Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nregitz

Reaction score
I'm a new home brewer and have brewed and bottled my first batch and have a second in primary fermentation. I was just wondering about adding dry yeast. On my first batch, I just added it straight from the package. On the second batch, I started the yeast the night before. Is there a preference when using dry yeast? Is there any advantages to starting the yeast the night before? Does anyone have a "special" technique?

I use mostly dry yeast, but I never add it directly. For my 1st batch, I followed the hydration instructions from Palmer. For my batches now, I hydrate well in advance (4 hours or so) with cooled boiled DME and water, and let the yeast get going a little. I normally have action within 6 hours. For the times that I use liquid, I always do a full starter a couple days in advance. I also normally pitch 2 packets of dry, as opposed to 1. Costs a little more, but I have never had an issue with lack of fermentation.

It's always advantagious to make a starter, even if it is just over-night. That said, I hydrate & pitch dry yeasts per the instructions, because it's worked well and is about as easy as things get.

On the other hand, I've never hydrated a dry yeast (which is mostly what I use, except for special bews like a hefe) - I just get the temperature in the primary about right and sprinkle it all over the top. No stirring, no special effort except to spread it around as if I was seasoning the wort. Never had a failure yet.

Back