About to start my first batch...any advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebamaking

Reaction score
So to be quite honest i'm a little scared to start my first batch of beer, only because i learn more about the process with every little bit of information i read. Does anyone have any advice for the first timer, maybe what a lot of people forget or overlook about the process or what messes alot of people up.

Relax. Don't get frustrated or worried if something doesn't go exactly according to plan. It will still probably turn out OK.

Much like a wedding, your first batch of homebrew will inevitably involve some kind of mistake(s) being made, but that's ok just use it as a tool to learn how to improve things for next time.

Don't take it too seriously.
Take it easy.
Make sure you sanitize well.
Just follow whatever instructions you have and you'll be fine.
Have fun!

My advice is read everything in the FAQ section on this site. There's a staggering amount of information there alone, not to mention the rest of this forum. But, the sticky posts in mosts of the forums here on HBT can answer 90% of your questions. The other 10% can probably be answered by using the search feature.

yeh i mean sometimes it just helps to have personalized answers but i agree im an idiot i should stop posting so much and start reading...

1. Be cool. Nearly every mistake I've made was due to rushing things or freaking out (even if just a little).

2. Be prepared. Nearly every other mistake I've made was because I lit the fire before I took that little bit of extra time to get things ready. Preparation includes education, sanitation, knowing what your equipment is (and, to some extent, how to use it), and some degree of mis en place (i.e., putting things in their place - getting your ingredients and gear ready to go).

3. Be sober (at least for the first few batches or until you feel very comfortable). The rest of the mistakes I've made were because I got too far into my beer before I got far enough into my brewing.

4. Be realistic. You will make at least one mistake. Very likely, you will make many. Drive on.

5. Be a secretary. Take good notes on what you did (or did not do), so you learn from the mistakes you make.

6. Have fun!

TL

yeh i mean sometimes it just helps to have personalized answers but i agree im an idiot i should stop posting so much and start reading...

I wasn't implying this at all! Sorry if I came across this way. I was just pointing out the stupid amount of information here. It really is a stupid amount of information..... but by all means..ask questions!

+1 to TexLaw
+1 to forcera

But, sanitize with something other than bleach. I suggest Starsan!!

Also, there is a thread on "the mistakes you've have made, but the beer turned out great anyway", Read that and notice that you usually have to try very hard to make it go bad. Enjoy the journey, take your time, write notes, drink a little commercial beer along the way to keep you calm.

Post your progress, sometimes, posting makes you think of something you forgot.

If you are still woried, send your wort or bottles to me, I will "fix" it for you!:ban:

So to be quite honest i'm a little scared to start my first batch of beer, only because i learn more about the process with every little bit of information i read. Does anyone have any advice for the first timer, maybe what a lot of people forget or overlook about the process or what messes alot of people up.

I just finished batch 6 and all I can say is .... I feel your pain.

Let me see if I can offer some tips that might help:

1. Don't focus on this batch so much but think about the next one - once I started to see beyond getting it perfect all at once it took pressure off
  2. Think long term - while you might be able to drink the batch sooner, it seems like things go better when I plan for at least 4 weeks and 6 weeks is even better - it just seems to take the pressure off
  3. Clean your area before starting and reserve space for yourself for "oh no" moments - worst thing is having something you want to put down and no spot to do it
  4. When your instructions tell you to set something out, actually do it - I find it much easier when I get everything out and ready before I start
  5. Try to get everything done prior to starting a boil - things go easier for me when I'm not fishing out some equipment or ingredient
  6. Think of the step in front of you, then think of the next and what you will need, then the next, etc until you are pretty sure you have it all ready
  7. Estimate the time, then double it, then clear your calendar for that time - you can manage time later but don't rush it the first time
  8. Be a little scared of being sanitary but don't let it cripple you
  9. Have a spray bottle of sanitizer ready - if you forget to sanitize something it's nice to have a spray bottle ready to fix that - if you have a spare bucket it's nice to have this ready for soaking items
  10. Clean as you go - I like having space and putting stuff away helps

Back