Suggestions for a *bigger* beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Alrighty, since I have a lot of faith in the folks who frequent this site, I'm looking for suggestions, looking for a recipe for my third batch (and first that's not a kit).

I'm looking for something bigger, something a little higher-gravity that what I've been doing (a Boston-style ale and a Red Ale). I just had an American Strong Ale from Berkshire Brewing Company that I liked a lot, I thought it was very well-balanced but still had some kick to it. I'm not one to drink beer to get drunk, but this had a 7% APV and you couldn't tell at all. Looking for something that's full-bodied, got some sweetness but isn't afraid of the hops.

I don't even know for sure, I'm open to suggestions. Gotta be extract-based, of course, and I'm not quite ready to do a partial mash (hoping that I'll be ready for that step when it comes time for the fourth batch, got some equipment to build).

Really appreciate any recommendations you good folks might make..

My Stormy Night Porter fits the bill, except for the hops, and is quite straightforward. I don't have my brew book here right now, but can certainly post the recipe tomorrow.

My version of it had OG = 1.064, FG = 1.024, so lots of nice body plus some residual sweetness, and alcohol approx. 5.5%...
It's fantastic too, in my opinion. :mug:

I would think that a Imperial IPA or a Belgian Strong Ale would fit your bill. They run upwards of 1.070 or so but remember that large beers take additional time to be at their best. Search the Northern Brewer kits and they list out the ingredients for their stong ales in extracts.

Anyone have a good recipe for a Belgian Stong Ale or an Imperial IPA? I'll make a porter at some point, but I tend to not be as big a fan of porters as some others. That'll be down the line a bit.

Here is a real easy Belgian Strong Ale recipe that turned out great for me:

STRONG GOLDEN ALE

Fermentables
8lb. Muntons Extra Light DME
2lb. Belgian Candy Sugar

Hops
Bittering 1-3/4 oz Styrian (pellets)
Flavoring 1 oz Styrian (pellets)
Aroma 1 oz Saaz (plugs)

Spices:
1 gm Paradise seeds

Yeast
Wyeast 1388 - Belgian Strong Ale

Original Gravity: 1.084 (measured)
Final Gravity: 1.009 (measured)

Uhm... "paradise seeds"?

Never heard of those... and when I google, well, let's just say that if the IT department is monitoring these kinds of things, I might be providing a little bit of pee to the authorities.

Seriously, I've never heard of paradise seeds. What are they, and where would I acquire them?

I get them from my local homebrew store, but here's a place online:

http://webtrolley.org/mivastore/mer...tore_Code=BaderBrewandWine&Category_Code=1028

"Paradise Seeds, 2 grams"
Price: $0.99
Quantity in Basket: none

"Also called "Grains of paradise," "Guinea grains" and "Melegueta pepper," these small seeds look like cardamom but have a character all thier own. The spice is native to West Africa and during medieval times was used to flavor food. It has also been used as a pepper substitute. While it does have a peppery zing, it also has notes of citrus and an "earthy" pine aroma."

Back