White spots and cob web

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D*Bo

Reaction score
I planted my rhizomes Sat. and on one of them I noticed white spots, a couple others there was something similar to cob web on them.
I'm not sure if this could be some type of infection or parasite. I don't want to risk the other plants.

Any ideas?

I had some white fuzz on mine and planted them. Later, 2 of them grew white fuzz on the soil around the area the hops were planted. The stems got mushy and some sprouts died, while others did not. I moved the pots outdoors, and the fuzz started to disappear. Then the bines died from underwatering. I managed to get nearly all of them back though. They just seem to keep on growing!

I'd plant them and be careful not to over water them. Give them good sunlight and hope for the best.

I will mention that Freshops sent 2 more rhizomes to replace the ones that were growing fuzz. I think I only have 1 plant not growing at this time. One of the replacement rhizomes has not broken ground yet. I'm holding on to hope for it. The rest are growing at variuos rates, but not going gangbusters. I hope the additional sunlight kicks them in. I had to move them indoors for a cold snap last week.

Here are the white spots I'm talking about.
IMG_0673.jpg

I have two ideas about the picture. 1) Those white spots are areas where new root growth will occur or 2) Non-beneficial fungal growth.

The picture does not show me enough to be more specific. But because of your previous experience I would lean towards a fungal infection.

:tank:

Don't worry about it, that is a nice fat chunk of Rhizome that is well along. It should be perfectly fine. There are things in your soil that should consume it, if it is a surface mold.

That looks like a mold that some other people have been seeing. Freshops recommended washing the rhizomes off with a bleach solution.

You can do a quick 20-30 second hydrogen peroxide dip. Buy a new bottle ($1) at the grocer/pharmacy and submerge the rhizome for 20-30 seconds. It does the same thing as bleach but is much safer, and a quick rinse in water is all that's needed to wash the peroxide off.

That will kill any surface fungus/parasites and won't damage the rhizome.

After getting my hops in the mail, mine looked the same. Those are little spots where roots are trying to form.

Latest posts

Back