Summit Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
I stopped by my LHBS to get a few ingredients, and the woman working told me they had just gotten in a new kind of hops: Summit.

I'd never heard of them, and she said they were some new hybrid, I believe. She also said they had an alpha of 17-19%!! She said they smelled really "rank." I was impressed, but also a bit put off. The other thing she mentioned was that nobody had any recipes for them yet since they were so new and so powerful.

Has anyone else heard of these? I'm thinking about using them when I do my Imperial IPA next year. Should kick it up quite a bit on the old IBUs.

From what I've read they seem to be very citrusy, kind of orange-like. Sounds like it'd be good for both bittering and flavoring American IPAs, maybe with other citrusy hops.

I want to get some of these, but I need to use up a WHOLE bunch more hops before that.

I don't believe I've had a homebrew or commercial beer with Summit hops. Must fix that.

I can't believe those AA%!!!!!!!!!

Buford said:
From what I've read they seem to be very citrusy, kind of orange-like. Sounds like it'd be good for both bittering and flavoring American IPAs, maybe with other citrusy hops.

Sounds perfect. I was already planning on using Centennial and Cascade hops for my IIPA. I think Summit would blend really nicely with them. My goal is to try for something close to Dogfish Head's 90 Minute Imperial IPA, with the almost continuous hop addition. Should be fun!

Back