Cream Ale Fizzy Yellow Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged it this afternoon. The beer finished out at 1.010. The hydro sample tasted wonderful, even un-carbonated and warm. Looking forward to tapping the keg in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Got a batch of this boiling right now. Been looking forward to trying this one. I have never used S-05 before. Will it give a violent ferment @62 degrees or average? I have a regular airlock on my bucket. I have not had the need for a blow off tube yet, but I though I better ask before its too late.

Got a batch of this boiling right now. Been looking forward to trying this one. I have never used S-05 before. Will it give a violent ferment @62 degrees or average? I have a regular airlock on my bucket. I have not had the need for a blow off tube yet, but I though I better ask before its too late.

My fermentation was very slow/mild @ 62*F with S-05, but still got good attenuation. 5 gallons of wort in a ~6 gallon vessel, did not need a blow-off.

My fermentation was very slow/mild @ 62*F with S-05, but still got good attenuation. 5 gallons of wort in a ~6 gallon vessel, did not need a blow-off.

Thanks. Just pitched as normal. Can't wait.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403324752.784901.jpg

Hooray beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewed this up this morning. OG came in a touch low at 1.05, but no worries there.
Pitched a few hours ago, anxiously awaiting the first bubble :D

I have a seven gallon batch of Yooper's Yellow that has been bottle conditioning for 4 weeks now. I scaled this up to 7 Gallons following the recipe to the tee except that I mashed at 149 for 90 min. (I like dryer beers)
My original gravity was 1.058.
I used a big starter of WLP001. The Chico ate through this stuff with a vengeance leaving my final gravity at 1.005
I thought it would be completely without body but it came out really great with just a slight sweetness and a crisp clean finish. It reminds me somewhat of a good German Pilsner. The ABV is 6.96 but you can't sense it until it's too late.
Everyone that has tried this so far loves it. It is absolutely delicious. Thanks for posting this.

Has anyone made both Yoopers YF and BM's CCC? Can anyone compare and contrast them? I made a CCC with all SAAZ that is outstanding but I always like to do something different and Y's YF looks good...

Any help, comments are appreciated..

JB

making my second batch of this today. first batch was simply excellent!

only small difference is I dry hopped with 30g perle three days before bottling.

very popular with my lager drinking friends.

I'm brewing this today, but with crystal hops instead of the German hops. I'm making a 10.5 batch, to have on tap for friends who like a lighter beer style, and not "that homebrew stuff". :D

I am going to use a slurry of BRY97, and hope that it clears well as the last time I used BRY97 I was unhappy with the clarity.

This looks like a really great beer, but I am not ready for AG yet... does anyone have an extract version (or one that is similar to this)?

Unfortunately, there isn't a sub for Vienna malt, although pilsner malt comes in DME. If you could do a partial mash, and mash the Vienna, it might be doable.

You could maybe use some Munich extract, just increase the amount of pils extract and use less Munich than you would Vienna. It won't be quite the same, but should work out okay. Otherwise partial mash is your best bet.

EDIT: Weyermann makes an extract called Vienna Red, made from Vienna, Melanoidin, and Pilsner malts. Can't seem to find it at any of my usual online shops though.

I'm brewing this today, but with crystal hops instead of the German hops. I'm making a 10.5 batch, to have on tap for friends who like a lighter beer style, and not "that homebrew stuff". :D

I am going to use a slurry of BRY97, and hope that it clears well as the last time I used BRY97 I was unhappy with the clarity.

This turned out pretty nice, but the BRY97 is taking longer to clear than I'm accustomed to with my usual yeast strains.

It's 11 days old, so hopefully it will clear up in the kegerator over the next 5-6 days!

what's it like with crystal? i've quite honestly never been the hugest crystal fan and i felt the german hops in this recipe were part of its charm.

Just tasted the finished product: DAMN. Very nice. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I think this will be in the regular rotation.

So the batch with Notty... Came out super clean. Pretty much no malt or hop character to speak of. Kind of tastes like nothing... Which is pretty impressive actually haha.

what's it like with crystal? i've quite honestly never been the hugest crystal fan and i felt the german hops in this recipe were part of its charm.

Well, it's ok. It's definitely clean and low on aroma and flavor, so I don't notice that it's a huge difference over the German hops really but I do prefer the original overall.

First keg went real fast, all my friends loved it. Just made my second batch. Both times I had to sub Belgian Pilsner for UK Pilsner since my LBS does not carry UK Pilsner. Great recipe!

Did a similar recipe yesterday, not quite the same (but somewhat inspired) as this one. Mashed at 153 deg:
5.5 lbs Vienna,
4 lbs 2 row,
.5 lb carapils.
.5 oz perle @ 60
.5 oz cascade @ 15
.5 oz cascade @ 5
US-05

Hope it's as good as the reviews about the original (which I do plan on trying down the road). Last minute at the LHBS, I decided I wanted a touch of cascade flavor, so just went with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewing up another batch of this tomorrow. First time I've brewed since July, been way too busy these last few months. Time to get the pipeline going again.

Only change is this time I'll be using a lager yeast, just for kicks. Two packs of Saflager W-34/70 Weihenstephen German lager. It'll be interesting to see how it compares. Same grain bill and hop schedule otherwise.

Buh. Might've f***ed it up a bit.

Brew day went off without a hitch, but as I was waiting for the fermenter to cool down to pitching temp, life got in the way and I wasn't able to pitch yeast until really late last night. I was tired and had to get up at 4:30am, so I didn't bother rehydrating the yeast first. The package says "Pitching: Sprinkle into wort" after all.

Big mistake. Both packets immediately clumped up into a giant yeast ball. I spent about 10 minutes trying to break up the large yeast ball into several smaller yeast balls with a sanitized spoon before I gave up and went to bed. :eek:

Looking at the yeast's spec page on Fermentis' website, it says to only direct-pitch if the wort temp is above 68°F. $#!t. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.... :drunk:

Report back and let us know how it goes.

Will do. I might have to try again though depending on how bad I've f***ed up here.

Whelp as of this morning it's bubbling away, so I guess I didn't totally FUBAR the thing. Now I'm just hoping for no off-flavors from my horrible pitching technique.

I am really surprised this recipe didn't get more attention. This is a very simple recipe but everyone likes it. My first batch only lasted a week. So I just ordered grains for two more batches.:mug:

These go down too easy!
Crowd pleaser.
Another great recipe, cheers Yooper!
(Lousy pictureImageUploadedByHome Brew1416456749.232463.jpg)

Whelp as of this morning it's bubbling away, so I guess I didn't totally FUBAR the thing. Now I'm just hoping for no off-flavors from my horrible pitching technique.
You should be fine. US-05 is my "house" strain. It is a really hearty yeast that can withstand a good amount of abuse and still come out okay.

I am really surprised this recipe didn't get more attention. This is a very simple recipe but everyone likes it. My first batch only lasted a week. So I just ordered grains for two more batches.:mug:
Well, I agree. However, if you read the many, many, many threads that begin Looking for a BMC clone recipe....it's FOR my wife/father in law/not me! should be some indication for why this is not as popular.

Also look at how many craft beers are ales, ~95%. Yeah, I now, this is an ale too--but it is an ale that mimics BMCs. Also look at user-sigs and the numbers of hip beers are being brewed. To put it simply, fizzy yellow pizz ain't cool.

Too bad because this is one awesome beer.

You should be fine. US-05 is my "house" strain. It is a really hearty yeast that can withstand a good amount of abuse and still come out okay.

I actually used Saflager W-34/70 for this batch.

Kegged it last night. It didn't attenuate as far down as I would've liked, but the hydrometer sample tasted alright and the beer was crystal clear going into the keg. Looking forward to a second taste testing after it carbs up and lagers a bit.

Got the week off of work so I propagated some pacman yeast from a shakspeare stout and got the other ingredients to make some fizzy yellow beer up to have on tap for around christmas :mug:

I meant to lager it a few more weeks before trying it, but I got impatient. Tapped it tonight. It could certainly benefit from a bit more lagering time and carbonation, but so far it's pretty good.

Light and crisp. Slight chill haze that fades as it warms into a pretty, clear beer. It seems to be a lot darker in color than my previous batch, not sure what that's about. I'll let it sit a few more weeks before coming back to it.

I think I'll try a German ale yeast for my next batch...View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418354158.248017.jpg

Back