Early Birthday Present!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost

Reaction score
So I went to the LHBS today to pickup the stuff for a batch and found a complete kegging setup w/2 ball lock cornys waiting on me courtesy of my GF! My birthday isn't for another month but she couldn't wait. Well, I didn't get to brew today since I was busy tinkering with the new setup.. damn, I'm so excited! I need to marry that girl! She even got me all the fixins for a cherry wheat. Anyhow, I don't really have any questions about it yet (I'm sure I will) I just wanted to share my excitment with y'all. :D

No sister though you wouldn't be the first to ask.

I actually do have a question.. the kegs came pressurized and hold pressure perfectly.. they also came with new gaskets but the guys at the shop didn't think I needed to replace them since the kegs hold pressure. I don't want my first batch tasting like pepsi (from the smell of it that's what was in there previously). Should I soak the kegs with pbw and run that through the lines or do I need to dismantle them? If I do dismantle them then should I replace the gaskets?

I know rootbeer is supposed to be hard to get rid of, how about Pepsi?

I would dismantle them and replace all of the o-rings. Probobly cost you about $5 each one, so It's well worth it. There are five orings in total. the big one around the cover, the two on the posts/locks and two under the posts where the tube go down (just unscrew the posts).

As for the Pepsi.....Two of the three soda kegs I have had Coke in them and that came out without any problems....1)I left them pressurized until I cleaned them so the Coke wouldn't dry out and 2) Lots of hot water to get rid of everything....Plus some oxy-clean....BUT NOT BLEACH....Stainless doesn't like that stuff.

IGOR

Back