Proper Beer Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
HI all,

After a beer is bottled (and carbed) what is the best way to store it? Should I put as many as possible in the fridge, keep them in the cool basement?

What are your thoughts?

Keeping them in the basement until they need to be cooled for drinking works for me. In fact, I'll just drink them at basement temperature.

One interesting thing I noticed about how beers condition:
I'm going with a schedule that's two weeks of carbing at fermenting temp, then down in the basement (50 degrees) for further conditioning and storage. After a week in the basement (three weeks after bottling), I put a few beers from my last batch in the fridge to take to a party. I didn't use a secondary with this beer and it was still pretty cloudy when it was bottled. As expected, after going in the fridge they developed a fair amount of chill haze. One of the beers stayed in the fridge for a couple more weeks, and did eventually clear up, for the most part. I grabbed some more beers that had spent those same two weeks in the basement and put them in the fridge as well. I was kinda surprised to see that the beers that had spent a longer time in the basement not only never developed chill haze, but remained clearer than the beer that had been in the fridge for those two weeks.

Chris

other than the chill haze difference.

how does that affect the taste? after the two weeks at room tempature for carbination, does beer condition better or worse in the fridge, at room tempature or in a cool place?

I have a big chest fridge, and would like to keep all of the beer in there after it is carbinated, rather then storing it somewhere else then adding it in as needed.

thanks,

You want a cool dark place. A stable temperature is more important then the absolute temperature. In other words an interior room that stays at 62F +/-1 degree is better then a room that is 50 at night but 65 during the day.

GT

To be honest, I can't say I noticed any appreciable difference, taste-wise, between the refrigerated beers, though my tastes might not be a discerning as some people's. However, I do believe I preferred the ones straight out of the basement, but that's me.

Chris

Beer stores best about the same way wine does except you stand the bottles up instead of lying them down.
Cool dark and still.
My basement storage room works pretty well. It is 60-62F in the winter and 66-68F in the summer.

Craig

CBBaron said:
Beer stores best about the same way wine does except you stand the bottles up instead of lying them down.
Cool dark and still.
My basement storage room works pretty well. It is 60-62F in the winter and 66-68F in the summer.

Craig

Better than in the fridge??

Back