Tongue Splitter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stickshaker

Reaction score
I've ordered this kit from Northern Brewer. Any suggestions on how or if I should beef it up? This is my inaugural batch after graduating from Mr. Beer Academy. :rockin:
Specialty Grains

0.5 lbs. Dingemans Caramel Pils
0.5 lbs. Simpsons Caramalt
Fermentables

6 lbs. Pilsen Malt Syrup
Boil Additions

1 oz. Nugget (60 min)
1 oz. Glacier (15 min)
1 oz. Cascade (10 min)
0.5 oz. Cascade (2 min)
0.5 oz. Liberty (2 min)
Special Ingredients

1/2 oz. Cascade Hops (dry hop)
Special Ingredients

1/2 oz. Liberty Hops (dry hop)
If you choose dry yeast

Safbrew S-33. Optimum temperature: 59-75° F.
If you choose liquid yeast

Wyeast #1332 Northwest Ale Yeast. Optimum temperature: 65-75° F.

I would say you brew it "as-is" and see what you think of it. No need to tweak anything until/unless you find it lacking in some way.

It seems a little more "sessionable" than I like. Isn't it like under 5% abv?

Mine finished at exactly 5%.

To me, a beer is all about balance. If you add more malt to boost the fermentables, and the ABV, then you'll "lose" the wonderful bitterness and hoppiness. It'll change the whole ratio between the SG and the IBUs.

If you want a high ABV beer, then it's best to start with a recipe that will give that to you.

Mine finished at exactly 5%.

To me, a beer is all about balance. If you add more malt to boost the fermentables, and the ABV, then you'll "lose" the wonderful bitterness and hoppiness. It'll change the whole ratio between the SG and the IBUs.

If you want a high ABV beer, then it's best to start with a recipe that will give that to you.

Mmmm. I like bitterness and hoppiness. I guess I'll leave it just the way it is. Thanks for the experienced voice of reason...:mug:

O.k., I took Walker and Yooper's advice and stuck to the recipe. This is my first non Mr.Beer brew, and also the first beer I've made where I say "Mmm,that's great beer" after every sip. Thanks for cooling my head.

I tried the AG kit too and thought it was excellent as is. Not the craziest IBU IPA, but a very nice brew all the same.

Back