Alternative Grain Beer Gluten Free Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lcasanova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
N/A
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
5.9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 70 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 60 degrees
Additional Fermentation
N/A
Tasting Notes
Very, very bitter but it goes so well with sorghum and the aroma is fantastic!
Ingredients:
------------

9 lbs Sorghum Syrup (15 min)
2 lbs Brown Rice Syrup (15 min)
2.50 oz Warrior, pellet 16.8% (90 min)
.50 oz Chinook, pellet 11.4% (90 min)
1.0 oz Simcoe, pellet 12.2% (45 min)
1.0 oz Columbus, pellet 14.2% (30 min)
2.25 oz Centennial, pellet 8.3% (flameout)
1.0 oz Simcoe, pellet 12.2% (flameout)
1 tsp irish moss (10 min)
1 tsp yeast nutrient (10 min)
12.0 oz corn sugar (90 min)
1 pkg Nottingham

Do 3 dry hop additions for 1 week each.

Dry hopping:
1.25 oz Columbus, pellet 14.2%
1.25 oz Simcoe, pellet 12.2%
1.25 oz Centennial, pellet 8.3%

I mixed all of these together into a bag and pulled out 1.25 oz of the blend each week for dry hopping. I just added these to the carboy without removing the previous hops.

Carbed with 4.1 oz corn sugar

I had trouble getting the hops to sink after the 3rd and final dry hop addition. I had to use gelatin and cold crash it to get them to sink and it greatly clarified the beer. Out of the 5 gallons that made it to secondary I probably lost about 1.5 gallons to trub and gelatin at the bottom.

This was modeled after a Pliny clone, having never tasted Pliny I have no idea if I am close but I know this is one damn good beer.

The aroma is pineapply, citrusy and just overall fantastic.

I'm going to have to give this a shot and some other GF recipes. My wife is starting to believe she has a problem with gluten now. So I will get the necessary ingredients and do up a batch just to see if it makes a difference for her. She loved the Pliney clone from AHS so maybe this will please.

I'm going to have to give this a shot also. My step-mom and also one of my good friends are both allergic to gluten.

I'm going to have to give this a shot and some other GF recipes. My wife is starting to believe she has a problem with gluten now.

SWMBO has arrived at the same conclusion last weekend...weird.

Great looking recipe though I may have to tone it down for my wife...likes IPAs, just not tons of hops (her other problem).

SWMBO has arrived at the same conclusion last weekend...weird.

Great looking recipe though I may have to tone it down for my wife...likes IPAs, just not tons of hops (her other problem).

Cut back on the bittering and don't dry hop...that'll give you a basic pale ale...although this one was a little strong so maybe cut back on the fermentables

I want to do this for a friend that cannot have gluten. She is not a big IIPA fan so I am thinking more of an APA. Perhaps a GF version of Yoopers House Pale. I have #7 of Sorghum and #4 of Brown Rice Syrup to play with. What do you suggest for good mix of fermentables. I also have a bag of Maltodextrine. That helps with Head retention correct? If so when do I add it? If I wanted to toast some grains for color what would your suggestion be to get a nice amber color.

Here is the link to the non gf version https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/da-yoopers-house-pale-ale-100304/

TIA,
Zman

I want to do this for a friend that cannot have gluten. She is not a big IIPA fan so I am thinking more of an APA. Perhaps a GF version of Yoopers House Pale. I have #7 of Sorghum and #4 of Brown Rice Syrup to play with. What do you suggest for good mix of fermentables. I also have a bag of Maltodextrine. That helps with Head retention correct? If so when do I add it? If I wanted to toast some grains for color what would your suggestion be to get a nice amber color.

Here is the link to the non gf version https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/da-yoopers-house-pale-ale-100304/

TIA,
Zman

Yooper's is pretty similar to the GF Pale I made awhile ago. Switch out my S-04 for S-05 and add a cascade dry hop. I would also use more Brown Rice Syrup and less Sorghum if I were to do it again, but even as is it turned out really well.

I will let others comment on coloring, as I have not done grain roasting. I would use an amber belgian candi sugar to darken it a bit if desired.

Yooper's is pretty similar to the GF Pale I made awhile ago. Switch out my S-04 for S-05 and add a cascade dry hop. I would also use more Brown Rice Syrup and less Sorghum if I were to do it again, but even as is it turned out really well.

I will let others comment on coloring, as I have not done grain roasting. I would use an amber belgian candi sugar to darken it a bit if desired.

well I have #7 of Sorghum and #4 of Brown Rice to play with. What would you suggest for a malt bill? I am not going to do this until next week after the GABF so EVERYONE please feel free to submit your comments.

Thanks,

Z

well I have #7 of Sorghum and #4 of Brown Rice to play with. What would you suggest for a malt bill? I am not going to do this until next week after the GABF so EVERYONE please feel free to submit your comments.

Thanks,

Z

4lb Brown Rice, 4lb Sorghum.

+1 or the 4:4 mix.

For roasting grains you really need a 2 week lead time for that. You want to allow them to off gas before using them but if you didn't...I don't really know what the effect would be. When I don't have that 2 weeks I'll use a candi sugar or molasses for color.

Thanks for the ideas. A few more ?'s.

I am assuming that you brew this in typical extract fashion, bring 2.5gal water to a boil add #4 sorghum and #4 Brown Rice Syup and boil for an hour?

I do AG typically and use tap water. When I did extract batches I always used bottled water. What do you guys generally do?

For Color some have mentioned Amber Belgian Candy Sugar. I bought some Amber Agave Nectar. http://ohgave.com/. I want to try and get the color from it and thought this might be a good idea to try out. I also have some Molasses. I was thinking about adding 8 oz maybe @ 5 min left in the boil.

Thoughts?

I brewed this as a partial boil but the sorghum syrup and the brown rice syrup weren't added until the last 15 minutes of the boil. For water I alternate between store bought spring water and filtered tap water. I think that a candi sugar would fit nicely here, but swap it out for another fermentable or reduce one- the ABV on this is already 7% (at least mine was). On molasses- I thought this was GREAT in my brown ale but I don't know if I'd use it in this beer- but I haven't tried it so I don't know. I used 8 oz. in my brown ale and it added a LOT of color and, in my opinion, a lot of subtle flavor.

I brewed this as a partial boil but the sorghum syrup and the brown rice syrup weren't added until the last 15 minutes of the boil. [QUOTE=

Ok now I am confused. You are adding the sorghum syrup and the brown rice syrup @15? The recipe mentions the first hop addition @90. If I am adding the syrups @ 15 left in the boil what is boiling for 90min?

If you have an AG setup, just do a full boil. Full Boil is always > Partial boil. Probably the #1 way to improve a beer.

If you have an AG setup, just do a full boil. Full Boil is always > Partial boil. Probably the #1 way to improve a beer.

Sounds interesting. I have never done a full boil with extract so please correct me if I am wrong. I am assuming that I just calculate what I am going to boil off in a 90min boil in my 42qt kettle (1.5gal) so I bring 6.5g to a boil, remove from flame, add my fermentables, bring it back to a boil and hop accordingly?

Sounds interesting. I have never done a full boil with extract so please correct me if I am wrong. I am assuming that I just calculate what I am going to boil off in a 90min boil in my 42qt kettle (1.5gal) so I bring 6.5g to a boil, remove from flame, add my fermentables, bring it back to a boil and hop accordingly?

It is slightly less since the extract adds some significant volume. There is probably a way to calculate, but I choose just to maintain my ignorance and boil for a few minutes before I start the hopping. I do not do late extract additions since I like to imitate my AG process wherever possible and I dont worry about color (which is the other plus of adding extract late, you get a lighter colored beer).

Otherwise, you are correct.

It is slightly less since the extract adds some significant volume. There is probably a way to calculate, but I choose just to maintain my ignorance and boil for a few minutes before I start the hopping. I do not do late extract additions since I like to imitate my AG process wherever possible and I dont worry about color (which is the other plus of adding extract late, you get a lighter colored beer).

Otherwise, you are correct.

What is your standard water volume for a 5g full boil extract batch? I am going to use my banjo burner and polarware kettle to boil in

What is your standard water volume for a 5g full boil extract batch? I am going to use my banjo burner and polarware kettle to boil in

I use 6gal. It is too much for me as I boil off about a gallon. 5.75gal is probably about right with around 8lbs of syrups for me.

I've been trying to figure that out too, I'll be doing a full boil this weekend (my first one) and the pumpkin and syrups should add quite some volume.

I would add the pumpkin into the fermenter, should make things easier and make the pumpkin flavor stronger.

I was checking out the Breiss Hopy to be Gluten Free APA and it says to "mix syrup and water and bring to a boil" I am assuming that they mean bring the water to a boil first remove from heat add syrup then return to a boil. I know it is a dumb question but I have never used Sorghum or Brown Rice Syrup and want to make sure I treat it like LME.

I was checking out the Breiss Hopy to be Gluten Free APA and it says to "mix syrup and water and bring to a boil" I am assuming that they mean bring the water to a boil first remove from heat add syrup then return to a boil. I know it is a dumb question but I have never used Sorghum or Brown Rice Syrup and want to make sure I treat it like LME.

You can really mix it whenever you want. It absorbs a little easier into hotter water. Same with LME.

So it appears that Amber Agave Nectar does nothing for the color of the beer. I did it last night and my beer was actually green from all the hops.

So it appears that Amber Agave Nectar does nothing for the color of the beer. I did it last night and my beer was actually green from all the hops.

As cool as that is, I think it will settle and the beer will end up being pale ale colored again. Might be fun to plop some pellets into some glasses on St. Paddy's though. :mug:

what are you getting the Sorghum and brown rice syrup? I am going gluten free for a bit to see if it gets rid of some stuff I thought was from allergies. I really hope that is not it but I thought i better check into some GF brewing :)

Process question - when adding a large amount of hops at flame-out, as this recipe calls for, simply drop them in or filter on their way to the fermentor?

I use a simple hop spider bag to keep things clean through the boil, but if adding at flame-out the hops would only get a brief contact with the wort before it's moved to the fermentor.

I'm worried that leaving the hops in the fermentor (especially that many) will greatly impact the flavor - but I don't want to waste them for just a moment's utilization post-boil.

opinions?

Zman - I tried this without reading all the posts. I'm experiencing the same green color. Where you able to correct it? If so how so?

Thanks!

How did you get the FG so low using sorghum syrup? I thought it was only 75% fermentable.

Back