American IPA Simcoe / Amarillo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beasticles

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Safale US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
light orange
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days around 73
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days around 73
Tasting Notes
Well Balanced IPA with strong grapefruit and floral presence
Ingredient --- Amount --- Directions

British crystal 55 malt --- .5 lb --- Steep 160 deg for 20 min and sparge

LME --- 7 lbs --- Boil 3 gal H20 then take off heat, stir in LME, bring to re-boil until hot break. Add hops after.

Simcoe / Amarillo --- 1 oz / 1 oz --- 60 min
Simcoe --- 1 oz --- 25 min
Amarillo --- .5 oz --- 10 min
amarillo --- .5 oz --- 5 min
amarillo --- 1 oz --- flameout

amarillo --- 1 oz --- dry hop 14 days

safale us-05 --- 1 packet --- make slurry, add with bru-vigor

OXYGENATE LIKE CRAZY!!!!!!!

Carbonated in the bottle after adding 4.5 oz dextrose in bottling bucket.

This brew was freakin' fantastic. Hops are some of my favorites, and were spot on and not overly bitter. Well-balanced and delicious.

Beasticles - I'm going to try this one myself, although the IBUs look a bit high for my tastes. On reflection - would you suggest any changes? Cheers

I loved the way it came out. It's hoppiness is not overpowering, certainly leaning more toward a pale ale than an imperial. The combo of simcoe and amarillo is stellar. Give it a shot and let us know and mods you made and how it came out.

Thanks - will do. I've got some carared for colour that I'm probably going to use also, otherwise no changes I reckon.

Hello, fairly new brewer here.

I've always heard not to dry hop for longer than 7 days. What is it like with the 14 day dry hop? Would it be much different to dry hop for only 7 days?

Hop how you like. Damn the critics. If it works, do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ingredient --- Amount --- Directions

safale us-05 --- 1 packet --- make slurry, add with bru-vigor

Is this necessary? I've only brewed 2 batches of beer so far, and in both cases I just pitched the dry yeast. I have no experience in making slurry or using bru-vigor so I am just wondering how important this is, and what are the benefits to this as opposed to pitching dry yeast. Would there be any downsides to just pitching the US-05 without making slurry?

You can pitch dry just fine. After a while you can start trying slurries or move up to liquid yeast and make starters. But it's not imperative.

Just out of curiosity, what would be the effect if i increased the amount of crystal malt?

I was very excited to hear about your success! I posted a thread asking the exact same thing (except my recipe bittered with Columbus). I've never had the pleasure of using either one of these hops, but with your seal of approval, I'm very excited!

So I brewed this recipe yesterday and I'm very excited to see how it turns out.

The only difference was that I added 1 tsp of irish moss at the 15 minute mark during the hop additions. And I dry pitched the yeast.

I usually siphon from kettle to primary (after the wort is cooled of course), but this time poured the whole kettle into the primary and didn't siphon or run it through a strainer/funnel. I still made sure to leave behind the hop sludge.

My OG was pretty spot on right about 1.056

My plan is to do 21 days in primary then transfer for 7 days in secondary with dry hop.

My only concern is my kettle lid may not have been super clean when I used it this time. I scrubbed it but it with PBW before I started, but it still had some residue. Of course I was able to get it all off after the brew....

O well, I'm trying to RHAHB.

:mug:

So I brewed this recipe yesterday and I'm very excited to see how it turns out.

The only difference was that I added 1 tsp of irish moss at the 15 minute mark during the hop additions. And I dry pitched the yeast.

I usually siphon from kettle to primary (after the wort is cooled of course), but this time poured the whole kettle into the primary and didn't siphon or run it through a strainer/funnel. I still made sure to leave behind the hop sludge.

My OG was pretty spot on right about 1.056

My plan is to do 21 days in primary then transfer for 7 days in secondary with dry hop.

My only concern is my kettle lid may not have been super clean when I used it this time. I scrubbed it but it with PBW before I started, but it still had some residue. Of course I was able to get it all off after the brew....

O well, I'm trying to RHAHB.

:mug:

What were you doing with the kettle lid? The only time I use the lid is to help heat mash water a bit faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I had it on while it was heating up to boiling before I added the LME, and I had it on the kettle when it was in the ice bath in my sink to drop temp after the boil.

The lid was clean and it was on during the boil so it should have been sanitized, it just had a slight amount of residue that I must have not scrubbed all the way off beforehand..I didn't really think anything of it until afterward and of course I was like "crap, did I screw it all up?!?"

I think your thinking about it too much. If you hadn't noticed the residue you wouldn't be freaking out. So just wait it out. I bet it turns out drinkable.

I think your thinking about it too much. If you hadn't noticed the residue you wouldn't be freaking out. So just wait it out. I bet it turns out drinkable.

Yea I'm not really too worried about it right now. It is what it is.

Back