Why does beer taste so good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because its the only thing that keeps us men sane in this crazy world.

Beer is the greatest thing put on this earth and tastes good because of the hard work put into it. Entwining water with malts, hops, and with the help of yeast constitutes a never-ending quest to taste beer in all its subtleties, characteristics, and refreshing ones palette with something that is beyond average.

I love beer and I shall brew and drink until my stint on this world comes to a close.

Let's face it, beer is liquid bread -the hydraulic sandwich- and bread is one of the oldest foods man has prepared (not hunted) and dates back to before the pyramids were built. Beer has been (both on purpose and accidentally) brewed for thousands of years, and it's no mystery why. Carbohydrates, protein, carbonation, B-vitamins, and sugars, all topped off with some alcohol warmth and the divine feeling to accompany that, well, what better drink hath the?

It's why we're all here, right? :mug:

TB

evolutionary pressure. over a period of thousands of years, societies that made beer thrived while those that didn't faded. we are designed to like it.

I don't know but I doubt it would be as popular without the intoxicating affects. Something about the relationship 'helps the medicine go down'.

I remember as an early teen, I hated the taste of beer and couldn't figure out why dad liked it so much.

Which reminds me of the time I had surgery on my throat. In the hospital they had me on liquid Vicodin as I couldn't swallow pills. That stuff was the most foul tasting syrup that you could imagine. YUCK YUCK YUCK, but I had to take 4 shots per day.

The doctor sent me home with 2 large bottles of the stuff and by the second day, I was licking the 'shot' glass clean of that nectar of the Gods syrup, savoring every last bit as if it were gold.

Whew, glad this isn't a public forum...........

evolutionary pressure. over a period of thousands of years, societies that made beer thrived while those that didn't faded. we are designed to like it.

That is one of the more widely accepted theories. Being a biologist I believe it is pretty sound.

That is one of the more widely accepted theories. Being a biologist I believe it is pretty sound.

So you think the tribes/groups/cultures who thrived did so because they drank beer? What link(s) is(are) there to proof of that? What survival effect does beer have that the absence of it won't provide? Happiness??

Being a skeptic engineer, I'm not so sure that's sound...

TB

EDIT: The only health related effect I've heard of is during times of foul water supply when it was safer to drink beer than the water.

Beer taste good because it IS.

"I drink beer therefore I am happy. I Brew my own, now I have Peace. I share, now I have Joy. Whould you like these too... Pffft, here try this lets talk"
-CAR

So you think the tribes/groups/cultures who thrived did so because they drank beer? What link(s) is(are) there to proof of that? What survival effect does beer have that the absence of it won't provide? Happiness??

Being a skeptic engineer, I'm not so sure that's sound...

TB

EDIT: The only health related effect I've heard of is during times of foul water supply when it was safer to drink beer than the water.

The fresh water supply fact is true. But the discovery and utilization of beer created the need for agriculture... this, in turn, created civilization as humans shifted from being nomads to settling down. The tribes that didn't have beer not only had less clean water but also did not reap the benefits of societal gains including religion (morals/law), industry (trade/economy), and the fact that the constant strive for better brewing techniques and better end-product created scientific advances.

I think it's a caveman thing....for the longest time it was really the safest thing to drink so we evolved a taste for it.

The fresh water supply fact is true. But the discovery and utilization of beer created the need for agriculture... this, in turn, created civilization as humans shifted from being nomads to settling down. The tribes that didn't have beer not only had less clean water but also did not reap the benefits of societal gains including religion (morals/law), industry (trade/economy), and the fact that the constant strive for better brewing techniques and better end-product created scientific advances.

Those scientific advances brought us kegs and bars, which brought us procreation for recreation. And we all know that leads too beer goggles and pregnant fat chicks. And that leads to population explosion meaning the more successful beer drinking society with bigger beer goggles and higher birth rates simply surpasses any other society. Let's hear it for beer goggles!:rockin:

Those scientific advances brought us kegs and bars, which brought us procreation for recreation. And we all know that leads too beer goggles and pregnant fat chicks. And that leads to population explosion meaning the more successful beer drinking society with bigger beer goggles and higher birth rates simply surpasses any other society. Let's hear it for beer goggles!:rockin:

But that leads to an ugly fat society, no?? :drunk:

TB

Um, and what do we have? I know I'm way over what I weighed in the Navy. Years of drinking beer and countless hours driving a train, I'm half again the man I used to be.

Yeah, thirteen years standing in front of a lathe for ten hours a day have certainly added plenty of padding to my perfectly formed six pack!

Hey dude, that's what I was doing at about your age. We did ten hour shifts on turrets. Dam good pay, but a pain in the arse.:)

Yeah, the pay is definitely good for MT. Wearing my body out though...:(

So, I've been out of homebrew for a week or so now. The pipeline's dry, and I've been reduced to buying crap beer from the store. I ask my son to 'grab one from the fridge' on his way back. "Dad, I thought you didn't like this stuff!" "I don't, it's beer though so, it tastes good..."

Back