Candi Sugar & Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
I'm reading all these beer reviews on Beer Advocate for Great Divide's Grand Cru (A Belgian Dark Strong) I bought a few days ago before I try it and a ton of these tasing notes are citing "Candi Sugar" in the taste and even some in the aroma.

Are these guys just morons or does candi sugar actually have a distinct taste that I'm missing here? Are they mistakenly calling residual sweetness "candi sugar?" If so can someone reccomend a different beer rating site with better reviews that will help me hone my tasting skills?

I was always under the impresssion that it was flavorless after it had fully fermented out (not D2, but Candi Sugar.) It was just the overwhelming prevelance of this descriptor in the reviews that have me questioning myself here.

From what I understand, Belgian candi produces a very distinct flavor when you're seeking it, much as using molasses during fermentation will leave its own characteristic. Yes, the bulk of the sugar will ferment out, but the residue that remains is quite unique. I'm certainly not an expert on Belgian styles, but I believe that this is also why, if you wish to dry out a beer without impacting flavor, corn sugar is usually best, as it's the cleanest pure sugar.

I think it has more to do with what type of sugar you are using I have brewed with 3 of the candy sugars on the following link. And they all have different taste after you make them, not only color. I am not 100% sure that gets translated to the final product though.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/
candy.jpg

I should try one recipe with the 250 degree sugar and the same recipe with the 270 degree sample (one gallon batches). Then we could see if the sugar really does make a big difference in flavor.

I am curious to see what more experienced brewers say on this subject.

I guess the difference I am thinking is Sugar vs Syrup.

The candi sugar I am thinking of is just inverted non-carmelized sugar from beets or sugar cane, which is indeed flavorless upon being fermented by the yeast, who fully ferment it leaving no residuals to taste sweet.

I agree that the carmelized sugar syrups do add a distinct multi-dimensional flavor to the beer but I am confused when people are citing they are tasting "candi sugar" vs "candi syrup" as there is a very large difference between these two and no reviews at all cite "candy syrup."

Most Belgian-style recipes I see call for one of the caramelized versions (such as...); I've never seen a recipe call for clear candi specifically, which is what it sounds like you're picturing. I'm not sure why one would use the clear version rather than just standard cane sugar, as I can't imagine it makes a difference. However, as you point out, there is a distinct difference between the darker versions and the lighter ones. I'd imagine the residue from the darker candis is what the reviews are pointing to.

Back