My first attempt with rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Karr

Reaction score
I went to TastyBrew.com to calculate a rye recipe. They don't have a rye in the BJCP style database.

Tell me if this sounds reasonable/OK, please.

7 lbs 2-row
1 lb 6-row
1 lb rye, whole unmalted raw grain
.5 lb flaked rye, unmalted and raw
.5 lb crystal 10L

.25 oz Centennial pellet hop, 45 min boil
.75 oz Amarillo whole hop, 60 min boil
.25 oz Chinook pellet hop, 10 min boil

TastyBrew calculations read:
OG 1.054
FG 1.014
IBU 36
SRM 5
ABV 5.2

five gallon batch, 7.5 gallons in the kettle after sparging

Ideas/thoughts/refinements/smart remarks?

Yes, I'm sure. The rye I'm using is just whole grain rye kernels from a health food store. I believe the actual variety is Tetrapescus rye, just like the kind ground for flour.

From Brewing Techniques:

Whole rye berries can be used, but they must be cracked first and then cooked in a cereal cooker for gelatinization. The cereal should be heated and stirred until it stops thickening (an indication that most of the starches have been exploded) and then added to the mash. Using this several-step process not only adds preparation time to the brewing process, but, compared to using rye flakes, whole-grain rye tends to increase runoff and sparge times because the cracked rye is quite sticky and doesn't dissolve in solution as readily as commercially available rye flakes.

So, while unmalted rye can be used, it will probably require precooking. I've only ever used malted rye.

I used malted rye in the one Roggenbier I have made (and it rocked) next time I will use rolled or flaked just to taste the difference.

Unmalted whole grain is a new one on me, but you'll end up with beer and it will be unlike any other. I say brew it. I would add 1/8 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper and maybe 1/2 teaspoon of fresh grapefruit zest at flameout. It'll go great with BBQ.

Back