Did iI technically make cider or cyser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGibb

Reaction score
I recently put a batch of cider in my Mr. Beer, and someone else I was talking with in another thread called my beverage a cyser. Seeing as the must is 2 gal cider and 2 pounds honey, is this a cider or cyser, or is there no real distinction?

Additionally, with that and an OG of 1.112 at 76 degrees, I figure this should rough out at around 10% abv. What do you think?

Thanks!

Actually by "definition" it is a cyser, however, a "real mead" requires more honey to gallon ratio so I would just say it is a honey cider instead of a cyser. Either that or a honey apple wine.

I think your must has to have a minimum of 51% of it sugars from honey in order to technically be called "cyser." That being said, it doesn't really matter, you can call it cyser, cider or Fred if you want to, most people wouldn't know what you meant if you said the word "cyser." You should really get the intrigue going by making a melomel, or even that super exotic sounding concoction (light sarcasm) metheglyn! <LOL>
Regards, GF.

Back