Beer Allergy Diagnosis???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imp_atient

Reaction score
So I've at times had allergic reactions to beer and I couldn't find a thread here that addressed the topic (I did end up finding some after more extensive searching)...

Symptoms: Runny nose, coughing, lung congestion (like asthma)

So today I drank a St. Peters Winter Ale, Faxe Strong Beer (bear with me, I'm aging my brews so I'm trying not to consume them before they reach their prime). Anyways, I'm totally fine and then...I drink an Imperial Coffee Stout and can't even finish it my airway is full of mucus and I'm blowing my nose constantly.

Then I thought back, I've had the same reaction to Guinness and Fort Garry Dark.

So, I'm not allergic to yeast or gluten. Most beers and all breads are fine.
I'm not reacting to histamines from the fermentation process because I eat a lot of high histamine food with no reaction. What else is there?

The only connection I can see here is dark beer...what the heck could be in stouts and dark beer that would cause this reaction??? :drunk:

I figured who better to ask then home brewers to know/suggest/contemplate what ingredient might be setting it off.

Cheers

Before you said yeast/gluten I would have said that...now Im not sure. I'm "allergic" to beer- meaning I turn red (must be the Native American in me). Ever had an allergy test?

Interesting, but if you think you have an allergy this is really something you should probably go to a doctor and get tested for. There is an off chance you could have a severe reaction to something similar without making the connection.

Interesting. Obviously anything answered here is total speculation and you should see a doctor if its bothering you, but I would have guessed gluten too. I've also heard of breathing symptoms associated with liver problems, but I'm definitely no doc.

Yeah, I've got an appointment with the doc on Jan 15th so we'll see. I'm not taking any advice given on this site as serious health advice...

I was just hoping for some thoughts while I wait or maybe some crazy brew nut might be like: "Dark malt has specific co-enzymes that stimulate the production of allergens in the hypothalamus...."

Cheers

I know of people which turn bright red when drinking (which is a form of an allergic rx), but to go through anaphalaxis is pretty serious. The next reaction you have could completely close your airway. I would definitely recommend seeing your doc and maybe carrying an epi pen. I work on an ambulance and have seen anaphalactic pt's.....bad stuff...
Maybe it's the different malt's your allergic to?
Good Luck..
:confused:

Possiblity you having a negative reaction to the various B-vitamins in beer. You may just have a developed a sensitivity to them and certain brews will contain higher "doses" of B-vit. than others. Just a thought...

Yeah, I've got an appointment with the doc on Jan 15th so we'll see. I'm not taking any advice given on this site as serious health advice...

I was just hoping for some thoughts while I wait or maybe some crazy brew nut might be like: "Dark malt has specific co-enzymes that stimulate the production of allergens in the hypothalamus...."

Cheers

They just roast it a bit longer and hotter.... I couldn't find much and this looks like no help. You might try a company that does the malting, explain your situation, and see if they can offer clues. Good luck and stay away from the darks..... :(

Let me preface this by saying Im only a 3rd year medical student. That being said, it sounds like you ARE having a "hay fever" like reaction to whatever is in those beers. I dont really know what you mean by "high histamine" foods, if what you mean as foods that cause a release of histamine in some people, then I guess I understand.

Your symptoms are from the immediate release of histamine from your own cells caused by a hypersensitivity reaction from something in the beer; not anaphylaxis, which is multi-systemic. Your doctor is most likely going to tell you to avoid the substance that offends your system; so what that means for you is, no dark beer.

Caramelization produces so many different kinds of chemicals(probably in the dozens to hundreds depending on the amount of non-enzymatic browning from the kiln) that you are probably having your reaction to one, if not more, of those compounds produced from a Maillard-like reaction after the barley is malted.

Combining sugars with amino acids results in the color change of the barley,Maillard Reaction, that is used in those darker beers, and because AA chains are notoriously responsible for immune reactions, my guess is that you are correct in thinking that those dark beers are causing your symptoms.

Hopefully your doctor will have better answers for you than me, but the first thing he is going to say is "remove the offense".

Is there sulfite in some beer? I know that sulfite in wines can cause reactions like that.

Do you ever get this problem after drinking commercially produced wine?

Does it happen on your third beer everytime, or just the dark ones regardless of how many you've had before it?

Allergic reactions to things can get really, really bad. I used to be able to eat crab and lobster, but now I can't really do that breathing thing too well if I do. Get worse the last three times I ate shellfish, so I decided lobster and crab weren't really worth dying for and stopped. I'm not sure if I'd make the same decision for beer or not, though...

Is there sulfite in some beer? I know that sulfite in wines can cause reactions like that.

Do you ever get this problem after drinking commercially produced wine?

There are sulfites in all beer, but in no case that I am aware are there added sulfites (only naturally occurring). In any case, if sulfites were above 10 ppm, they label would have to indicate it (in the US).

My suggestion is from an experimental stand point. If you have an LHBS, go and buy a few ounces of each of the dark malts (chocolate, black barley, etc). Then without drinking any beer that day, eat one of the types of dark barley ( and only one). This would identify if you are allergic to one of the malts. If you try more than one you get a confounding effect and won't be able to tell if it is one or more of the malts you react to.

If you don't react, then we are looking at an interaction of the yeast and a dark malt. What that would be would take a lab full of expensive equipment.

Of course, this idea has a potential to cause you harm as you could go into a larger allergic reaction. So try this at your own risk and in the presence of someone who could drive you the hospital.

Odds are you are sensitive to a common ingredient to the beers you listed. Unfortunately, Fort Garry does not list the types of malts they brewed the dark ale with.

You could contact them for a list of types of malts they use, then compare it to Guiness' ingredient list and the Imperial Stout you mentioned. This would help to identify the culprit.

Good luck!

i know that when i over indulge in beer, my allergies are always worse the next day... i don't necessarily get any effects when i'm drinking, but my sinuses are always all messed up the next day (particularly in the winter). i'm interested to hear what your doc tells you.

I dont really know what you mean by "high histamine" foods, if what you mean as foods that cause a release of histamine in some people, then I guess I understand.

I was reading (from a non-reliable internet e-health source) that histamines are a byproduct of the fermentation process and that there are some foods that contain natural histamines (spinach and tomatoes were two listed). Therefore by drinking beer you are introducing histamines to your system which can in rare instances ???cause them to bind to mast cells??? and create an allergic reaction.

Anyways, this is sort of fun. I'm going to try an experiment tonight and see if I can find any academic literature. I have one stout and one light beer left in the fridge so I'll try both and see what happens.

I have exactly the same reaction to animal dander and all my friends have pets so I'm pretty used to being stuffed up by something or other. Might as well be productive about it.

I was reading (from a non-reliable internet e-health source) that histamines are a byproduct of the fermentation process and that there are some foods that contain natural histamines (spinach and tomatoes were two listed). Therefore by drinking beer you are introducing histamines to your system which can in rare instances ???cause them to bind to mast cells??? and create an allergic reaction.

Thats the problem with some of those internet health sites, they use a lot of laymen terms/explanations that differ from health professional's language. One of the things I have learned about medicine is that there is a medical term for everything.

Histamine doesnt bind to mast cells to cause inflammation, it is released by them, and binds to different H Receptors on a lot of types of tissue to stimulate the inflammatory reaction. The allergen/antigen binds to IgE on the surface of the mast cells and then they degranulate with a bunch of chemicals that cause your symptoms. Mainly histamine.

Maybe what the article was getting at is that fish and other food, contain histadine, which can be converted to histamine, under particular circumstances. But I would advise against trying to figure out what your allergic to by ingesting the substance, that sounds like a bad idea. Make sure you have benadryl on hand if you decide to do that, it could save your life.

Good luck with your doctor's appointment and I hope he doesnt advise you to avoid beer, alltogether. That would suck.

But I would advise against trying to figure out what your allergic to by ingesting the substance, that sounds like a bad idea.

Yeah, good point. I suppose I should drop my "Using Poison Ivy as Toilet Paper" experiment next week as well. Rats.

Seriously though, thanks for all the info, I'll have to wait a month now to see what the doc says. I'll ditch the dark beer consumption idea, I hate Benadryl, it gives me "kicky" legs, you know when you can't keep your legs still?

Then I'll have to sit up all night and think of things to put in the "You know you're a brewer when..." thread.

My Dad hasn't been able to have a beer for ~30 years because he is severely allergic to hops. The last beer he had, he ended up in the ER because it triggered a massive asthma attack.

I know you mentioned dark malts, so this might not be it, but there's always that possibility.

OH NO! That sucks. I usually taste my hops, smell my hops and if I'm priming with a hops tea I drink some....so I'd definitely be in trouble if that was the case.

This is kind of a saddening thread...alas the quest must go on...

Okay, so I did an experiment anyways and timed it like a boil....(with antihistamines nearby...relax)

I drank 250ml of Hockley stout (1 cup). BTW, Hurray Ontario Craft Brewers....booyah!

Within 5 minutes - Stoned feeling
15 min - Chest congestion and tightening
30 min - Sneezing, runny nose + itchy neck (lymph nodes???)
45 min - Coughing up mucus (mild, like you know it's over)
60 min - Back to normal

Half and hour after this I drank 500ml (2 cups) of light beer. I was perfectly fine, no reaction.

So the quest continues. Now SWMBO wants to use the computer to watch the Oprah Obama interview...my beer forum conversation is trumped.

Lots of solid suggestions from everyone!!!!....there are no dark malts available to chew on where I live but sounds good. After my experiment I think I've narrowed it down enough to do some research. I'll hit up the university library and get back. Hopefully this isn't completely self centered and others with similar "afflictions" (ha ha) can relate!

Okay, so I did an experiment anyways and timed it like a boil....(with antihistamines nearby...relax)

I drank 250ml of Hockley stout (1 cup). BTW, Hurray Ontario Craft Brewers....booyah!

Within 5 minutes - Stoned feeling
15 min - Chest congestion and tightening
30 min - Sneezing, runny nose + itchy neck (lymph nodes???)
45 min - Coughing up mucus (mild, like you know it's over)
60 min - Back to normal

Half and hour after this I drank 500ml (2 cups) of light beer. I was perfectly fine, no reaction.

So the quest continues. Now SWMBO wants to use the computer to watch the Oprah Obama interview...my beer forum conversation is trumped.

Lots of solid suggestions from everyone!!!!....there are no dark malts available to chew on where I live but sounds good. After my experiment I think I've narrowed it down enough to do some research. I'll hit up the university library and get back. Hopefully this isn't completely self centered and others with similar "afflictions" (ha ha) can relate!

Its a sign from God to drink Light Beer !!!

How is Lakehead these days? I went there for a semester in 1996, spent 10 grand to realize university wasn't for me...lol then I broke a record for sitting on a couch the longest and then quit. lol

Its a sign from God to drink Light Beer !!!

Aren't those folks more concerned with turning water into wine??? Lord knows after a hard day of carpentry a beer is quite refreshing.

How is Lakehead these days? I went there for a semester in 1996, spent 10 grand to realize university wasn't for me...lol then I broke a record for sitting on a couch the longest and then quit. lol

Um, it's alright. I'm teaching there now...which I never expected. Just imagine marking the assignment of a student who
broke a record for sitting on a couch the longest and then quit
Trust me, you're not the only one.

Several of the paper mills in town are going under, real estate is cheap like borscht, and a local craft brewer opened up and went under in about a year....which makes me sad...I bought his beer but this town is just too obsessed with commercial, cheap beer. If we're in a recession we may as well drink good beer....right?

So strange, you cross the border into the States and it's like people understand brewing, Duluth and Grand Marais get it but T-bay doesn't.

We have the same problem here with the craft brews. The only craft brews you can get here is unibroue, and we have to enter quebec for those.

What do you teach there?

Fyi, I was the original couch sitter...lol

After my experiment I did a brief search on PubMed and Allied Health Source yielding very little medical research into beer allergies.

I'll revise my search terms and see what I can come up with. Considering the amount of people who have posted and are allergic to beer in some way, shape or form...I think perhaps a literature review would be fun.

I've noticed years ago the first two beers I slam in the morning make me sneeze.

There is such a thing as being addicted to allergens, I surmise.

After my experiment I did a brief search on PubMed and Allied Health Source yielding very little medical research into beer allergies.

I'll revise my search terms and see what I can come up with. Considering the amount of people who have posted and are allergic to beer in some way, shape or form...I think perhaps a literature review would be fun.

Here is a list found in Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=common+allergens+found+in+beer&hl=en&btnG=Search&as_sdt=2001&as_sdtp=on

These stood out to me:

A case of allergy to beer showing cross-reactivity between lipid transfer proteins

Authors: Asero, Riccardo1; Mistrello, Gianni2; Roncarolo, Daniela2; Amato, Stefano2; vanRee, Ronald3

Source: Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, Volume 87, Number 1, July 2001 , pp. 65-67(3)

Publisher: American College of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology

Abstract:
Background: Lipid transfer proteins (LTPs) are highly conserved proteins present in a broad spectrum of fruits and vegetables that might represent a novel plant panallergen.

Objective: To demonstrate that LTP is an important allergen in beer and that beer LTP cross-reacts with LTP from botanically unrelated plant-derived foods.

Methods: Serum from a patient with clinical allergy to both beer and Rosaceae was studied for IgE reactivity to LTP to several vegetable foods by RAST, ELISA, immunoblot, and inhibition studies.

Results: Patient's serum showed a strong IgE reactivity to LTP purified from peach peel, carrot, and broccoli, and to a 10 kD protein in both apple and peach immunoblots, whereas no reactivity to birch cross-reactive allergens such as Bet v 1, profilin, or carbohydrates was found. In inhibition studies, preabsorption of serum with apple, walnut, hazelnut, peanut, corn, and rice caused a fall of 97%, 20%, 66%, 91%, 94%, and 93%, respectively, of its reactivity to peach LTP. Beer RAST fell from 1.8 IU/mL to <0.1 IU/mL when a patient's serum was preabsorbed with recombinant carrot LTP.

Conclusions: LTP is a relevant allergen in beer. Beer LTP may cross-react with LTP from several other plant-derived foods.

Beer&#8208;induced anaphylaxis: identification of allergens
E Figueredo , S Quirce , A del Amo , J Cuesta , I Arrieta , C Lahoz and J Sastre
Fundación Jiménez Díaz, Servicio de Alergología, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Avda. Reyes Católicos, 2, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Correspondence to Dra. Elena Figueredo, Fundación Jiménez Díaz
Servicio de Alergia
Avda. Reyes Católicos, 2
28040 Madrid
Spain
Copyright © Munksgaard 1999
KEYWORDS
barley • beer • cereals • food allergy • immunoblotting • malt
ABSTRACT

Background: We report on a 21&#8208;year&#8208;old atopic woman who developed urticaria, angioedema of the face, and wheezy dyspnea shortly after drinking beer and after eating a corn&#8208;made snack.

Methods: Skin prick tests and specific IgE determinations to beer ingredients and cereal extracts were performed. Immunoblotting inhibition assays were carried out to investigate possible common allergens shared by barley and malt with corn.

Results: Skin prick tests and specific IgE measurements with beer, barley, malt, wheat, corn, rye, rice, and oat flour were positive. Ten pollen&#8208;allergic patients showed negative skin tests to beer. Double&#8208;blind, placebo&#8208;controlled, oral challenge tests with sodium metabisulfite and wheat flour were negative. Immunoblotting demonstrated several IgE&#8208;binding bands at 31–56 kDa in malt and barley extracts, and a major band at 38 kDa in the beer extract. Immunoblot inhibition assays showed that malt extract was able to inhibit most of the IgE&#8208;binding bands in wheat and corn extracts, whereas corn did not produce significant inhibition to barley and malt extracts.

Conclusions: This patient developed type I hypersensitivity to barley/malt and corn. Although she also showed IgE reactivity to wheat and other cereals, no symptoms were elicited upon ingestion of these cereals, probably indicating latent sensitization to them.

Anaphylaxis to wheat beer

Authors: Herzinger, Thomas; Kick, Gerold; Ludolph-Hauser, Dagmar; Przybilla, Bernhard

Source: Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, Volume 92, Number 6, June 2004 , pp. 673-675(3)

Publisher: American College of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology

Abstract:
Background: Despite its worldwide and abundant consumption, beer has rarely been found to cause anaphylaxis. Barley malt contained in lager beers seems to be an important elicitor.

Objective: To report the unusual case of severe anaphylaxis following the ingestion of wheat beer.

Methods: A 59-year-old man experienced angioedema, generalized urticaria, and unconsciousness after ingestion of wheat beer. He tolerated lager beer well. For diagnostic evaluation, skin prick tests, oral challenge tests, and identification of specific IgE antibodies were performed.

Results: Skin prick test results with standard series of common aeroallergens and food allergens were negative with the exception of a 1+ reaction to wheat flour. The results of skin prick tests with native materials were positive for 2 brands of wheat beer and wheat malt shred but negative for baker’s yeast, hops, and a brand of lager beer. Oral challenges with wheat beer or wheat flour elicited urticaria. By CAP-FEIA, specific IgE antibodies to wheat and barley flour but not to hops or baker’s yeast were found in serum. Immunoblot analysis revealed that patient’s IgE was bound to a protein of approximately 35 kDa in wheat extract.

Conclusions: This is the first report, to our knowledge, on anaphylaxis to beer attributable to wheat allergy.

Document Type: Case report

This should get you started. Good luck

I have a co-worker that can not drink my HB without having a reaction.

He drinks beers at the bars without any problem so it's either the hops or the live yeast.

+1,000 on the hops...

What kind of reaction?

My wife once had a reaction to yeast in pizza crust I made (one whole packet was too much apparently :eek: ). She had red splotches on her skin and an odd feeling.

My bet is on the yeast. I can get joint issues from my green beer which I attribute to the yeast.

What kind of reaction?

My wife once had a reaction to yeast in pizza crust I made (one whole packet was too much apparently :eek: ). She had red splotches on her skin and an odd feeling.

My bet is on the yeast. I can get joint issues from my green beer which I attribute to the yeast.
His throat starts tingling (which makes me think hops) and closes up where he can't breath. He needs his asthma meds immediately.

Immediate type allergy to malt in beer
W. G. VAN KETEL
Department of Dermatology, Free University Hospital, 10O7 MB, Amsterdam,
The Netherlands
Alcoholic beverages may cause or aggravate
atopic dermatitis (Rajka 1975) and urticaria
(Warin & Champion 1974). Sometimes it seems
that one species of alcohol is involved in these
diseases. A 30-year-old female patient suffering
from atopic dermatitis appeared to be allergic
to an alcoholic "atmosphere".
After entering a bar her face became red.
swollen and itchy after staying for 1 or 2 minutes.
She showed the same symptoms in a
room where visitors were drinking alcohol.
When her husband had drunk a glass of beer,
kissing on the mouth provoked redness and itching
of the lips and surrounding skin within a
few minutes.
When her husband drank any other alcoholic
drink she tolerated kissing without any trouble.
The patient herself tolerated drinking other
alcoholic beverages very well. She refused to
drink any kind of beer because on one occasion
she developed shock after drinking a
mouthful of beer.
A scratch test with beer was performed on
the forearm. The reaction was positive in a
few minutes and appeared to be very strong
after 20 min. The edema around the test site
spread to the upper arm, which became swollen
within 30 min after the test. These symptoms
disappeared after 2 h.
Another female patient aged 45 had recurrent
urticaria especially after drinking beer. An
immediate type scratch test with beer was positive.
A liter of this beer appeared to contain
t40 g malt, 35 g maize and 0.4 g extract of
hops. Scratch testing with these substances (5
and 10 % aqueous extracts) showed positive
reactions to malt. The reactions to solutions of
maize, hops and ethanol 70 % were negative.
When preparing the wort, the extracts of malt,
maize and hops are boiled for 2 h. A scratch
test with a 10 % extract of this mixture appeared
to be positive.
Ten beer drinking controls showed negative
scratch tests to beer. Two controls were tested
with the extracts of malt, maize and hops and
the boiled mixture. All reactions were negative.
Therefore it is unlikely that beer or its components
are histamine liberators.
It is evident that patients with atopic dermatitis
or urticaria may develop immediate type
reactions to beer. Life is not all beer and
skittles!

References
Rajka, G. (1975) Atopic Dermatitis, p. 69.
London, Philadelphia, Toronto: Saunders.
Warin, R. P. & Champion, R. H. (1974) Urticaria,
p. 51. London, Philadelphia, Toronto:
Saunders.

You peaked my interest Imp-atient! I found the above short communication.

I did find an article that I would have to order:
Title: Allergy from certain beer types
Author(s): Teuscher D
Source: DEUTSCHE MEDIZINISCHE WOCHENSCHRIFT Volume: 65 Pages: 59-59 Part: Part 1 Published: 1939

I am concerned that it is in German and I would have to work on the translation Plus, it is from 1939 with no citations since then. Not sure if it would be worth ordering.

SWEET! Thanks Brew-Happy...I always go onto the journal databases without thinking of Google Scholar....duh!

Now I have my bed time stories.....or maybe I'll do a scratch test on myself...or maybe not.

Cheers! Oh and that last one you dug up is BLOODY HILARIOUS...honestly, that's a tagline in the making...hmmmm, I wonder how many wives tolerate kissing their husband after he's had a glass of beer...

When her husband had drunk a glass of beer,
kissing on the mouth provoked redness and itching
of the lips and surrounding skin within a
few minutes.
When her husband drank any other alcoholic
drink she tolerated kissing without any trouble.

Oh man, it's getting worse. Now if I drink homebrew I wake up early in the morning (between 3 and 5am) with the lungs all clogged and I have to sit there for an hour coughing to wait until it gets better.

This totally sucks...I don't want to have to go to homewinebrewtalk...:(

See the doc in 2 days.

Oh man, it's getting worse. Now if I drink homebrew I wake up early in the morning (between 3 and 5am) with the lungs all clogged and I have to sit there for an hour coughing to wait until it gets better.

This totally sucks...I don't want to have to go to homewinebrewtalk...:(

See the doc in 2 days.

Damned. If it weren't for brew I'd be having a hard time cleaning out my basement right now.....;)

I also seem to have a mild allergic reaction to beer. So far, without serious experimentation, I seem to have a stuffier nose with higher alcohol beers then with lower. However, I seem to have lots of congestion in general, so I'm not sure if I'm producing more mucus when drinking beer, or just it's just a coincidence.

Back