Cherries!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Reaction score
I don't know how well the rest of the country fared but here in Nebraska the cherry crop was amazing this year. Everywhere I went I saw trees just loaded with bright red tart cherries. So what else was there to do but make some cherry mead?

I started out with 10 lbs. of pitted and crushed cherries in the primary for a 6-gallon batch for a week and then racked onto 6 more pounds of unpitted whole cherries in five gallon and three gallon secondaries.

These cherries were very red but the fermentation process has leached the color from them.

Uncovered for the photo

IMG_0771.jpg

and covered to protect the mead from light...

IMG_0773.jpg

Dang, that is a lot of good looking cherry mead! Please be sure to follow up on this post when it starts to clear. I'm curious to see what color it finishes up.

I've made cherry wine before so I pretty much know the color will be a nice red. I used a blackberry honey that I ordered from Oregon and when I opened the 4-gallon pail I was surprised at the dark color and very strong floral aroma. I'm anxious to taste this mead.

Back