First Competition Results: Discouraged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
Just thought I would vent on my favorite forum. Entered my first competition and just got the results. Pretty bummed. I thought I was making some pretty good beer but perhaps not. I entered:

English IPA: Scored a 27
Got crushed on aroma scores but I still feel like it is to style. It's not supposed to be as crazy hopped as an American style but, oh well. I guess I need to go crazy with aroma for future competition brews.

Sweet Stout: Scored a 24

This one I just don't get. Kept getting nailed for "not sweet enough". Two judges commented said I should have used lactose. I used 1.25 pounds of lactose. It is obvious when you taste the beer that there is lactose in the brew.

I'm not trying to be sour about it, but it seems that it should be obvious that there is a good amount of lactose in this one.

This brings up a question as well for those that have competition experience:

I was under the impression that entering a BJCP sanctioned competition meant getting my beer evaluated by BJCP certified judges?

Is this not the case?

Only 1 of the 5 feedback forms I received have a BJCP judge number and the rest didn't check any of the boxes or judging info. They just skipped it.
So I don't even know the qualifications of who is giving this feedback.

Is this normal?

I'm sure I'll get fired up and just strive to improve my beers, I'm just a little bummed and discouraged because I put a lot of time, effort, and research into my beers and I feel like I pay a lot of attention to detail on brew day.

Thoughts?

Not every CP'd, BJ is equal. And the reality is that you could enter those same EXACT beers into another comp and would likely get high marks if not "Best of freekin Show."

It's a very subjective entity, even if they are certified.

I've known some judges that wouldn't know lactose if it was coming from a bewb.

The brewing network guys have talked a lot about competing, and they go on for a long long time about how bad judging is sometimes (most of which is unjustified). But I seem to remember that in order to judge, you might only have had to take the exam (not achieve a certification), and sometimes not even that much.

My thoughts are that most homebrew isn't as good as the brewers think it is ;) Sorry.

Screw the judges, if you like your beer then that is all that matters. If you want honest feedback that doesn't pull punches, enter competitions.

Often comps will not be all BJCP judges. Sometimes, the judges may suck. But they are doing their best and it is still an honest opinion from someone who likes beer.

Also, both your scores were in the "good" range. Basically, that means you made a good beer, but it isn't awesome. I think many homebrewers think they are making world class beer, but it is just not the case. VERY few homebrewers brew beer as good as a good micro.

So chin up Charlie, you are doing just fine. Just have fun and make beer you like to drink.

My thoughts are that most homebrew isn't as good as the brewers think it is ;) Sorry.

Screw the judges, if you like your beer then that is all that matters. If you want honest feedback that doesn't pull punches, enter competitions.

Often comps will not be all BJCP judges. Sometimes, the judges may suck. But they are doing their best and it is still an honest opinion from someone who likes beer.

Also, both your scores were in the "good" range. Basically, that means you made a good beer, but it isn't awesome. I think many homebrewers think they are making world class beer, but it is just not the case. VERY few homebrewers brew beer as good as a good micro.

So chin up Charlie, you are doing just fine. Just have fun and make beer you like to drink.

I hear what you're saying. I didn't think I was making world class beer, but I thought it was better than what I scored.

I guess I'm most disappointed that these weren't BJCP certified judges. Granted, I may have scored worse if they were, but I would at least be able to take the feedback more seriously and improve my brewing.

With this feedback from judges whose qualifications are a mystery, I don't know how much stock to put into the specific feedback.

You know what I mean?

I'm not a BJCP judge, but I will say that it is my understanding that good beer judges should never, ever, comment on ingredient additions or specific elements of the recipe. They can and should comment as much as they want on aroma, taste, and other sensory qualities of the beer in front of them (such as the comments like "not sweet enough"). They can and should compare it to their knowledge of the style. But given that they don't know the recipe, they should never say, "you should have used lactose". Good judges judge the qualities of the beer in front of them, but they shouldn't speculate on recipe & process that aren't provided to them.

I just entered my first competition, but I won't get the result for a couple more weeks.

Honestly I think I make pretty good beer, but I told my wife, I'd be happy to get somewhere in the 25-30 range for my scores. I like my beer, but I'm still very young in my brewing career.

Take the advice they gave, and give it a try, it may make for a better beer. Or, if it's not to your liking, just keep doing what you're doing, especially if YOU like it!

:mug:

I'm not a BJCP judge, but I will say that it is my understanding that good beer judges should never, ever, comment on ingredient additions or specific elements of the recipe. They can and should comment as much as they want on aroma, taste, and other sensory qualities of the beer in front of them (such as the comments like "not sweet enough"). They can and should compare it to their knowledge of the style. But given that they don't know the recipe, they should never say, "you should have used lactose". Good judges judge the qualities of the beer in front of them, but they shouldn't speculate on recipe & process that aren't provided to them.

I guess I kind of thought this too. But I am new to this. It was just frustrating for two judges to comment on the importance of using Lactose in a Sweet Stout, when I used a pretty fair amount.

I guess this is what also makes me wonder about a couple of the judges? Most Sweet Stouts contain Lactose. That's what contributes the creamy mouthfeel and unfermented sweetness.

With the surge in popularity of competitions, there is sometimes a major lack in BJCP judges. Sometimes stewards are even called upon to judge. There are also different ranks. A 60 on the exam will get you "Recognized". 70=certified, 80=National, 90=Master. Bad scores don't necessarily reflect how good your beer is, they just reflect how that paticular set of judges think your beer compares to the style.

I agree that judges shouldn't speculate about a beer. You often put your foot in your mouth. In my BJCP class, we have been told that it is appropriate, and encouraged to offer suggestions on how to improve the beer in "General Impression".

With this feedback from judges whose qualifications are a mystery, I don't know how much stock to put into the specific feedback.

You know what I mean?

Honestly, I don't put that much stock in the BJCP. Being certified doesn't mean you know anything about good beer IMO. I would rather have Joe Schmoe who really knows his stuff that some Beer Snob who studied for a while and took a test.

Were the comments consistent? If so, I think I would trust them. I want to get into competitions but don't think my beer is good enough to win them yet. I have enough beer judges to know how good (or bad) my beer is. The only reason for me to enter comps would be to win :D Many people don't have good critics though, so comps are a great way to get an honest, and hopefully, informed review of your beer.

Not every CP'd, BJ is equal. And the reality is that you could enter those same EXACT beers into another comp and would likely get high marks if not "Best of freekin Show."

It's a very subjective entity, even if they are certified.

I've known some judges that wouldn't know lactose if it was coming from a bewb.

+1000.

I don't care if a judge is certified or not,they still have their likes and dislikes, even though they'll never admit it. Any sport or competition that utilizes a system of judges is entirely subjective, so if you enter, you should not take it too seriously, good or bad. I've only entered one, and the three judges' reports were very different from one another.

I think one catch in the competition world is that some judges don't know the styles they are judging very well. Granted they took the test, but if they are judging a style of beer they don't particularly like, they haven't drank many commercial examples and they don't have a good base for judging, other than written descriptions.

As an example, I submitted a Saison to one competition last year and some of the judges told me that there were way too many phenolics. That same beer in a different competition got feedback that there was not enough phenolics to give it a Saison character, and I should try fermenting warmer on my next one.

Enter them into another competition. If you get similar scores/comments then you can probably accept them as an accurate interpretation of your beer. If they're wildly different...then I guess you'd need to enter a 3rd competition as a tiebreaker. :)

I'm no judge, and have entered only a handful of beers into competition. Of those some have scored about like I thought, some were trashed when I didn't think they were that bad, and a couple won medals when I thought they weren't all that great. It is, I think, sort of a crap shoot. I think a truly outstanding beer will stand out, regardless of how bad the judges might be, and I think a horrible beer will be evident as well. But that space between 25-35 seems wide open and subject as much to the judges personal tastes as anything else. Just my opinion.

As a Certified Beer Judge, I feel inclined to correct a few statements made about the BJCP system.

You DO have to take tests. They are both written and tasting. You have to pass with a certain number. THEN you have to judge in competitions. Once you get a certain number of experience points you move up the ranks. It doesn't matter what you score is on your tests, if you don't actually get out in the field and judge, you will never be certified.

"A judge with any passing score and fewer than 5 experience points receives the rank of Recognized.

Judges with a score of at least 70 on the exam and who have accumulated at least 5 experience points receive the Certified rank.

A score of 80 or above combined with 20 experience points provides the rank of National.

Judges achieve Master status by scoring 90 or better and acquiring 40 experience points.

There are also the Apprentice rank and several levels of Grand Master. Honorary ranks can be awarded; there are currently the Honorary Master and Honorary Grand Master ranks.

The Apprentice rank was created to encourage those who do not pass the exam to remain active with the program and to try the exam again in the future. Judges of Apprentice rank earn experience points and will remain on file as long as they continue to be active in registered competitions. They may not advance in rank until they achieve a passing grade on the exam, regardless of how many experience points they accumulate.

The Apprentice rank is contrasted with the term Novice, which is used to describe a relatively inexperienced judge who has not taken the BJCP exam but who has been allowed by a competition organizer to judge in a competition. Novice is not a BJCP rank, and a Novice Judge is not a member of the BJCP.
"
From BJCP website.

In the competitions I judged last year, there was at least one Certified Judge for each round at each table. For BOS, the panel was usually made up of National and Master level judges.

The make up of the judging will be dependent of where your competition is. We are lucky, in Colorado, to have many people who have taken the time to study, pass the exams and volunteer to judge. ALL of the judges I have worked with are brewers. Most of them are fairly advanced and all are very passionate about beer.

Part of the training is to give advice as to how to improve the beer they tasted based on their own experience.

I am sorry you did not receive the feedback you were expecting. One thing that did help me as a brewer was to become a judge. I got to taste a lot of VERY good beer and I learned from these beers how to improve mine.

Brewing for competition is different than brewing for fun. To do well in competition, your beer MUST meet the guidelines for the style. Prior to judging a round, the judges are given a calibration beer that defines the style. All the information about the style is in front of the judges. If it does not meet the style in any way, you will be dinged points. Unfortunately, I have judged beers that I thought were superbly made, but were not to style.

For more information on the BJCP check out their website: http://www.bjcp.org/index.php

(Prost to Wayne1's comments)

Okay, so I've been on both sides of this particular fence. In fact my first entries did worse than Lodovico's and I was very discouraged and resentful.

The best cure for this that I have found is to help with a judging yourself. I was nothing more than a Steward for the Dixie Cup, one of the largest competitions in the gulf coast area. Which means that I got to open and pour every beer in a particular category for each judge. That also meant that I got to follow along taste every entry and learn how this process takes place. I was Steward for a number of flights, but two of them stand out in my mind. The Barleywine flight and the Mead flight.

the Barleywine flight was the highlight of this "tour of duty" because I got to hear the comments and the perspectives of Mike Heniff, a legend in homebrewing in Houston. He wrote at least one article on Belgians for BYO. Anyway, I tasted all of the entries for the Barleywine category and I thought every one of them sucked. If any of these were commercial beers that I'd paid for, i'd of dumped them in the sink. These 4 judges were talking about the subtleties of flavors like horse blanket and wet cardboard, I just wanted somewhere to spit it out.

Same went for the Mead category. I remember well the Coffee/Cherry Metheglin that took second place in the Other Mead category. I couldn't drink that stuff, but it was far superior to anything else that I had tasted in this category.

So, the point... Yes, there is one... If you want to know how to win a competition, go volunteer to help at one. I promise, if you go into it with your eyes and ears wide open, your beer will improve as a result because you will learn something. If nothing else, you'll learn what not to do. Like submit a petulant sweet mead that has a 1/4 inch thick yeast cake in the bottom of the bottle because it continued to ferment after bottling into a dry, champagne fizzy mead by the time it got to judging. :tank:

Honestly, I don't put that much stock in the BJCP. Being certified doesn't mean you know anything about good beer IMO. I would rather have Joe Schmoe who really knows his stuff that some Beer Snob who studied for a while and took a test.

Were the comments consistent? If so, I think I would trust them. I want to get into competitions but don't think my beer is good enough to win them yet. I have enough beer judges to know how good (or bad) my beer is. The only reason for me to enter comps would be to win :D Many people don't have good critics though, so comps are a great way to get an honest, and hopefully, informed review of your beer.

The ability to be objective is not easy for some folks, especially when it comes to themselves. My wife watches American Idol and I'll occasionally catch glimpses of some of the early contestants. Enough said? :D

Read a little about the blind-taste tests that they put wine critics through and you'll start caring a little less about your scores. Taste reviews are very subjective, and they're influenced by prior knowledge, expectations, mood, etc. I think this article has been linked to in this forum before.

Great post Wayne.

I'd also like to add that a score in the 20's isn't bad. If you look in the lower left of your scoresheet, you see a breakdown of the scores. 21-29 is "Good". This means it was a well brewed beer, but might miss the mark a little on the style, or exhibit minor flaws.

If you want to do well in competitions, you really have to pay attention to the guidelines. Thats what judges are looking at when they judge your beer.

Not being a beer judge myself, and a newbie to the hobby, I don't get this statement. I would have thought that most of the people who go on to become certified would be normal Joe Schmoe's who enjoyed the hobby enough to put the time in to do study and learn more. Does doing that automatically make one a Beer Snob, and therefore have one's opinion invalidated?

That said, I just entered my first competition, so my opinion of judges is possibly about to change :drunk:

I couldn't disagree more with this.

If you want honest feedback, join a club and share your beer at the meetings. BJCP certified means they know how to pass a test; not actually taste beer. Some of my most hilarious score sheet comments came from BJCP certified judges last year:

"No color" (on a raspberry cider)
"Wrong hops for style" (on a 100% Saaz pils)
"Too much pepper!" (on a Delirium Tremens clone)
"Not enough spice" (on same Delirium clone)
"Would have scored better as a Tripel" (again on DT clone)

I know the judges are doing their best but it's an impossible task when you think about it logically from your own tasting experience. All it takes is one off-style beer at the start of the tasting flight to blow the judges' palates. Hell, even what they had for dinner the night before or the toothpaste they used that morning can dramatically alter their impression of a beer or the ability to detect flaws.

Competitions can be fun, but don't put too much faith in the scores, and unless a comment is consistent across score sheets, don't put much faith in those either. Think of it more as a lottery. :p

I guess any "beer snob" could study for a while and take the test...but would they do good? I doubt there are any/many judges out there who don't homebrew. Hell, there are 3 pro brewers in my study group.

Sorry to hear about your discouraging results. It sounds like you had a bad judging experience, but also that you may have had some unrealistic expectations.

This brings up a question as well for those that have competition experience:

I was under the impression that entering a BJCP sanctioned competition meant getting my beer evaluated by BJCP certified judges?

Is this not the case?

No, not at all. That's a big misconception. Getting sanctioning just means you will follow the basic rules of competitions advocated by the BJCP. They do not require that such competitions use BJCP judges.

Homebrew competitions are a lot like homebrew retailers. Some shops are good and some are bad. You have to figure out which are the good ones (where you can learn from the staff) and which are the bad ones (where you will take any advice with a grain of salt, or avoid them entirely).

Ask around here and find out which competitions have the best reputations (just like one might do for an LHBS). Those are the competitions to enter.

I appreciate the feedback. Wayne- good comments.

I guess the part that still isn't being addressed is:

Would any of you be upset that you spent the time and money to enter a BJCP Competition and NONE of the judges feedback forms were from a certified judge??
I'm sorry, but I am a little upset about that. I think that is a little misleading from an Competition Organizing standpoint. I just think that I would value these opinions a little more.

It's my fault for assuming that BJCP Sanctioned meant "official" BJCP judges would be doing the tasting which I don't think was that outrageous of an assumption for me to make.
I guess in my mind, now it doesn't mean much to me to see that a competition is BJCP Sanctioned, because I guess anyone could be doing the judging.

I'm curious to hear from a few more of you on if this is common at most sanctioned Comps???

Sorry to hear about your discouraging results. It sounds like you had a bad judging experience, but also that you may have had some unrealistic expectations.

No, not at all. That's a big misconception. Getting sanctioning just means you will follow the basic rules of competitions advocated by the BJCP. They do not require that such competitions use BJCP judges.

Homebrew competitions are a lot like homebrew retailers. Some shops are good and some are bad. You have to figure out which are the good ones (where you can learn from the staff) and which are the bad ones (where you will take any advice with a grain of salt, or avoid them entirely).

Ask around here and find out which competitions have the best reputations (just like one might do for an LHBS). Those are the competitions to enter.

Wow. Good to know. So you could have any Tom, Dick, or Harry judging your beer. This is surprising to me and also quite disappointing.

Had I realized this, I wouldn't have even bothered entering them. I was under the impression that there would be at least a couple BJCP judges at a sanctioned event.

Good to know before I wasted the money sending them to the next few that I had planned. Thanks!:mug:

Wow. Good to know. So you could have any Tom, Dick, or Harry judging your beer. This is surprising to me and also quite disappointing.
Yes, it is up to the competition organizer to gather good judges, not the Beer Judge Certification Program.

The contact information for the competition organizer is listed for every BJCP-sanctioned competition. It is common to have people email them and ask questions, like what the breakdown of judges will be. You want the MAJORITY to be BJCP Recognized, at the least, with a healthy mix of Certified-, National-, and perhaps even Master-level judges as well.

Yes, it is up to the competition organizer to gather good judges, not the Beer Judge Certification Program.

The contact information for the competition organizer is listed for every BJCP-sanctioned competition. It is common to have people email them and ask questions, like what the breakdown of judges will be. You want the MAJORITY to be BJCP Recognized, at the least, with a healthy mix of Certified-, National-, and perhaps even Master-level judges as well.

Yeah, 1 out of the 5 judges that did mine were Recognized and the rest were totally not ranked with BJCP. Bummer.

Quality of judges can vary as well as individual tastes. I saw your scores and thought, "Not too bad!" You could enter that same beer in another comp and get higher scores I think.

I got scores like that for one of my beers last year, and at another competition I scored second place. Difference being one was a competition of JUST that style, the other a competition of all styles together. I was one of only 2 IPAs being entered, and the other one got 1st place.

Of course I knew ahead of time that the judges were just beer guys. The only feedback I got from the second place finish was the brewmaster told me that it was a very clean beer. He didn't judge, but got to taste all entries. Yes written feedback would have been nice, but I'll take the medal, and shirt, and hat and goofy grin over the scoresheet this time.

I guess it comes down to persistent remarks. If you keep getting the same remarks, you might want to look into it. Otherwise, just read the feedback and take it for what you think it's worth. Randy Mosher has a good write up on tasting beer for judging in his "Tasting Beer" book. Makes me wonder if I could even do it, let alone be good at it.

Competitions can give you great feedback to help improve your recipes or brewing techniques. For the most part, i have learned a lot from the unbiased feedback from comps. I like to experiment with the suggestions I have received and try to improve on my recipes or brewing process based on the unbiased suggestions received. But then again, you may get a few bad scores from a judge or judges who don't like a style they have been assigned and your score will reflect that.

I recently got scores back for my Nemesis IIPA from the Big Beers Comp and they went as follows, 39, 40, 41 and 34. I got great feedback from 3 of the judges, one of which is a pro brewer who scored it a 41. The judge that scored a 34 really struck a nerve. Not because he scored my beer a 34, but merely because his hand writing was so illegible that his comments can't be read due to his sloppy cursive hand writing. It makes his score sheet of no use to me whatsoever. I guess that is just the nature of some comps.

I knew going in what the faults of this particular batch were. I figured it to be 37 to 39 at best and stated so in hbt chat to saq, who placed 2nd with an overall score of 40 (congrats again Saq). It was nice to see that 3 of the judges hit on the same fault that I had perceived, which was a lack of a more aggressive bitterness. But the samples sent to the comp were noted as being within style by 3 of the judges. I brew what I like, which isn't always to BJCP style. And neither was this IIPA as far as bitterness, IMHO. It was close to one of my regional favorites "Hopslam", but without the spicey character and more of a citrus forward flavor. But the bitterness is dead on.

Competitions are great for getting constructive feedback on your brews. Just be prepared for a heavy dose of humble pie if you choose to put your brews out there.

I couldn't disagree more with this.

If you want honest feedback, join a club and share your beer at the meetings. BJCP certified means they know how to pass a test; not actually taste beer. Some of my most hilarious score sheet comments came from BJCP certified judges last year:

"No color" (on a raspberry cider)
"Wrong hops for style" (on a 100% Saaz pils)
"Too much pepper!" (on a Delirium Tremens clone)
"Not enough spice" (on same Delirium clone)
"Would have scored better as a Tripel" (again on DT clone)

I know the judges are doing their best but it's an impossible task when you think about it logically from your own tasting experience. All it takes is one off-style beer at the start of the tasting flight to blow the judges' palates. Hell, even what they had for dinner the night before or the toothpaste they used that morning can dramatically alter their impression of a beer or the ability to detect flaws.

Competitions can be fun, but don't put too much faith in the scores, and unless a comment is consistent across score sheets, don't put much faith in those either. Think of it more as a lottery. :p

I'm not convinced that a local club can help, either. I was interested in a local club (which will remain nameless). I sat through a meeting and quickly realized that they really didn't know much about brewing, but rather they were more about fundraising events. When I mentioned things like decoction mashes, making your own candi sugar, washing your own yeast, and so on, the club PRESIDENT just looked at me with a blank stare as if I was speaking Klingon or something. They didn't have a clue. And when they passed around their beer for tasting, they all raved about it, but I wasn't impressed. So I didn't join.

I also think that people look for flaws. I served someone a beer of mine and he said he could taste the water softening salts. That is complete and utter BS on so many levels. Yet he couldn't taste the diacetyl in his own beer.

I got two scores on a Belgian, one from a BJCP for 37 and the other from a local brewer for 30. That is vastly different, so meh.

I'm not convinced that a local club can help, either. I was interested in a local club (which will remain nameless). I sat through a meeting and quickly realized that they really didn't know much about brewing, but rather they were more about fundraising events. When I mentioned things like decoction mashes, making your own candi sugar, washing your own yeast, and so on, the club PRESIDENT just looked at me with a blank stare as if I was speaking Klingon or something. They didn't have a clue. And when they passed around their beer for tasting, they all raved about it, but I wasn't impressed. So I didn't join.

Ouch. The clubs here in CO tend to be large and have some heavy-hitters in competitions. :(

I wouldn't discount the judges who are not recognized by the BJCP. Sure, the more practice you get at judging, the more likely you are to understand complexities in a specific style. However, I have to say from a personal standpoint that I have a better palate than a good deal of the judges I've met. I just signed up to judge for the first time ever, and when it comes down to it, I don't feel like my contributions will be any less valid than the next judge, even if he/she are experienced.

Sure, you think you deserve better scores. I might consider your beer to be something I'd rather dump. It is about perception and I think everyone tries their hardest on both ends. Do people make inaccurate statements, oh yes. Does their rank in the BJCP really matter that much? I don't think so.

I would really consider taking both beers to someone you know will be honest with you, and really picking them apart. Most of your friends won't do that. They'll just BS their way through it and try to stroke your ego. But that's why they're your friends.

So don't get discouraged, but also consider your flaws and faults and see where you can make improvements. You got honest feedback no matter if you disagree. Accept it even if it is with a grain of salt, and work harder to make better beer.

The judge that scored a 34 really struck a nerve. Not because he scored my beer a 34, but merely because his hand writing was so illegible that his comments can't be read due to his sloppy cursive hand writing. It makes his score sheet of no use to me whatsoever. I guess that is just the nature of some comps.
No, that is unacceptable. I suggest that you do yourself a favour and send a polite message to that judge by emailing him/her (they should have put their email on the scoresheet) to translate their writing for you. Attach a scan so that they can read what they wrote. They will probably feel bad enough that they will do the translation and write better on the next set of scoresheets.

If the judge didn't put their email on their scoresheet, contact the competition organizer for it, which sends a subtle message to him/her as well. They may be unaware that a judge has a hand-writing problem, particularly if it is a large competition where you don't have the luxury of inspecting every scoresheet before they go out.

All of this seems to be about the different sources of bias that go into all judgments, including taste perception.

There are multiple sources of bias, and even though every judge in all these situations has biases, entering a competition has fewer sources of bias than almost any other source judging of taste (self-tasting, friend tasting, beer club tasting). At least when you send it off to a competition it is judged blind without the judges knowing whose beer they are drinking. We've all had someone else's homebrew or cooking and been polite about it, even when they ask for our "honest" opinion. You can't escape that social pressure. Our own tastes also can't help but deceive us. I can't help but like beers I or a friend made simple because I or a friend made it, and this knowledge changes the way my brain actually experiences the beer. At least when you send beer off to a competition, you're removing all those biases -- the judges don't know you.

The biases that occur within the judge, though, are still there. They each still have their own biases & preferences about what they like in each style of beer, but this is true for everyone, competition judges & friends. Hopefully, the extra knowledge & experience that comes from being a BJCP judge decreases these biases, but it can't eliminate them.

Overall, competitions are going to give you more accurate feedback than most other sources of information about your beer. They are still biased, but less so than other sources of information about the quality of your beer.

I have to say from a personal standpoint that I have a better palate than a good deal of the judges I've met.

This goes back to what I said earlier in the thread. Many people simply don't recognize their own limitations. In college I learned that when viewing Rorschach tests (aka 'ink blot') technical people like myself tend to see lots of different 'things' in the blot while artistic people tend to see one thing, like a bird, flower, etc.. because they see the object as a whole instead of dissecting it like the technical folks do.

Strangely enough, when it comes to the palate, I cannot pick out all of the different things people report tasting in a brew. In tasting, I just get the 'overall' impressions. Maybe two different things at most. Like starts out citrus and ends up bitter.... So, no way I would ever consider even becoming a judge. My palate isn't qualified and I know it.

No, that is unacceptable. I suggest that you do yourself a favour and send a polite message to that judge by emailing him/her (they should have put their email on the scoresheet) to translate their writing for you. Attach a scan so that they can read what they wrote. They will probably feel bad enough that they will do the translation and write better on the next set of scoresheets.

If the judge didn't put their email on their scoresheet, contact the competition organizer for it, which sends a subtle message to him/her as well. They may be unaware that a judge has a hand-writing problem, particularly if it is a large competition where you don't have the luxury of inspecting every scoresheet before they go out.

In high school they made me take typing because even I couldn't read what I wrote. I was going through some old notebooks trying to declutter my life and looked at some of the stuff. No clue... Really... I guess another reason I should never judge. :D

Methinks that the email address on the sheet is most likely illegible, too..............

Back