Monk's Cafe - Closed Indefinitely

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
This came as a shock on the AM news radio this morning.

For those not in the know, Monk's is the epitome of Belgian beer bars, not just in the US, but renown worldwide. This is a shame.

The closure is not a product of the economy, but rather due to building code violations and a tragic accident that happened to apartment residents above the bar.

We can only hope the woman recovers quickly and the bar does as well.

Fatal fall closes Monk's Cafe building | Philadelphia Inquirer | 08/31/2009

They said on the news last night that they were only closed temporarily.

The residents of the building also had to temporarily relocate while the building's owner makes the appropriate repairs. Course, the building owner(s) is going to have a big lawsuit on their hands with this one.

This came as a shock on the AM news radio this morning.

For those not in the know, Monk's is the epitome of Belgian beer bars, not just in the US, but renown worldwide. This is a shame.

The closure is not a product of the economy, but rather due to building code violations and a tragic accident that happened to apartment residents above the bar.

We can only hope the woman recovers quickly and the bar does as well.

Fatal fall closes Monk's Cafe building | Philadelphia Inquirer | 08/31/2009

I haven't heard this joke sine the movie Top Secret!

French fries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Belgian historian Jo Gerard recounts that potatoes were already fried in 1680 in the Spanish Netherlands, in the area of "the Meuse valley between Dinant and Liège, Belgium. The poor inhabitants of this region allegedly had the custom of accompanying their meals with small fried fish, but when the river was frozen and they were unable to fish, they cut potatoes lengthwise and fried them in oil to accompany their meals."[12][13][14][15]

A Belgian legend claims that the term "French" was introduced when British or American soldiers arrived in Belgium during World War I, and consequently tasted Belgian fries. They supposedly called them "French", as it was the official language of the Belgian Army at that time.[15]

Whether or not Belgians invented them, "frites" became the national snack and a substantial part of both national dishes, making the Belgians their largest per capita consumers[citation needed] in Europe and their symbolic creators.

This seems like typical breaking news, contradictory in its simplicity:
A reporter on Channel 6 just said the building will be “condemned, closing Monk’s Cafe and putting 13 residents out on the street.” That was ameliorated somewhat when he later added “there’s no telling when the building will be deemed safe enough for Monk’s to reopen.

If you check the front page of Jack's site, it's updated with an email from Tom Peters who says they will be open late today or Tuesday...though, Jack later mentions the Friday reassessment as a possible problem with that plan:

I phoned our landlord and he came down to assess the situation. He was visibly shaken. He handles all the rentals himself, so he knows the victims. He is a good guy. He seems to be doing maintenance on a regular basis, so I feel that the building is basically sound. I often see him with his tool kit, or bringing in a plumber, electrician, etc. He has already hired a structural engineer to see if there are any defects that need to be addressed in the apartment section of the building. We’re all set in the restaurant section of the building. We should be open sometime on Monday, or at the latest, on Tuesday. Right now, everything depends upon our landlord.

Jack Curtin’s LIQUID DIET

either way, it's a real tragedy for those two folks and their families & friends.

French fries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Belgian historian Jo Gerard recounts that potatoes were already fried in 1680 in the Spanish Netherlands, in the area of "the Meuse valley between Dinant and Liège, Belgium. The poor inhabitants of this region allegedly had the custom of accompanying their meals with small fried fish, but when the river was frozen and they were unable to fish, they cut potatoes lengthwise and fried them in oil to accompany their meals."[12][13][14][15]

A Belgian legend claims that the term "French" was introduced when British or American soldiers arrived in Belgium during World War I, and consequently tasted Belgian fries. They supposedly called them "French", as it was the official language of the Belgian Army at that time.[15]

Whether or not Belgians invented them, "frites" became the national snack and a substantial part of both national dishes, making the Belgians their largest per capita consumers[citation needed] in Europe and their symbolic creators.

I think the term you're looking for is "frenched" (with the -ed ending). This means long thin cuts. Ergo, our "French fries" should rightfully be called "Frenched fries"...at least that's the way I learned it many years ago.

We also used the terms "French cut" and "Julienne" for long thin slices. ;)

Latest posts

Back