Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewsBrew

Reaction score
Hi All,

I brewed an extract IPA this weekend. I used The White labs Burton Ale yeast. They recommend 68-73 optimum fermenting temp for this yeast. I've never used this yeast before so I just went with it. I have a small space heater in the room I keep my brew in and set it to about 70. Well, walked in room yesterday and its 74 in there. What can I expect from fermenting above the recommended temp?

Thanks

Well, room temperature isn't really that important- it's the temperature of the fermenting wort that should be within those guidelines. Do you have a stick on thermometer on the fermenter? An aquarium stick on thermometer works well.

Sometimes the temperature of the fermenting wort is as much as 8 degrees higher than room temperature, because the fermentation itself puts out some heat. Still, 74 isn't so bad. You should be ok.

I always try to stay at the bottom range of the temperature guidelines, myself. It seems to be a little easier to keep it in the desired range and prevent any heat-related off-flavors.

Back