Received Dented Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin_

Reaction score
Hi all.

I came home today to a delivery from Austin Homebrew. I had ordered a 6 gallon better bottle. It is my first Better Bottle. The only problem is that in shipping it managed to get dented on one side. I was able to push out most of the dent with my carboy brush, but a few small dents remained. My questions are whether or not these small dents matter, will it weaken the bottle at all, and do any of yall have dented better bottle that work fine?

If it works fine I don't care if it's dented. Seems more of a hassle to send it back and get a new one than to live with a cosmetic defect. What are yalls opinions?

Sorry for the image quality. My camera is dead and I had to use my phone.

BetterBottle.jpg

Thanks!

My concern wouldn't be so much about the bottle being weaker so much as whether or not the dent caused any surface imperfections on the inside of the bottle that could be a harbor for bacteria. I think I'd definitely ask for a replacement.

I got my last BB that was dented for a discount at a LHBS.... All has been well so far...

However, if you paid new, I would expect new....

Just my $.02...

Was the box dented or damaged?

It probably is OK, but new is supposed to be new and not damage. They can take a beating though.

I have this one full of Apfelwein at the moment. No problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the box was looking rather rough. It looks like they sat a heavy load on it somewhere along the line through the UPS system. I'm going to call Austin Homebrew and talk to them. I was really wanting to get two batches done this weekend. I guess one will have to wait.

I have one that suffered a similar fate. I've been using it for a long time with no issues. IMO, it's not worth worrying about unless it's really bad. If the plastic isn't obviously cracked or something, there's likely little to no real damage other than cosmetic.

BTW, filling it with water will help pop the dents reasonably well... I wouldn't hit it with a carboy brush, you're just going to wind up scratching it, which is more damaging than the dent ever would be.

Didn't a recent post have email from BB saying that deformed BBs were no longer oxygen impermeable? I'd have it replaced for that reason. If it were just cosmetic I'd keep it.

Sorry that UPS crushed your bottle. We will definately replace the bottle. Just email [email protected] and let them know I approved a replacement.

Here is the problem with shipping Better Bottles:

With UPS any box that is over a certain size I will be charged for 30 pounds no matter what the weight is.

If we put the Better Bottle in another box we will pay for 30lbs when it actually weighs 4 pounds.

We have sent out hundreds and hundreds of these bottles and we have only had 2 have damage. If there is ever any problem we will take care of it.

Let me take this opportunity the let everyone know that as long as you are my customer, I will more than take care of you. If there is ever an issue, please, please, let me know first. There is no need to go on the forum and ask if you should let Austin Homebrew know about it. Of course, let me know about it, first. I can fix problems that I know about. I am here to be the best homebrew store with the best customer service. I have 30 employees so I can't always be on top of everything but if you let me know, I will more than take care of you. Thanks for all of your business and support. Always let me know if you have ideas for me.

Forrest

Back