued! Keep it up.

"I drink a lot of Pabst blue ribbon and bud light, so how bad could this be". Love that part.
Welcome to the obsession. Cool videos.

Greetings and Salutations, My name is Mike Jewel, and I'm the creator of this video.
I ran across your video on Youtube a few weeks ago.
I thought is was well done and interesting. I chose to start brewing with a Mr. Beer kit (not an old one :) ). I always give two thumbs up to real experiences.

Back