Awesome Beer Facts!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerface00

Reaction score
I posted this on another forum but thought we could all put together one hell of a list!

So here are some cool beer facts from my website. I'd love to see people add to this so we can all learn some really wonderful things about our favorite past time!!

In Germany there is a beer ice cream in popsicle form. Its alcohol content is lower than that of classic beer.

The Code of Hammurabi of ancient Babylonia (c. 1750 B.C.) declared that a tradesman could be put to death for diluting beer.

In Medieval Europe, brewing and baking went together. Thus women were the first European brewers and were often called ale wives.

1810:Munich establishes Oktoberfest as an official celebration.

King Frederick the Great once banned coffee to bolster sagging beer sales.

In Babylon over 4000 years ago, it was customary for the bride\'s father to supply his new son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. As mead is a honey beer and their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the \'honey month\'– or what we know today as the \'honeymoon\'. In fact, Babylonians believed ifthe groom drank mead for an entire month, it enhanced the chances of his wife bearing a male heir.

In Bavaria, beer is legally defined as a staple food.

After consuming buckets of aul (or ale), the Vikings would head fearlessly into battle, often without armour or even shirts. In fact, 'berserk' means 'bareshirt' in Norse, and eventually took on the meaning of their wild battles.

The first US lager was brewed in 1840 by John Wagner, who had a small brewery inthe back of his house on St. John Street in Philadelphia. Wagner brought the first lager yeast to the United States from a brewery in Bavaria.

Historians report that during the Middle Ages, when monks were brewing their beer in their monasteries, each monk was allowed to drink 5 quarts of beer a day.

Legend has it that Gambrinus, god of beer, challenged the devil to produce a “winewithout grapes.” The historical origin of the concoction we know today can befound in 12th-century Belgium, although the Egyptians had already created fermented-grain beverages well before then.

The pursuit of beer changed the course of humanity forever in 5000 BC. Neolithicpeople abandoned their wandering lives for farming, to grow grain for brewing beer.

In 1116 BC, Chinese imperial edict stated that heaven required people to drink beer.

The Egyptian pyramids were built on beer. Stonecutters, slaves and public officials were paid in a type of beer called \'kash\' – which is where the word \'cash\'originated.

In English pubs, unruly customers were told to mind their own pints and quarts and settle down – and so began the phrase 'mind your P\'s and Q\'s'. (Another explanation is customers were being warned about the potency of the beer. At\'freehouses\' where people could make and sell their own beer, there was less control on the alcohol content.)

The familiar Scandinavian toast sköl derives from scole, the drinking bowl shaped like the upper half of a human skull. Originally, these bowls were fashioned from the actual skulls of enemy killed in battle.

Before thermometers were invented, brewers would dip a thumb into the mix to find the right temperature for adding yeast. Too cold and the yeast wouldn't grow; too hot and the yeast would die. This ancient practice is where we get the phrase'rule of thumb'.

Saint Arnold, a bishop born in 580, is considered the patron saint of beer. He encouraged people to drink beer instead of water during the Plague. Indeed, the Plague suddenly disappeared once his word spread (though some suggest because beer was boiled in the brewing process, it would have been safer than water,which had previously spread the infection.) When Saint Arnold died in 640, the citizens of his hometown carried his body from Remiremont to Metz for reburialin their church. On this journey, another miracle occurred – when the weary porters stopped to share their only mug of beer, they discovered the mug never ran dry.

The most expensive beer in the world? It's called “Tutankhamen” and is prepared according to the recipe recovered by a group of University of Cambridge archaeologists in Queen Nefertiti's Temple of the Sun in Egypt. It costs US $52 a bottle, and is produced in limited and numbered edition.

The pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock because they ran out of beer. Although they planned to continue down the east coast, the Mayflower's log explains the passengers 'were hasted ashore and made to drink water that the seamen might have the more beer'. On their arrival, the pilgrims immediately built a common house, which included a brewery.

In ancient times, monks who fasted or abstained from solid food subsisted on beer.

The music for 'The Star Spangled Banner' was derived from a British drinking songcalled 'Anacreon'.

Carlos V: This emperor was the first beer importer, and one of its most illustrious drinkers and aficionados. It's said that even in his retirement in Yuste, hekept a Flemish brewer in his reduced entourage.

Assyrian tablets from 2000 BC stated that Noah was carrying beer aboard the ark.

The United States two-dollar bill features three brewers: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Samuel Adams. In fact, George Washington installed a brewhouse on his grounds at Mount Vernon.

Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they used the whistle to get someservice. 'Wet your whistle' is the phrase inspired by this practice.

Beer wasn't sold in bottles until 1850. Beer lovers would visit their local tavern with a special bucket, have it filled and then begin the merry journey home.

Ale was brewed for centuries without hops. Before the 1400s, ale was flavoured with herbs such as rosemary and thyme. Yet the antiseptic quality of hops helped to preserve ale from spoiling and later became a vital part of its flavour.

In the Czech Republic, beeris cheaper than Coke. A half litre at the local pub costs just 30 cents (10.50CZK) while a half litre of Coke costs 85 cents (30 CZK). Beer is a little moreexpensive than club soda (which costs 29 cents, or 10 CZK, for a half litre).

A labeorphilist is a collector of beer bottles.

Cenosillicaphobia is the fear of an empty glass

A tegestologist is a collector of beer mats.

A flood of beer swept through the streets of St. Giles,England, on 17 October 1814. Caused by a rupture in a brewery tank containing3500 barrels of beer, the tidal wave killed nine people and demolished two houses.

Universities in Europe and America from the 1300s through the 1700s had in-house breweries to provide beer to the students. Harvard had its own brew house in 1674 and five beer halls, each burned down by rioting divinity students.

The first six-pack of beer was produced by the Pabst Brewery in the 1940s. The brewery conducted numerous studies, which found six cans were the ideal weight for the average housewife to carry home from the store.

Ancient Egyptians brewed beer in just three days, due to the hot climate. Served as a still fermenting cereal mash, they would drink it through straws from a communal bowl.

In eleventh-century England, a bride would distribute ale toher wedding guests in exchange for donations to the newlyweds. This brew, known as Bride Ale, is the origin of the word 'bridal'.

One method of checking a beer's quality is the way in which the foam adheres to the side of the glass after each sip. Beer connoisseurscall this “Brussels lace.”

By 3000 BC, the Egyptians were brewing at least six different types of beer.

1888: Citizens of Munich took to the streets and rioted after a beer price increase was announced.

In 1740, Admiral Vernon of the British fleet decided towater down the navy's rum. The unhappy sailors nicknamed the Admiral 'OldGrog', after his wool grogram coats. The term 'grog' soon began to mean the watered down drink itself.

Czechs drink the most beer in the world per capita – an average of 160 litres a year per person.

In olde England, town inns paid a government tax known as a'scot' for serving beer. Beer lovers who left town to drink at rural pubs were said to be drinking 'scot free'.

Root Beer was origionally called Root Tea, however the name was changed to Root Beer to get more people to take interest in it.

Beer recipes have been found on Babylonian clay tablets from over 6000 years ago.

Guinness sells an average of 7 million glasses a day.

The British Army supplied its men with a cash allowance for beer, considered a vital nutritional staple on long overseas missions. With this allowance of one penny, soldiers enjoyed six pints of ale every day.

1587: The first beer is brewed in the New World at Sir Walter Raleigh's colony in Virginia, but the colonists send requests to England for better beer

A beer a day... Beer was used to treat over 100 illnesses in Egypt, 1600 BC.

In the 13th century, King Wenceslas convinced the Pope to revoke an order banning the brewing of beer in Czech territories (no wonder he was known as (Good King Wenceslas).

In Egypt, two containers of beer were the minimum wage for a day's labour.

American beer is predominately made from rice. That is why it tastes so light compared to foriegn beers. This is purely an American invention to increase profits as they hoped a lighter beer would also draw women to purchase.

Beer was often served for breakfast in medieval England.

It was customary in the 13th century to baptize children with beer.

Those are some very interesting facts, but you might want to check your cop/paste job before you post next time. Therearealotofwordsthatruntogether.

My contribution:

The word for beer connoisseur is cerevisaphile.

Those are some very interesting facts, but you might want to check your cop/paste job before you post next time. Therearealotofwordsthatruntogether.

My contribution:

The word for beer connoisseur is cerevisaphile.

Thanks man from one cerevisaphile to another lol. It's fixed. That was weird.

In 1965, testing by the FDA and the Civil Defense Administration found that beer could also be used as potable water in the event of a neuclear emergency. Just don't expect it to taste the same. The bottles are slightly radioactive but that doesn't transfer to the beer inside.

Where did you get those? I question the validity of some and know that some are not correct.

The one about the two dollar bill containing three brewers..while TJ did have a brewery at Monticello, his wife was the brewer.

Definitely some cool useless knowledge in there, which I love.

Where did you get those? I question the validity of some and know that some are not correct.

The one about the two dollar bill containing three brewers..while TJ did have a brewery at Monticello, his wife was the brewer.

Definitely some cool useless knowledge in there, which I love.

They come from people on my site and me looking up different things. As far as TJ goes, his wife did oversee brewing operations , but TJ himself would brew too.

“I am lately become a brewer for family use, having had the benefit of instruction to one of my people by an English brewer of the first order,” Jefferson writes in a letter in 1815 to another brewer, Joseph Coppinger.

Fascinating...

Normally, I'd be willing to bet that about 10% of them are true... but since you found them on some random Internet page, maybe 15%.

"In eleventh-century England, a bride would distribute ale toher wedding guests in exchange for donations to the newlyweds. This brew, known as Bride Ale, is the origin of the word 'bridal'."

That's not true. A Bride Ale was the name of the feast, not the name for a beer.

Yeah, I've heard "the rule of thumb" being the thickness of the cane/switch you were allowed to use to beat your wife with. I always questioned the validity of that as well.

Good work. I'm calling shennanighans on several of those "facts" but i'll probably repeat them anyway.

I was going to start disputing the ones I saw but just decided not to. Yea those are FAR from facts...

Drinking beer through long,curved wooden straws throught the fermented mash is Babaloinian. The Egyptians used partly baked barley cakes pressed down into jars of water...sometimes. They also did about the same with the grains. But pouring of serving sized pitchers of beer for the table.
Wine was more expensive,& even to Pharoah,beer on the table was far more common. Even children would be given a bowl of beer before heading to school or whatever. The coolest thing I ever saw was these little clay tablets about the size of a cig pack denoting how many jars/jugs of beer the person had earned up to that point. Kinda like the world's 1st debit card in Egypt.
And as for those monks,it turned out well when some complained to the pope that the German monks shouldn't be drinking there Dark,heavy beers during Lent. The pope then wrote them to send him a barrel to sample to see what the fuss was over there "liquid bread".
Well...by yht time that beer got to the pope,the sun & shaking around pretty much spoiled it. But the pope,thinking this was how it tasted to them,thought of it as chastizing themselves & gave the ok to continue the practice. Luck,or devine intervention?

Back