hops pole trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengerman

Reaction score
I'm in a rental, so I'm looking to build a minimal trellis at a minimal cost.
My thought is basically a single 4x4 post (I only have 2 plants right now)
I've seen similar builds, but I'm wondering how deep people are burying the post for best stability. I'm only hoping for 12 to 16 of height, and I'm planning on sinking the post in concrete.

I buried a 3' mailbox sleeve and every year slide the 16ft 4x4 into it. I didn't use any concrete, just tamped the dirt as I filled in the sleeve.

pic link

Got a post hole digger, tomorrow its supposed to be nice, so I'll be installing the pole then. I'm going to go for 3 feet deep sunk in concrete. I hope I can reach the top without buying a new ladder

Talked to the guy at the hardware store, he told me about the collar method of anchoring posts, so I'll do that and post a writeup as I do. Its totally over-engineering, but that's my specialty

Got a post hole digger, tomorrow its supposed to be nice, so I'll be installing the pole then. I'm going to go for 3 feet deep sunk in concrete. I hope I can reach the top without buying a new ladder

Consensus says to not pour concrete around the post. It will absorb all of the moisture from the concrete and cause rot. It will also be a PITA to remove it if that becomes necessary. Just tamp with the native soil.

Good idea with the mailbox post sleeve. I might give that a try after this year. I went a little crazy with a 23' bamboo pole, way taller than necessary, with a hard ring that I can raise and lower with 2 pulleys at the top. I originally started with 3 plants, 1 of which never sprouted and I only 1 that really did well in year one. The cascade hops are now in their 2nd year and are looking good.

ForumRunner_20120415_135659.jpg

ForumRunner_20120415_142205.jpg

ForumRunner_20120415_142223.jpg

ForumRunner_20120415_142256.jpg

ForumRunner_20120415_142327.jpg

Latest posts

Back