First time washing yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phan71

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm harvesting yeast for the first time. I'm getting pretty good separation between the yeast, trub, and beer water on top. Every time I pour to a new container, some of the trub comes with, so I keep doing this, getting less trub each time. Is it okay to keep some of the trub on the bottom? How much is acceptable?

Also, once the yeast completely settles, do you pour off the remaining liquid that's on top, or leave it on the yeast? I've read conflicting information on this. And, if there's still a little trub under the yeast at this point, is it okay to leave the yeast on it?

Thanks!

The few times I washed yeast I was using Wyeast 1056 and three mason jars. I filled each half way with water and placed them in the microwave for ten min without the lids, of course! Then after I racked the beer into the keg i poured the contents of one mason jar in the carboy after it was cooled in the fridge with the tops on. I swirled it around and dumped it back into the mason jar. I let it rest for an hour and repeated it with each jar. The final jar settled out very nicely the next day. It was very white and clean. Try to leave the heavy particles in the bottom of the jar when transferring. The good viable yeast will stay in suspension for longer than the trub and dead yeast. But don't wait more than 30 min to an hour before transferring the liquid to the next stage. I kept it in the fridge for about a month and poured a starter on it and it went off with out a hitch. Good luck and practice good sanitation for a successful wash.

Well, I got it to the point where it doesn't look like there's any trub on the bottom. Right now, it's starting to develop about an 1/8" white cake on the bottom with a cloudy suspension above that and 1/4" clear liquid on top, so I think I'm on the right track.

You only washing it to get the majority of the trub out so you'll have cleaner yeast to make a starter.:D

Once you decide not to transfer to a new sanitized container you alow it time for the yeast to drop out leaving mostly cleared water.

At that time you can pour off the majority of the water...slowly so you don't disturb the yeast.

Depending on the container, you can leave about 1/4" of water on top.

At this point I'll swirl up the yeast from the bottom and pour the contents into sanitized baby food jars. Sometimes I get as many as 8 jars of yeast.

Make labels with the style of yeast -- if it has a number use it; i.e., WLP300, date, and which batch it came from. You'll need this in case that batch goes bad or is exceptionally good.:D

Back