use of ginger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummasan

Reaction score
A recipe I want to follow calls for .25 oz of candied ginger but I don't want to spend $8 for a small bottle at the grocery store

I plan to use 1 oz of fresh grated ginger to add to the last 15-20 minutes of the boil

Has anyone else substituted fresh ginger for candied ginger in a recipe?

Any thoughts about the use of fresh ginger in general? Does 1 oz sound like too much?

I'm making a summer beer - will use some coriander and turbinado sugar as well - so I want a hint of the ginger

Go to an Asian market. Candied ginger is about $1.25 for an ounce and a half at the one I shop at. You get a big ass bag of coriander there for a dollar too!. They also have candi sugar for cheap and about any other sugar you could imagine.

I've put up to 3.5 oz of fresh ginger in beer and it's been yummy (but strong). .25 oz of fresh will do almost nothing. Use the 1oz you were planning on.

Or like so many things in the world, you can just make your own. For about the price of a ginger root and a couple cups of sugar...

That's a great link, saved, thanks.

Though I'm not sure how much sense that'd make for brewing--the only reason to use candied ginger is to save time and energy. Rather than making candied stuff to brew with, I'd just use the fresh directly (and add a bit of sugar if you think there's enough being used to make a difference).

Well, I may be speaking directly out of my arse here, but when I've added ginger to my brews, the results have tended to come out more clear. I don't know if there's a kind of ionization involved with ginger... like irish moss, that collects break material in the boil. But if that's the case, then I'd toss it into the last 15 min. of the boil. If not... then never mind.

Back