South Dakota Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah and you guys forget that Sioux Falls has a very strong Eastside/Westside rivalry as well. Ask anyone.

I feel out numbered here. we got Reptile Gardens, Mount Rushmore, Deadwood, The Black Hills, Bear Country, and Sitting Bull Caves. y'all got sunflowers and wind! suck on that, you east river buttholes! woohhoooo!

When the hell did Windom get Mount Rushmore? I mean... the logistics of that is just staggering.

I did once visit Mt. Meat Packing plant in Windom though, quite the attraction.

Yeah and you guys forget that Sioux Falls has a very strong Eastside/Westside rivalry as well. Ask anyone.

Back in the day there were only 2 public high schools, Lincoln (east half) and Washington (west). The rivalry between the two was pretty fierce. Maybe the east-west thing took off from that.

Anyone in Sioux Falls want a SP10 Bayou Classic Burner?
New in box, never opened, purchased about 2 years ago.
Free to a good home..
I purchased a commercial induction cooktop at the same time..

IMG_20140529_131329_583.jpg

Anyone in Sioux Falls want a SP10 Bayou Classic Burner?
New in box, never opened, purchased about 2 years ago.
Free to a good home..
I purchased a commercial induction cooktop at the same time..

IMG_20140529_131329_583.jpg

Are you serious? I'd take that in a heartbeat. Wow.

When the hell did Windom get Mount Rushmore? I mean... the logistics of that is just staggering.

I did once visit Mt. Meat Packing plant in Windom though, quite the attraction.

it's getting to be the "aroma" season for Mt. Meat Packing Plant here! it's almost as wonderful as the the one Rapid City had! which did not smell good when it burned down, by the way.

Wow... i ventured over to the west side today and turns out there are some cool people over there. Can't thank you enough for the burner and beers.... huge upgrade for me.

I did leave with an extreme case of brewery envy though. Thanks again man!

Wow... i ventured over to the west side today and turns out there are some cool people over there. Can't thank you enough for the burner and beers.... huge upgrade for me.

I did leave with an extreme case of brewery envy though. Thanks again man!

Fantastic Taste...
The "Citra" really stands out..
Carb is not bad
Nice Job..

Anyone brewing this weekend?

I've got a keg of MO/Amarillo SMaSH that my friends might get to try if I'm feeling generous. We're having a little get together on Saturday for "Cinco de Mayo" (we do it every year).

Going to try and put my new burner and kettle to work, but not sure if it's going to happen or not yet. Going to be a great weekend for it though.

Yeah... I'm boiling in my new kettle for the oxide layer but don't know if I'll actually brew or not. At least I'll get to try out the new burner. I need to make more beer real soon though.

Sioux falls peeps...anyone get there stuff at steins and vines? If not where do you go?

Actually want to try them out this weekend... I usually get all my stuff from Taylor's Pantry. Their beer prices are high, but the brewing stuff seems to be about right.

I called the guy up @ Steins and Vines and he was pretty cool. Said they do AG brews on Saturday once in a while and they will mill your grains if you buy them there (unlike Taylor's).

No idea on pricing/selection. You been in there?

Been into both. Really depends on what you are looking for. Taylor's has more selection of grains, and they seem to be fresher since I think they move more volume. Steins and vines will be cheaper on select items, but pretty much a wash on most things.

I prefer steins and veins by far. I've been to both and honestly didn't even know Taylors had grains. But at steins and veins the owner Russ is really cool and super smart. And as far as prices they seem normal.

I don't really have any issues with Taylor's pantry, but there is really only one guy there that is worth talking to about brewing. The rest are just hipster gas station clerks.

However, I'm not one of these guys that needs to bore the LHBS guy with my recipe or what I'm brewing or whatever, so it's not really that important.

I'll give it a shot over @ Steins and Vines for my next purchase.

Yea I think I know who your talking about at Taylor's pantry. Yes definitely check out Stein's. Hes always giving discounts on products or throwing in free things. I got grain bags free last time I was there and a rubber stop for my glass carboy. Just little things but its nice for the thought.

Russ is pretty great. Always willing to shoot the **** about ANYTHING beer related. Keep pushing him for a hard root beer too.

Russ is pretty great. Always willing to shoot the **** about ANYTHING beer related. Keep pushing him for a hard root beer too.

"Pssst. Hey man, I heard you've got some o' dat hard root beer..."

"Where did you hear that?"

"The internet."

:D

Anyone heard anything about being able to brew at Gandy Dancer? Reggie @ Booze boys mentioned that there may be brew days over there, but I had never heard of it.

Just curious really, I think he may have heard wrong but, maybe someone knows...

Anyone brewing this weekend? Going to be hotter than a mother out there.

So, made the "trip" over to Steins and Vines on Wednesday.

Owner seems pretty cool/knowledgeable, but it wasn't without a small gripe.

I bought 1 oz of EKG pellets... from what I can tell, these were repackaged by him from a bulk package or something. I'm not sure when they were packaged or what the procedure was, but I almost didn't buy them. So, now I'm a little worried about the freshness of these and how they were stored. It's a little baggie that is hot sealed on both sides but is not vacuum sealed.

Also, no AA% on the label! I didn't even notice until this morning.

I'm hoping he can tell me when I call him up, otherwise, I might just go get a factory sealed bag elsewhere.

Yea I've bought those from him before too. But after opening smelt good still and didn't notice any weird flavor from them? But yes little scketchy I just stay away from those ones lol

Yea I've bought those from him before too. But after opening smelt good still and didn't notice any weird flavor from them? But yes little scketchy I just stay away from those ones lol

Yeah, just kind of kicking myself for not passing on those. Hopefully he can tell me what the exact AA% was instead of the range that is offered on the hopunion site. They are listed as 4-6%, in a 60 minute boil, that could be the difference of ~4 IBU, which is quite a bit considering my next brew only targets ~17.

My LHBS does that too, but they use metal-film bags (shiny, silvery looking), as those are less permeable to air. What kind of bags did your place use? My shop doesn't vacuum pack them, and they also put their own labels on them, showing a range of AA, which is annoying. They must get hops from different suppliers and use the range to cover all of them.

My LHBS does that too, but they use metal-film bags (shiny, silvery looking), as those are less permeable to air. What kind of bags did your place use? My shop doesn't vacuum pack them, and they also put their own labels on them, showing a range of AA, which is annoying. They must get hops from different suppliers and use the range to cover all of them.

What he said... it's like a plastic baggy heat sealed on both sides. I don't think I'll buy those again. Beer's in the fermenter now, so no turning back.

But yeah, a range would not cut it for me... I'd have to return them. Especially on brews that are mildly hopped.

Back