New keg, clean out the lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VictimKBrew

Reaction score
My wife just finished her keg of cider. I need to use those hoses now for my homebrew IPA. Do I need to clean it out first or just hook up the Corny keg and the first glass may have some cider residue?

I've read that most people clean out their lines after 3 kegs or so.

I usually take the empty keg and tear it down and clear it. When it has oxyclean in it, I'll hook it up and run the oxyclean through the lines and then the same with starsan. I've been known to "cheat" and do what your asking.....but I try not to make a habit of it.

My wife just finished her keg of cider. I need to use those hoses now for my homebrew IPA. Do I need to clean it out first or just hook up the Corny keg and the first glass may have some cider residue?

I've read that most people clean out their lines after 3 kegs or so.

I usually rinse out my kegs before I refill them with starsan (and water) and hook it up and run a bit of it through the line. I know Starsan will probably discolor the hose eventually, but I figure by the time this discolors the line, it's time to replace it anyways.

But what if its a 1/6 keg from the store and not a Corney. Can I still take that apart? I was under the assumption that I just return that to the place I got it (empty of course).

When you fill an empty keg with starsan, you just use like a gallon or so? Then hook it up to the gas, flip the handle, and run it through?

Never dealt with commercial kegs.

I usually use a couple gallons of water and a few drops of Starsan in my corny kegs. Put the lid on and shake it up a bit, run some through the lines, then dump the keg and fill it with new beer, hook it back up.

That's my MO.

If its a commercial keg, just return it.......unless you plan on keeping it and using it again.......

as for your lines, if you are going to be using them again soon, you could just hook um up, first pint might be a lil off...........if you dont have an empy corny around to put sani in and run thru the lines, just get to it next time.......

switched over from an IPA to a Scotch Ale last night on the kegerator and jsut ran half a pint out till the scotch was running thru.........haven't had any issues at all........

Back