Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't really have any objections to them. i just don't have them and there's no LHBS anywhere in my area, and i don't want to pay shipping and wait a week. i'll probably try it. good thought on the bottling from the keg. i didn't think about that, i just won't bottle any. thanks!

I'm thinking of doing a batch of skeeter pee using the yeast slurry from the apfelwein I'm currently making. However, I was planning to leave the apfelwein in the primary for at least six weeks (and then straight to bottles). Will this´lead to the slurry being unusable, since the apfelwein will have fermented dry?
From the Skeeter pee FAQ:
"Stay away from these problem slurries:

•A slurry coming from a wine that has already fermented dry. This means that the yeast has run out of food and died or gone inactive. We want an active slurry, so I recommend racking and collecting at an S.G. of 1.005."

The reason to use a healthy active yeast cake is so that it can combat any preservatives that are found in the lemon juice. You may want to do something that I've seen discussed before: Ferment the sugar wash alone, initially, and then start adding a portion of the lemon juice once it is actively going. I don't know the exact amounts of lemon juice to add, however. I'm sure you should start off small (1/8 of the volume lemon juice after you have a full active ferment) and then ramp it up once the yeasties are aware what is coming.

Just be careful of volume control. I'd take RDWHAHB too seriously and end up with a 5 gallon sugar wash, throwing the %'s all out of whack.

Has anybody done this in the past? Added the lemon juice in the middle - or heaven forbid - at the end of the ferment? I can't imagine that lemon juice has a noticeable sugar content. Would there be any harm to it? It sure would make life easier - no worrying about it at all. Except, as I mentioned, volume control.

I just bottled my first batch of Pee last night, it turned out amazing. I made a starter using EC-1118 yeast and a can of Cran-raspberry concentrate (diluted to an SG the same as the Pee must, 1.080). I got the starter fermenting like crazy, then added a couple cups of Pee must every few hours until I had a gallon jug of cran-rasp Pee fermenting like crazy, then poured it into my Pee bucket. Otherwise, I followed Lon's directions and it worked beautifully, it was dry as a bone within a week.

I... might be hungover on Pee right now :)

Just started my first batch of SP last Wednesday with 2 packs of EC-1118 that I rehydrated, 24 hours after I first mixed it all up in the primary. By Saturday the hydro reading was 1.040 (OG = 1.070), so I threw in the last quart of lemon juice, energizer and nutrients, and by Sunday evening the hydro reading was 1.016, bubbling away like mad!

Can't wait for it to be ready :tank:

2exbqe1.jpg

I just whipped together my first batch of skeeter pee. Thought I'd give the starter a try...

I have an Erlenmeyer flask and added 400 ml of the skeeter pee must (after all the initial additions) plus an additional 1/4 tsp. of yeast nutrient. I pitched EC-1118 and stuck it in the warm garage and had pretty good activity after about 30 minutes. I added more must up to 600 ml and now it's going nuts. It seems even more active than my typical beer starters.

I'm going to let this roll overnight, but I'm not seeing too much issue with a skeeter pee starter.

Does anyone know why the recipe calls for invert sugar ? I read thru the faqs on skeeterpee.com and didn't see a answer. We are on our 9th batch now. I have been following Lon's recipe because it is so predictable. The only change I have made is using a starter. But making the invert sugar is kind of a pain. I would like to skip this step and just use cane sugar if it doesn't affect the skeeter pee.

Does anyone know why the recipe calls for invert sugar ? I read thru the faqs on skeeterpee.com and didn't see a answer. We are on our 9th batch now. I have been following Lon's recipe because it is so predictable. The only change I have made is using a starter. But making the invert sugar is kind of a pain. I would like to skip this step and just use cane sugar if it doesn't affect the skeeter pee.

I'm not entirely sure, but this is what I do know and maybe someone can build on my response...

Inverting sugar separates the sucrose into its individual fructose and glucose molecules. This is helpful in cooking because it prevents the sugar from re-crystallizing, which is also a benefit in brewing. But the main brewing benefit is that the yeast can only convert glucose, and would have to break down the sucrose first before it can begin fermenting. I know this method is frequently used by Belgian brewers.

I assume that since the pee is such a harsh environment for the yeast, this step makes is much easier for the yeast to do what you want it to do and facilitates quicker fermentation - in addition to keeping the sugar in suspension.

In regards to flavor, a lot of people mention that using cane sugar (sucrose) in brewing can lead to a "cidery" taste and perhaps inverting the sugar prevents this? I would be really curious to hear from someone who tried making this without inverting the sugar to see if there is much difference in flavor. But I know at least part of it is to help lead to a quicker fermentation.

Lots of this stuff is bottled by people in clear bottles. I'd like to do that too and show off the pee in all it's yellow glory.

Where can I get clear, capable bottles? The only clear beer bottles I know of are Corona - and I think they have painted labels - and MGD which is definitely twist-off.

Lots of this stuff is bottled by people in clear bottles. I'd like to do that too and show off the pee in all it's yellow glory.

Where can I get clear, capable bottles? The only clear beer bottles I know of are Corona - and I think they have painted labels - and MGD which is definitely twist-off.

Newcastle bottles are clear and non-twist off.

This step isn't needed (IMHO). Because there are already all the elements needed to make invert sugar in the fermenter - add it all in and let it rip. Have made 5 batches, all good, all without the extra step.

You need sugar, water and citric acid to make invert sugar. Ever look at the ingredient list for SP? :)

My method is:
1. Use 75F tap water, mix in sugar in a bucket.
2. Add 2/3 lemon concentrate and 2/3 yeast nutrient and energizer.
3. Ferment at 72-73F ~24 hours.
4. Add the remaining 1/3 real lemon/nutrient/energizer.

I then sorbate, sulphite and backsweeten to 1.014-1.024 depending on the dry or sweet flavor I am going for.

Easy peasy.

I also have been simply racking off SP from a batch and dumping in a new batch on top of the SP lees. 3 batches on the same yeast cake so far and no issues. I will go back to 2 packets dry yeast after 3 batches though - just in case

@Cidah: So is heating it unnecessary given enough time to create the invert sugar? Or is it the yeast that inverts it?

What exactly are lees, is that the same thing as the yeast cake

Yeah lees are the combination of sediment, yeast, etc resultant from fermentation. For wine it is called lees (SP is a wine). For Beer is is called Trub.

@Cidah: So is heating it unnecessary given enough time to create the invert sugar? Or is it the yeast that inverts it?

The ascorbic acid is what makes it invert sugar.

Does it hurt it to go to the lengths of extra heating? absolutely not. However in my experience with this recipe the extra work is simply not needed for a solid end product.

I think the things that are important are 1. keeping your ferment temp high 72-73F and the two additions of the lemon energizer nutrient. I have seen empirical evidence that supports the late addition. That said - I bet if you piled it all in at once it would come out just fine, pending you keep your temps up to support the yeast in the hostile environment.

I should say - I am not 100% certain if you get a true invert sugar without cooking it. I do know the recipe works very well without using invert sugar.

From what I have read the purpose of inverting the sugar is breaking sucrose into fructose and glucose via the use of enzymes or heat and ascorbic acid (think lemon). Glucose and Fructose are then broken down via the fermentation process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_sugar_syrup

The main purpose of inverting the sugar is to help the yeast break down sucrose (something the yeast already does on its own). While it may help - my ferments have not had off or wild or sulfur flavors/smells. This gives me anecdotal proof that the inverting is not a requirement for good results.

CidahMastah said:
My method is:
1. Use 75F tap water, mix in sugar in a bucket.
2. Add 2/3 lemon concentrate and 2/3 yeast nutrient and energizer.
3. Ferment at 72-73F ~24 hours.
4. Add the remaining 1/3 real lemon/nutrient/energizer.
Yup.... This is all it takes... I also add more oxygen after the first 24hrs..

Honestly, even if it's not true invert sugar, if the taste isn't any different then I guess it doesn't matter.

Seems like the purpose of inverting is just make it easier to convert by the yeast. But it sounds like most people are have no trouble getting fermentation on this stuff, despite the original recipes implication that it's difficult - especially without a yeast slurry from a previous batch.

Like I said, my starter is going strong using just the SP must - dry yeast has been completely idiot-proof in my experience... which is great for me! :)

Honestly, even if it's not true invert sugar, if the taste isn't any different then I guess it doesn't matter.

Seems like the purpose of inverting is just make it easier to convert by the yeast. But it sounds like most people are have no trouble getting fermentation on this stuff, despite the original recipes implication that it's difficult - especially without a yeast slurry from a previous batch.

Like I said, my starter is going strong using just the SP must - dry yeast has been completely idiot-proof in my experience... which is great for me! :)

I agree with all of this.

two packs of any wine yeast should do you. I have used premier cuvee and L-1118, both with very similar results. I will stick with 1118 just becuase that is what I usually keep on back up supply.

I agree with all of this.

two packs of any wine yeast should do you. I have used premier cuvee and L-1118, both with very similar results. I will stick with 1118 just becuase that is what I usually keep on back up supply.

I was just going to ask if anyone ever tried Premier Cuvee yeast for this. I used the L1118 but a local winemaker suggested the PC.

CidahMastah said:
Yeah lees are the combination of sediment, yeast, etc resultant from fermentation. For wine it is called lees (SP is a wine). For Beer is is called Trub.

Hey thanks cidahmastah good looking out! Appreciate the quick response

I put my skeeter pee on a yeast cake from an amber ale. Cal ale yeast with a little of the dry hop left over. Any votes on if this was a bad idea or genius?

I put my skeeter pee on a yeast cake from an amber ale. Cal ale yeast with a little of the dry hop left over. Any votes on if this was a bad idea or genius?

My main concern would be whether or not the ale yeast can ferment it dry.... you'll have to let us know on the flavor.

One thing to consider when using a low alcohol tolerant yeast is that as the yeast approaches its alcohol toxicity threshold, it is increasingly stressed. Stressed yeast are prone to creating off flavors and smells. My suggestions would be to keep your starting S.G. on the low side to create a lower alcohol beverage and to do a good job of making sure nothing else stresses the yeast (temp, nutrient deficiency, lack of oxygen)

I was just going to ask if anyone ever tried Premier Cuvee yeast for this. I used the L1118 but a local winemaker suggested the PC.

By my understanding, these two yeast are a very similar or same strain. One is supplied by Lavlin, the other by Red Star.

The yeast itself is capable of breaking the sucrose down into components it can digest. The reason I include invert sugar in the recipe is that it gives the yeast a ready and available food source without requiring them to work to get it. It also tends to shorten the total time of ferment which makes this one of my "fastest start to bottle" wines I make. The recipe is geared to be quick, cheap, and easy.

I get wine makers of all experience levels trying this recipe. There are some who have trouble getting a ferment started even with all the advantages in the recipe. The inverted sugar is one less obstacle for a newbie's yeast to overcome.

If you're not in a hurry, and you have a healthy colony of yeast, inverting the sugar isn't necessary.

Lon, I just want to say thanks again for your recipe...it has been a hugh hit at the BBQ's I've taken it to.

It also works so well racked over fresh fruit. So far I have done small batches of cherry, strawberry, lime and blueberry pee. All have been fantastic! Time to start the pipeline!

Cheers,
The Doctor

Yeah Lon - I was thinking this same thing yesterday when I racked off yet another batch of skeeter pee. Great job on trail blazing this recipe!

Doctor Who, you say you've made small batchs, how much do you cut the recipe to make a 1 gallon batch?

Actually, I should have amended that. I make the regular recipe and then when it is time for the secondary rack, I split that up into 1 gallon jugs with different fruits depending on what I feel like. I am still trying to find the one I like best. So far it's strawberry!

However, it should be as simple as dividing everything by 5 (ish). It's hard to mess up...really the only thing you want to be very sure of is that you have stopped fermentation...otherwise BOOOM goes the bottle. After that you can always add more lemon juice or sugar to meet your tastes.

I recommend experimentation...it's fun and you might hit upon something brilliant!

Lon, I just want to say thanks again for your recipe...it has been a hugh hit at the BBQ's I've taken it to.

It also works so well racked over fresh fruit. So far I have done small batches of cherry, strawberry, lime and blueberry pee. All have been fantastic! Time to start the pipeline!

Cheers,
The Doctor

Yea this stuff is a huge hit at our marina. Got 5 gallons a week in the pipeline and barely keeping up with the demand. It really makes for a great party.
Great job Lon!!

Back