3 New Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC_Brewer

Reaction score
Well i Just got my hand on 3 new keg shells. Im wondering what I should do with them. I have never brewed and am going to start in about a month. I was thinking about converting them all into Keggles. Would this be a good idea? Can you ferment in keggles? What other options do I have?

Thanks for the help

Build a Brutus Ten and brew your a-- off. All it takes to start are those 3 kegs. I brewed for my squadron at miramar a few years back. The first thing I had was my kegs instead of pots. Polish them out and they really look cool. Get some, devil dog.
Snake10

BH8.jpg

BH9.jpg

BH10.jpg

BH11.jpg

Build a Brutus Ten and brew your a-- off. All it takes to start are those 3 kegs. I brewed for my squadron at miramar a few years back. The first thing I had was my kegs instead of pots. Polish them out and they really look cool. Get some, devil dog.
Snake10

i want your setup.

what kind of fuel do you use? any more pictures or hints on building?

sorry to hijack.

Snake10

Bad A$$, best looking sculpture I've seen yet. Nice Job:mug:

Semper Fi

I wanted to build an all grain rig so I started looking on the web. I ran across Phil's HERMS Brewery website and clicked on links, brewhalla or something like that, saw the many rigs, clicked on the ones that I liked and went deeper from there. Most rigs have their own blog or gallery. Alenuts.com is home of the Brutus Ten, has a youtube video. Once i heard plans were available I looked but Lonnie Mac did a spread in the BYO magazine (Nov 2007 issue). I ordered this back issue in Dec 2008. In it are his plans but I had to modify it in order to meet my pay scale. After all the parts,kegs, gadgetry. I have about $1500 in it. The cost goes up when you start building and desire something new to add. I kept the cost down by going with 2x2x1/8 steel, podwercoating it, STC gas valves, and becoming friends with my neighborhood metal salvage yard man. I saved 120 bucks by buying a heat exchanger on ebay and not blichmann ($195), plus my ports are on the front vice front and back. Once you start the project you will see how easy it really is. I actually want to build another one. I brewed my second batch and it was easy,easy. Once you figure the brewing sequence, its awesome. I love this system, lonnie Mac is a genius!

All this SS is turning me on. So i made a couple calls to some buddies of mine who work with a bunch of SS and they said they could make me a frame for dirt cheap. Im really thinking about making one of these Brutus Tens but i have no idea what they do (But they look awesome). Could anyone explain the process they go through?

USMC,
That rig lehr put out is primo. If you have access to stainless I wouldn't pass it up. You will need 4x 10' sticks of 2x2x1/8 square tubing. Look on you tube for "brutus ten" something to do with what nasa guys brew on. Lonnie MAc is the guy telling how to use it. Its pretty informative. I watched that video over and over to see how he brews. Also, alenuts.com.
Brotherhoodbrew.com has a brutus. Dig into his blog and you will find a cut list. Be aware that he used 1.5x1.5 tubing. Print out his cut list and modify it to your kettles and desires. Brotherhood brew has some great ideas. I took that cutlist to the steel guy and had them cut it, all for $110. Powdercoat another 100.
snake10

I used inch and a half square tube 1/8 wall.

Pat

Well that puts limits your stand to only handling dump trucks up to 35,000 lb GVW maximum. I'm surprised 3" x 4" rectangle or box material for those crude DIY street rod frames hasn't been mentioned not alone DOM.
PM of intrest sent Pat. Carl.

All this SS is turning me on. So i made a couple calls to some buddies of mine who work with a bunch of SS and they said they could make me a frame for dirt cheap. Im really thinking about making one of these Brutus Tens but i have no idea what they do (But they look awesome). Could anyone explain the process they go through?

there are a few videos of lonnie mac brewing on the brutus at this link: http://www.alenuts.com/Alenuts/videos.html

Back